Marantz MM7055 to drive 4ohm-speakers?

S

sjcguy

Junior Audioholic
I am ready to pull the trigger for a new 5ch amp. I had a chance to buy a mint Rotel RMB-1075 at my area and the seller didn't want to wait for my final decision. I am now looking into Emo XPA5 or an used MM7055 (50% off MSRP). The problem is that the Marantz doesn't public the Amp performance at 4ohm loads and I don't know if it's a problem.
thanks
tran.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
ALL Marantz are only rated to 6 Ohm operation right on the back panel which is why they don't publish 4 Ohm specs, but I have run my 8300 and PM7200, and previously my MA500 monoblocks, with 4 Ohm speakers. As long as you don't go crazy with the volume, it should be OK.

I'd still say you'd be better off with the XPA-5.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I agree, if those are the two amps you really want, then I'd go with the emo. Will you be using all 5 channels on whatever amp you get?

S

sjcguy

Junior Audioholic
For now I only use 3 channels and will be using another two once my daughter goes to school and I can clean up her toys.

Would you be able to comment on Rotel RMB-1075? Looks like he couldn't sell and lowered to $450, mint condition with box.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I can comment on the 1075, I happen to own one. I think the 1075 is a great amp and at 450 that's a great price IMO. It's smooth and drives whatever I throw at it with ease. For 450 I don't think you'd be disappointed with it at all and would be hard pressed to find something better at that price.

S

sjcguy

Junior Audioholic
Cool, I will ask if he lets me audit with his B&W speakers. it's the same guy I bought the TFM-45
tran.

S

sjcguy

Junior Audioholic
Hello,
Not yet, I will pick it up tonight or tomorrow night.
I will keep you posted and thanks for the input.
tran

S

sjcguy

Junior Audioholic
Just picked it up and it's in pristine condition, inside out, no sign of dust and the wires are still shiny. He hooked up the amp with a McIntosh preamp and Martin Logan ES speakers and I am impressed. I played the songs that I know my amp is struggling with at moderate volume and the Rotel is like cruising.

tran

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For the performance it delivers, probably. But I like the way it looks, sooo..........yea. :D I guess I'm a little more like ADTG than I'd like to admit :p
Let's face it, you guys are all in denial!:eek:

S

sjcguy

Junior Audioholic
sounds like you guys are very serious about Crown amps. I thought they are for DJ only, not for home use.
tran.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis