marantz AVR crossover

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i fear i may have bought the wrong AVR, or i am missing something obvious. i recently purchased a used marantz SR5002. i was told on a forum that you could set the crossover points for my individual speakers (or at least for pairs, like front surrounds, rear surrounds) like you can with denon AVR's. but it appears that it only has global crossover settings? depending on what size you have your speakers set to (small or large, i have all my speakers set to small) you can set the crossover point for ALL small speakers. that really doesn't help me much - my surrounds should cross over at about 90 but my mains go all the way down to 20 and i would like to cross them over around 60 (or maybe even 40)? from browsing through other marantz manuals online, it appears this is true even with the higher models (the SR5004 for instance), or am i missing something in the settings?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I hope someone else has some more info, but I sure don't see anything obvious that you're missing. I can't find a way in the manual for the 5002 to do anything but set a crossover for all speakers.

KASR

KASR

Full Audioholic
It would be odd if they left that functionality out...I can't speak for the 5002, but my NR1501 certainly has the ability to set crossover for each speaker (7.1).
I would recommend contacting Marantz support to get the official 411 - that would be the best/fastest place to start.

Good luck with it!

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
thanx for the responses guys. does anyone know how high up the marantz line you have to go to get individual crossovers, as i have a feeling i'm going to be looking for a new AVR soon. :( it appears the SR5004 doesn't. as i said in KASR's thread, i would buy the NR in a heartbeat but need preamp out's.

KASR

KASR

Full Audioholic
thanx for the responses guys. does anyone know how high up the marantz line you have to go to get individual crossovers, as i have a feeling i'm going to be looking for a new AVR soon. :( it appears the SR5004 doesn't. as i said in KASR's thread, i would buy the NR in a heartbeat but need preamp out's.
Yea, at the time I bought the NR1501, I had to pull the trigger becuz of the smoking great price I got it at! But when the time comes to upgrade, I'll have a great receiver for the bedroom! :D

Again - contact marantz support via email (I've had to) they took a few days to get back to you, but they do get back.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I have the SR8002 and it has a single crossover point for all speakers. It's the only real minus to an otherwise great receiver.

Jim

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Instead of spending the cash on a receiver upgrade, why don't you keep the receiver and spend the money on a much more capable xover unit? Thats what I would do.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
ratso

Does your receiver allow you to set your main speakers as large while keeping your other channels small? Try it to see how that works with your sub.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
ratso

Does your receiver allow you to set your main speakers as large while keeping your other channels small? Try it to see how that works with your sub.

that's going to be my fallback plan for now, but it's kind of a bandaid for now. adwilk, i am not so familiar with HT gear, could you direct me to an example?

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I was thinking of suggesting something similar but he would still have to set a single crossover point for his center and surrounds. It might be worth it though, I'm considering doing that at some point.

Jim

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis