Marantz SA-KI Pearl SACD Player

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Do some research on high end players and there are many that have problems. Check out the Sony SCD-1 for example. I'm not trying to pick on any particular brand or player but after my research I determined that I didn't want to spend lots of money on a player that could become a boat anchor a few years down the road. I'd rather spend the money on a DAC. IMO the SACD format, as excellent as it is, is dead in the water and will never be more than a niche format. So I'm no longer buying discs. And I'm using SACD in a dedicated two channel system. While some discs do sound fantastic in MC my preference for music is stereo. ;)

J

junchoon

Enthusiast
Do some research on high end players and there are many that have problems. Check out the Sony SCD-1 for example. I'm not trying to pick on any particular brand or player but after my research I determined that I didn't want to spend lots of money on a player that could become a boat anchor a few years down the road. I'd rather spend the money on a DAC. IMO the SACD format, as excellent as it is, is dead in the water and will never be more than a niche format. So I'm no longer buying discs. And I'm using SACD in a dedicated two channel system. While some discs do sound fantastic in MC my preference for music is stereo. ;)
may i know which lossless file based system u use at the moment? just in case my Sony die on me i have a back up solution handy. thanks.

cheers,
wps

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
may i know which lossless file based system u use at the moment? just in case my Sony die on me i have a back up solution handy. thanks.

cheers,
wps
Nothing fancy here. I'm using iTunes with Apple lossless riips via Ethernet to an AppleTV connected to an Apple 20" cinema monitor. Audio is optical to a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic external DAC.

Attachments

J

junchoon

Enthusiast
Nothing fancy here. I'm using iTunes with Apple lossless riips via Ethernet to an AppleTV connected to an Apple 20" cinema monitor. Audio is optical to a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic external DAC.

CA's DAC Magic is cool stuff! heard good reviews about it. coincidentally, i will have a chance to see it in action in an audio show soon. the BDP-83, however, will have to be delayed, as no dealer seem to be showing it in Malaysia, where i am located.

seems to remember seeing a post in avsforum discussing this DAC Magic in conjunction with the Sony SCD-XA5400ES.

cheers,
wps

H

High Fidelity

Enthusiast
Why would anyone consider using a DAC Magic with the SonyXA5400ES what purpose would it serve ?

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Duffinator I agree the Marantz Sa-7S1 & KI Black Pearl should not be purchased because they are backward machines that do not cater for surround SACD which IMO sounds better than Stereo.
That's totally dependant on the mix. There are plenty of surround mixes out there which are incredible and best their stereo counterparts, but there are also just as many awful surround mixes that are completely gimmicky and pale in comparison to the original stereo mix.

H

High Fidelity

Enthusiast
I had the Pearl in the house for a couple weeks. Got it with the intention of keeping it for my headphone rig. I have the Marantz SA11S1 in my main speaker rig. The Pearl is a FINE SOUNDING cd/sacd player. It has the Marantz house sound, warmth and PRAT to die for. The first thing that jumped out at me was the bass impact that the Pearl translated to my headphone rig. I had the Marantz SA8001 as my source before the Pearl and it had bass but not bass depth or impact like the Pearl. The Pearl sounded GREAT playing anything I threw at it from acoustic guitar, jazz, classical, solo piano and heavy metal. Where I thought the Pearl fell down was in it's interface with several functions only available via the generic remote, no balanced analog outs and it's tendency to click or pop between tracks on certain (Telarc) SACD's. I got this nagging feeling with the Pearl that it was rushed into production by taking the chassis of the Sa11S2, painting it black and throwing some copper inside here and there. The transport mechanism and materials appear to be unique to the Pearl and not from the Sa15 series or SA7/11. All in all I did not feel it worth $3000 to have to put up with some of it's idiosyncrasies to get it's wonderful sound.
Should have bought the far better & cheaper Sony XA5400ES instead of a backward Marantz no longer matters rip-off.

V

vassp

Audiophyte
joebobbiggs,
I own the pearl AMP which i love, and huge improvement over my Marantz SR 8002:). im considering buying the ki pearl cd player, In your opinion will it be a big improvement over a mid priced cd player (sa8003)? I'm deciding between the ki pearl and ud8004 universal player.

Cheers,
Vasp

J

joseph - Pa

Audiophyte
Marantz SACD PEARL

I was NOT surprised at the comments about this SACD unit.

First - I want to agree it is a bit over priced for what it gives, has or does.

With that said - clearly - I see YOU are young kids!!!

You are in a world over-valuing Home Theatre.

Many from MY era -WE KNOW when we went to a concert - I have been to many In my life...the sound ALWAYS came from in front of you - don't say anything because YOU have nothing of value to say in this regard!
So, at best left, right and maybe a center would/should suffice!

Unless you had the opportunity to stand in the middle of the stage ,even then, you would not hear sound from behind you. So 2 channel music is the WAY!!!!!

I do have the Marantz SA8003 and considering my exposure to equipment through my life I am very pleased at what I still can hear which is a lot.

ADVICE to you:
1 - beware of 3d TV - wearing glasses to view TV WILL damage your eyesight. I am actively involved to have Government investigate to determine that this profit machine is at the expense of the most valuable of senses.
Been collecting data revealing kids have spots before their eyes for a period of time beyond acceptable! This device IS the ASBESTOS litigation of the future. Should you or someone you love be involved in an accident because of this technology - I don't doubt YOU will have a difference of opinion.
2 - Consider separating your Music enjoyment from TV AKA Television to those of US with some years to the real life 2 channel environment.
Many calling to complain their music does not sound right - When they are told to switch to STEREO MODE - Exclaim WOW that sounds great!

Well - I can feel some of you saying WHO the Hell does this guy think He is?!
Maybe. LOLOLO

Concerts up front: CSN; CSN&Y; Doors; Chambers Brothers; Janis Joplin; Jimi Hendrix; Cream; Led Zeplin; Loggins & Messina; The Who; The Monkees (I can't believe it either) The Rascals and Kool & the Gang (used to hang out drinking beer with them - NBD!) The preceding is exchanged for listing my equipment as many of you do which makes me sick!

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Many from MY era -WE KNOW when we went to a concert - I have been to many In my life...the sound ALWAYS came from in front of you - don't say anything because YOU have nothing of value to say in this regard!
So, at best left, right and maybe a center would/should suffice!

Unless you had the opportunity to stand in the middle of the stage ,even then, you would not hear sound from behind you. So 2 channel music is the WAY!!!!!
Er...

hold on a second. When you go to some venues for live music you hear the ambience of the reflected sound. This is what surround channels add to a multichannel recording.

Concerts up front: CSN; CSN&Y; Doors; Chambers Brothers; Janis Joplin; Jimi Hendrix; Cream; Led Zeplin; Loggins & Messina; The Who; The Monkees (I can't believe it either) The Rascals and Kool & the Gang (used to hang out drinking beer with them - NBD!) The preceding is exchanged for listing my equipment as many of you do which makes me sick!
...and this is probably why multichannel means little to you.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis