Marantz NR1602 - Upconversion problem

Icarus3000

Icarus3000

Audiophyte
First - I'm new to this forum, so hope I am posting this in the right section.

Here is my problem, that I hope someone can help me troubleshoot:

While I don't use it often, I still have a lot of old VHS tapes that I would like to have the option of viewing (mostly home movies and some old videos the kids still enjoy). One of the reasons I purchased the NR1602 was because of the analogue to digital HDMI upconversion feature.

However... When I tried to hook up the VCR, the output to HDMI is unwatchable. I see flickers of the image interspersed between mostly static. When I use the composite video output from the Marantz to the TV, it works fine as a passthrough.

Simple answer would be for me to keep the composite video output, but my TV is on the other side of the room from my receiver, and I would need to run about 50 feet of additional cable through the wall, whereas I already have the HDMI cable in place.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can troubleshoot the problem? Is it possible the signal from the VCR is too weak? Does it make a difference which input source I connected the VCR to (there is no option for a "VCR").

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

Just some questions to help you troubleshoot this:
  • You are using a composite (yellow RCA jack) connection from the back of the VCR to a composite video input on the Marantz, correct? I've seen the static and flickering when someone connects a component video (three jacks for video) output to a composite video and left/right audio inputs of a TV.
  • Do you have any other video connections besides composite video made to the input that you are using for the VCR (i.e. do you have another component hooked up through HDMI or component video to that same source)?
  • Have you tried upconverting from a different source, such as a DVD player - just to check it out? I've also seen flickering (but not static, rather a black screen) when electronic copy protection is engaged on a VCR. The first thing that came to mind for me was that maybe the conversion process is causing the VCR to apply that protection. If you try a different component that doesn't use that type of protection, it should help narrow down what's causing it.

Icarus3000

Icarus3000

Audiophyte
Thanks for the quick reply!

1. Yes, I am using a yellow composite cable. However, I can try a heavier duty one.
2. VCR is plugged into DVD input, nothing else is plugged in there.
3. I tried to plug my Bluray player in using the composite cable, and it upconverts fine (using the same cable that doesn't work from the VCR).

I don't think it is an electronic copy protection issue, because it is a home-made video that I am trying and I never put copy protection on it :)

Could it be that the output from my old VCR is too weak for the HDMI to read properly? All I can think of to do now (when I get home tonight) is to try a different cable.

Thanks!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Ah, home video. You got me. :)

It might be the VCR's output strength, but I'm also wondering if it could be the resolution. I suggest checking if your TV supports the VCR's resolution over an HDMI input. Page 85 of the Marantz's manual details how you should be able to check the input resolution from the VCR and the supported resolutions for your TV (which might also be listed in the TV's manual). From what I read, not all TVs support 480i over an HDMI connection, and that VCR might be in the 240i range.

Icarus3000

Icarus3000

Audiophyte
Interesting thought! I will have a look through the manual when i get home. I tried to do a google search to figure it out, but I couldn't find a reference stating that my tv can or can't handle upconversion from 240 to 1080.

The TV is a Sony Bravia KDL55EX640.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I just schooled myself on resolutions again, as I'd forgotten some stuff over the years. VCRs output 480i. It's the horizontal resolution that was 240...not the vertical resolution. :eek:

Code:
Resolution
                    Hor   Ver
Standard VHS:       240 x 480
Pre-taped NTSC TV:  300 x 480
Live NTSC TV:       330 x 480
Laserdisc:          420 x 480
Super VHS:          420 x 480
Hi-8:               420 x 480
DV VCR:             500 x 480
DVD:                720 x 480

I just took a quick look at your Sony's manual. On page 82, it lists "HDMI: Video: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 1080/24p" for the four HDMI inputs.

So, it might still be the resolution, but I'm not sure if the manuals cover supported horizontal resolutions over HDMI.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
What happens when you plug the VCR directly into the TV ?

Steve

Icarus3000

Icarus3000

Audiophyte
What happens when you plug the VCR directly into the TV ?

Steve
VCR works fine direct to TV (through composite video).
VCR works fine through composite video to Marantz and from Marantz to TV (through composite video).

Upconversion from DVD player works perfectly.

I tried different cables, I even tried a different VCR! I found that depending on the source video, the HDMI conversion sometimes worked (production quality VHS worked out), but still had intermittent flashes of "static". My unscientific conclusion is that the upconversion from VCR to HDMI doesn't work so well with the Marantz NR1602, so I'm going to use a composite cable which works fine, but will add a bit of work for me to re-patch my drywall.

Alternatively, I could get the few home movies I care about digitized, and I may do that in the future anyway.

Thanks everyone!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis