Marantz pm6004 vs pm8004 vs Onkyo 9050

A

Audiocd

Enthusiast
So I'm trying to get the best amp to compliment my Klipsch KLF20's. Some of you may love them, some my hate them. I think I like them but they can be a bit harsh in the upper midrange at times. The reason I am reluctant to give up on them and pursue other speakers is that they do a lot of things well. They are very dynamic and with dual 10 inch woofers they can really put out the bass when needed. Plus they image well and have good clarity. I haven't listened to a whole lot of other gear so my points of reference are limited. I recently bought the Onkyo 9050 integrated amp and though it sounds good with good detail it is a little thin in the upper mids and highs. I read the reviews on the Marantz pm6004 from Whathifi and they chose it as thier favorite amp for under $1000 stating that it was a warmer and more musical than the Onkyo. Now I have only heard a few different recievers through my speakers, an old cheap Sony from the 80's, an old Denon Dra300 from the early 80's, an Onkyo 8050 and now the 9050. I believe the Denon was a little warmer sounding but with a little less seperation then the 9050 but that may just be in my head.
Does anyone have any experience with these new Marantz pm series amps? Do they sound noticably different/better than some others you have tried? I am really considering ordering the Marantz pm 6004 next week and selling the loser between it and the Onkyo. The pm8004 is a bit out of my price range but the midrange control may be beneficial to dial back the mids a little on recordings that accentuate the bright mids of the speakers.
Any thoughts or suggestions on are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Klipsch speakers can be bright like your mentioning. But I would bet working on your room's acoustics would yield much better results. If you have not dealt with the first reflection points and the wall behind you then no amp in the world is going to help. Amplifiers do not have a sound signature. Your room and speakers do.

All the amps you listed are good units and will work just fine with your speakers. Go with the one with the feature set you desire. Just as side not though. The two Onkyo receivers I owned in the last 5 years failed several months out of warranty. Marantz is probably the safer bet with the 3 year warranty.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis