Marantz SA-KI Pearl SACD Player

J

joebobbiggs

Audiophyte
I had the Pearl in the house for a couple weeks. Got it with the intention of keeping it for my headphone rig. I have the Marantz SA11S1 in my main speaker rig. The Pearl is a FINE SOUNDING cd/sacd player. It has the Marantz house sound, warmth and PRAT to die for. The first thing that jumped out at me was the bass impact that the Pearl translated to my headphone rig. I had the Marantz SA8001 as my source before the Pearl and it had bass but not bass depth or impact like the Pearl. The Pearl sounded GREAT playing anything I threw at it from acoustic guitar, jazz, classical, solo piano and heavy metal. Where I thought the Pearl fell down was in it's interface with several functions only available via the generic remote, no balanced analog outs and it's tendency to click or pop between tracks on certain (Telarc) SACD's. I got this nagging feeling with the Pearl that it was rushed into production by taking the chassis of the Sa11S2, painting it black and throwing some copper inside here and there. The transport mechanism and materials appear to be unique to the Pearl and not from the Sa15 series or SA7/11. All in all I did not feel it worth $3000 to have to put up with some of it's idiosyncrasies to get it's wonderful sound.

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
I had the Pearl in the house for a couple weeks. Got it with the intention of keeping it for my headphone rig. I have the Marantz SA11S1 in my main speaker rig. The Pearl is a FINE SOUNDING cd/sacd player. It has the Marantz house sound, warmth and PRAT to die for.
I'm sure the Marantz sounds just as good as you state. But I wonder if it sounds any better or even any different from any other properly made cd player?

J

junchoon

Enthusiast
did u have a chance to compare with a 1.5k Sony SCD-XA5400ES before deciding on the Pearl?

cheers,
wps

I had the Pearl in the house for a couple weeks. Got it with the intention of keeping it for my headphone rig. I have the Marantz SA11S1 in my main speaker rig. The Pearl is a FINE SOUNDING cd/sacd player. It has the Marantz house sound, warmth and PRAT to die for. The first thing that jumped out at me was the bass impact that the Pearl translated to my headphone rig. I had the Marantz SA8001 as my source before the Pearl and it had bass but not bass depth or impact like the Pearl. The Pearl sounded GREAT playing anything I threw at it from acoustic guitar, jazz, classical, solo piano and heavy metal. Where I thought the Pearl fell down was in it's interface with several functions only available via the generic remote, no balanced analog outs and it's tendency to click or pop between tracks on certain (Telarc) SACD's. I got this nagging feeling with the Pearl that it was rushed into production by taking the chassis of the Sa11S2, painting it black and throwing some copper inside here and there. The transport mechanism and materials appear to be unique to the Pearl and not from the Sa15 series or SA7/11. All in all I did not feel it worth $3000 to have to put up with some of it's idiosyncrasies to get it's wonderful sound.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
We are still talking about this? Why?
Is that what this thread is about? I guess it's only for comparisons sake. ;)

* But as far as I'm concern about this new Marantz SA-KI SACD player, I'll pass. :D

** Oh, and is it really only a Stereo 2-channel player? You got to be kidding! :eek:
Maybe they should have gone with Mono instead. :D

J

joebobbiggs

Audiophyte
I'm sure the Marantz sounds just as good as you state. But I wonder if it sounds any better or even any different from any other properly made cd player?
I guess it depends on your definition or baseline for a "properly" made cdp.

IMO the Pearl sounds much better than the 2 Sony triple sevens I had at one time and it sounds much better than the Marantz SA8001 or SA8003 that I just recently had in my head system.

I have a Sony 5400 on order but do not know if I will ever see it or not given Sony's flaky availability for any of their products. And given that I now have a Marantz SA11S1 and S2 (which currently resides in my headphone rig) if the Sony ever shows up, I may just sell it unopened as I seriously doubt it will outperform either Marantz player.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

IMO the Pearl sounds much better than the 2 Sony triple sevens I had at one time and it sounds much better than the Marantz SA8001 or SA8003 that I just recently had in my head system.

I have a Sony 5400 on order but do not know if I will ever see it or not given Sony's flaky availability for any of their products. And given that I now have a Marantz SA11S1 and S2 (which currently resides in my headphone rig) if the Sony ever shows up, I may just sell it unopened as I seriously doubt it will outperform either Marantz player.
I'd like to participate in a double blind test to test that conclusion.

J

junchoon

Enthusiast

oops!!! seriuosly? i have heard my friend saying the Sony is as musical as a his Marantz CD7. he has S1 before and conclude that CD7 sounded better than SA11S1 in RBCD. moreover S1/S2 do stereo only. check audiogon reviews. i have not heard S1 before, but i am familiar with CD7.

as it is, i have passed on the S1 (was offered as second hand before) and currently breaking-in the Sony. but i have to agree with the availabilities of this Sony SACD player, pretty hard to find now.

rumor has it the Sony will be upgraded soon. good luck.

cheers,
wps

H

High Fidelity

Enthusiast
Marantz Black Pearl

from my disapointing experience with the overweight Marantz SA-7S1(Dr Sarconicus review in Positive Feedback is nonsense) I would advise against purchase of the Black Pearl because it does not feature a HDMI connection for surround sound SACD. The best value & excellent sounding player for both RB CD & SACD at present is the excellent Sony XA5400ES about which Kal Rubinson in Stereophile says he has yet to hear a better CD/SACD player.

System: Front speakers 4 way room matched custom built transmission line. Centre channel KEF XQ50, rear speakers B & W MI's receiver Onkyo 706 stereo integrated amplifier Prime Design A100 CD player Marantz CD94(modified sounds much better than the SA-7S1) Oppo 980H Sony XA5400ES

Last edited:
J

joebobbiggs

Audiophyte
Buying gear on the basis of a magazine or webzine review is only advisable if you can send it back in 30days. Even buying after an in store audition is advisable under the same circumstances.

I have heard the SA7 on numerous occassions and thought it only marginally better sounding if at all to my Sa11s1. Now that I have the 11S2 in my headphone rig, it definitely sounds different than the S1. There is more bass depth and impact but not as much bass impact as the Pearl. Comparing these machines on a good headphone rig makes the job easy. The 11S2 has a fat sound like the Pearl only fatter. I think I still preferred the Pearl but could not get past it's price and aforementioned issues. The one I sent back was put on demo sale for 30% off. If they had just offered it to me for that I would have kept it. Not having balanced analog outs on a reference or statement piece is just unforgivable IMO.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
from my disapointing experience with the overweight Marantz SA-7S1(Dr Sarconicus review in Positive Feedback is nonsense) I would advise against purchase of the Black Pearl because it does not feature a HDMI connection for surround sound SACD. The best value & excellent sounding player for both RB CD & SACD at present is the excellent Sony XA5400ES about which Kal Rubinson in Stereophile says he has yet to hear a better CD/SACD player.

System: Front speakers 4 way room matched custom built transmission line. Centre channel KEF XQ50, rear speakers B & W MI's receiver Onkyo 706 stereo integrated amplifier Prime Design A100 CD player Marantz CD94(modified sounds much better than the SA-7S1) Oppo 980H Sony XA5400ES
That sounds about right to me. But then, it's a Sony. :eek:

About the Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player though, for only $499
Plays all type of discs; SACD (multichannel), DVD-Audio, Blu-ray discs, DVDs, and about thousand more. :D

* http://www.hometheatermag.com/discplayers/oppo_bdp-83_universal_blu-ray_player/

J

junchoon

Enthusiast
Buying gear on the basis of a magazine or webzine review is only advisable if you can send it back in 30days. Even buying after an in store audition is advisable under the same circumstances.

I have heard the SA7 on numerous occassions and thought it only marginally better sounding if at all to my Sa11s1. Now that I have the 11S2 in my headphone rig, it definitely sounds different than the S1. There is more bass depth and impact but not as much bass impact as the Pearl. Comparing these machines on a good headphone rig makes the job easy. The 11S2 has a fat sound like the Pearl only fatter. I think I still preferred the Pearl but could not get past it's price and aforementioned issues. The one I sent back was put on demo sale for 30% off. If they had just offered it to me for that I would have kept it. Not having balanced analog outs on a reference or statement piece is just unforgivable IMO.
it will be interesting to hear yr side of the story as i got the Sony and passed the Marantz chiefly on online reviews. strangely, i find no online reviews that did a direct comparison of Sony with the Marantz SA11S1/S2. will be great too if u have a chance to compare the XLR output sound - not many have a tricked out headphone rig, haahaa! :)

based on online reviews and features (read DSD disc, HDMI MCH out), i think Sony is a better deal compared with Marantz SA11S1/S2. but i have to concur that OPPO is best bang for buck. many review say the HDMI output of Sony still beats Oppo. i will have a chance to verify that myself in a week.

either way, good luck and enjoy your gears, whatever they may be.

cheers,
wps

H

High Fidelity

Enthusiast
I can assure Junchoon that the Sony XA5400ES is better than the Oppo 980H as it should be for the price , however has the latest Oppo BD83 been improved for SACD over the 980H ? I understand that there are still a few bugs to be eliminated from the BD83 which has been put on the market too soon if you require it for SACD.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I can assure Junchoon that the Sony XA5400ES is better than the Oppo 980H as it should be for the price , however has the latest Oppo BD83 been improved for SACD over the 980H ? I understand that there are still a few bugs to be eliminated from the BD83 which has been put on the market too soon if you require it for SACD.
The BDP-83 is up to date as I understand, and it's cooking great. :)

* Here's another raved review, this time from Ultimate AV Mag web site:
--> http://www.ultimateavmag.com/hddiscplayers/oppo_bdp-83_universal_disc_player/

It is definitively Thee Player, the Real Deal. :)

H

High Fidelity

Enthusiast
Lordotherings

: BDP -83

MOST ISSUES HAVE BEEN RESOLVED> SOME ISSUES RELATING TO SACD AUDIO ERRORS HAVE BEEN REDUCED BUT NOT COMPLETELY ELIMINATED>

OPPO CUSTOMER SERVICE

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Beautiful for sure! But no multi-channel output for SACD…seriously?
The Marantz is specifically targeted for the high end stereo enthusiast and many of us here are not part of that target market. :eek: Late last year I was considering buying the Sony SCD-XA5400ES. After doing a lot of research I decided to go with a computer based lossless file system with an external DAC and not put the money into a player that could become a boat anchor in a few years if the laser dies. Many of the high end players have this problem down the road. These high end players have really become a niche product.

J

junchoon

Enthusiast
The Marantz is specifically targeted for the high end stereo enthusiast and many of us here are not part of that target market. :eek: Late last year I was considering buying the Sony SCD-XA5400ES. After doing a lot of research I decided to go with a computer based lossless file system with an external DAC and not put the money into a player that could become a boat anchor in a few years if the laser dies. Many of the high end players have this problem down the road. These high end players have really become a niche product.
Sony ES range in US carries 5 years warranty. no?? pretty long and should serve u well. did u compare the sound of the Sony w yr lossless file system before making up yr mind? i am interested and open to better sound solution. will ditch the Sony if yr lossless system is in a similiar price range. seriously!

i am sure it will happen when disc spinner is no longer relevant, the question is when?

cheers,
wps

H

High Fidelity

Enthusiast
Duffinator I agree the Marantz Sa-7S1 & KI Black Pearl should not be purchased because they are backward machines that do not cater for surround SACD which IMO sounds better than Stereo. As far as Laser life is concerned my Marantz CD94 (modified) is now 20 years old been used virtually every day and is still going strong. only repair required was a new set of belts.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Lordotherings

: BDP -83

MOST ISSUES HAVE BEEN RESOLVED> SOME ISSUES RELATING TO SACD AUDIO ERRORS HAVE BEEN REDUCED BUT NOT COMPLETELY ELIMINATED>

OPPO CUSTOMER SERVICE
Thanks for the update, but I do keep in touch occasionally (when I got time or someone ask me). :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis