Marantz PM8004 with external amp/sub

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I am running my Marantz PM8004 as a 2.1 set up right now. The sub is connected with the PREOUT.{RCA} Is there a way to run the PM8004 as a preamp with an external amp while using the sub connected to the PREOUT? I have a new Emotiva XPA-2 amp that I would like to use.
Wan't sure if this is even possible.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. Ideally, you'd be doing some bass management to send separate frequencies to the sub versus the speakers. The Marantz can't do that, but your sub might be able to...depending on which version of the plate amp you got. Does your sub have "HPF OUT" jacks next to the "LINE IN" jacks?

(*) If your sub has HPF OUT jacks, I'd suggest running the two PRE OUT jacks from the Marantz to the sub, then run cables from the HPF OUT jacks on the sub to the inputs on the amp
(*) If your sub does not have HPF OUT (or LINE OUT) jacks on it, then you can simply get two RCA y-splitters and run cables to both the sub (like you do now) and to the amp. The end result would be (I think) no different than how you have it now in regards to bass management, except that you'd be using the external amp to power your speakers

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
The Marantz has no bass management and this is OK. I find running the Sierra 2's on full sounds better to me with the sub. The Marantz alone sounds great and is definatly powerful enough. I just wanted to know if I could run the XPA-2 with it for a bit more headroom if needed... It will be a while before I get another preamp for the XPA-2.. Have to use the Marantz gear for a while.
The Rythmilk does not have the HPF out. I have the PEQ3 amp on it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am running my Marantz PM8004 as a 2.1 set up right now. The sub is connected with the PREOUT.{RCA} Is there a way to run the PM8004 as a preamp with an external amp while using the sub connected to the PREOUT? I have a new Emotiva XPA-2 amp that I would like to use.
Wan't sure if this is even possible.
Go to your manual page for and see the connectors marked 3. These are your preouts. Connect your XPA-2 to these with Y RCA connectors. Use the extra RCA connectors from the Y to connect to the right and left of your sub line in. If your sub has a line out from a high pass filter in the sub, then connect those to the amp in on your Marantz. Your Marantz does have an external amp loop.

If your sub does not have high pass line outs, then your main speakers will run full range with the sub. If you don't want that then you will need an external active dual channel crossover with adjustable low and high pass outputs.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Forgive my ignorance... I have a R and L pre out on the Marantz.. The RCA to the sub requires a R and L.. So I connect the Y split to the Marantz single side to the R which allows me to run the sub of the R out from the Marantz... Wouldn't I need two Y splits to run another set of RCA's off the split from the Left out on the Marantz...
Two Y splits off the Marantz would allow 2 sets of RCA cables.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, two Y-splitters. See the second option listed in my original post.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Thanks Adam. Guess I should pay attention more to each word read.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry - my short response probably came across as a lot more jerky than I meant it to. :eek: :)

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
This is a late post here.... Does adding the subwoofer to the preouts put more load/work on the Marantz?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This is a late post here.... Does adding the subwoofer to the preouts put more load/work on the Marantz?
Well it will lower the impedance the pre amp stage sees. However this is seldom a significant issue, and will not load the power amp further, just the preamp. I would not worry about it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis