Marantz receiver HDMI issues?

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I just got one of these aircoms today. I have it set to smart mode but I was wondering what to set the temp to?

Cristian22

Cristian22

Audiophyte
I have a Marantz SR6010 receiver and Outlaw 7700 power amplifier. The receiver powers only Front LR for stereo music listening and the amplifier all the rest of the channels for movies and live concerts.

Aldo they have the same clearance space for proper ventilation (4’’ in the sides and around 10’’ above) the receiver runs twice as hot comparing with Outlaw.
Ok, there is no comparison between the heat sinks of the two unit(Outlaw is a monster), but still the difference after 3 hours of use is big.

I may consider adding a fan for Marantz.
Any idea what should be the nominal temperature in use of a receiver?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I just ordered one of these Aircom T8 cooling units and if it works well I will get another one for my power amp. It was 30 bucks more on Amazon.ca
bruin62
Did the Aircom unit work?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
bruin62
Did the Aircom unit work?
Hi Buck,
I don't know much about the Aircom fans.
However, I use AC Infinity fans which Amazon sell at a very reasonable price and they function well with relatively low noise at the medium speed setting. I installed two 40 cfm units on top of the Marantz SR5010 and it made quite a difference. The receiver now runs cool.

I've just bought the thermostatic controller with display which works with those fans. I intend to fix it soon to the rack mount aeration grill just above the receiver.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I have a Marantz SR6010 receiver and Outlaw 7700 power amplifier. The receiver powers only Front LR for stereo music listening and the amplifier all the rest of the channels for movies and live concerts.

Aldo they have the same clearance space for proper ventilation (4’’ in the sides and around 10’’ above) the receiver runs twice as hot comparing with Outlaw.
Ok, there is no comparison between the heat sinks of the two unit(Outlaw is a monster), but still the difference after 3 hours of use is big.

I may consider adding a fan for Marantz.
Any idea what should be the nominal temperature in use of a receiver?
That's a good idea. Marantz receivers tend to heat probably because of the set bias in their AB amplifiers design.
See my post just above this one for my comments.
Cheers,

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Buck,
I don't know much about the Aircom fans.
However, I use AC Infinity fans which Amazon sell at a very reasonable price and they function well with relatively low noise at the medium speed setting. I installed two 40 cfm units on top of the Marantz SR5010 and it made quite a difference. The receiver now runs cool.

I've just bought the thermostatic controller with display which works with those fans. I intend to fix it soon to the rack mount aeration grill just above the receiver.
thanks. I will be getting one of them.

D

DubPlate

Audioholic Intern
I've had a ton of trouble in the past year with my Marantz receivers. I have an SR7008 in my main system and an SR6009 in my bedroom. I do make them work hard with HDMI - all sources are HDMI and I use both of their independent HDMI zone 2 outputs. However, I've had to send the SR7008 for repair twice and the SR6009 for repair once in the past year for HDMI board issues. The 7008 had the board replaced, behaved for 6 months, and then had the exact same issues started coming back.

I'm convinced it's bad HDMI boards causing the issue especially since the boards have been replaced and the issues fixed (temporarily). Am I missing something? Why are these boards to unreliable? Should I be checking anything else? I've had my TV HDMI board replaced in my main room and tried swapping cables in attempting to pinpoint the problem originally.

Thankfully, these have been warranty repairs, but we all know how frustrating it is to have to disconnect the hub of your system and be without it for a time.

Unfortunately, the Marantz receivers have the unique feature set of outputting digital audio connections to zone 2 and 3 and includling SubEQ HT which is why I used them. Only higher end Denon receivers share that combination of features. If this issue continues, would there be any reason to believe a Denon receiver would be more reliable or about the same since they're the same parent company?
I had a 7702 that I had the replace after it stopped outputting by hdmi. Got another, same problem started intermittently. I noticed the problem would only occur if I unplugged the hdmi when the receiver was powered off but still plugged to power source. I was setting up a new system and was trying various configuring, and therefore had to unplug the hdmi often. I read somewhere that when you unplug hdmi, that you should also make sure the devices are unplugged from power source, as there is a contact current or voltage flowing between the devices by hdmi, and unplugging the hdmi cable while the devices are plugged in to power can cause the switches or circuitry to stick/malfunction.

In any event, I haven't had any problem since making sure the marantz and my tv are unplugged before disconnecting or connecting the hdmi cable.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
That's a good idea. Marantz receivers tend to heat probably because of the set bias in their AB amplifiers design.
See my post just above this one for my comments.
Cheers,
I took delivery of an AC Infinity Aircom S9 exhaust fan gizmo. I got it because my new Denon x4200w needs to last a looooooong time and heat is the enemy. Along with that, the idea just caught my eye so I decided to buy one. Right out of the box, it works like a champ. I put it in SMART mode. This lets it sit idle until the heat of the AVR triggers it to wake up and exhaust heat. The SMART mode also lets the unit control the fan speed. If it only needs a little , it only turns on the fans 25%. If it needs more, it turns the fan speed up a little more. So far, at 25%, its dead quiet and you can't notice it at all audibly. Pretty slick gizmo.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I took delivery of an AC Infinity Aircom S9

Buck,
I'm glad to hear that you are amazed with its performance.:)

I didn't realize that the "Aircom" Brand Name was model name used by AC Infinity. They use several names, mine is part of the Airplate Series Cabinet Fan System.

As far as I'm concerned, AC Infinity products are well built and reliable. I have no hesitation in recommending them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis