Marantz Announces New Flagship AV8801 Preamp & MM8077 Amp

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Marantz is rounding out their preamp and amp lineup with the release of two new flagship products, the AV8801 preamp and MM8077 amp. The AV8801 is an 11.2ch preamp with a full arsenal of inputs/outputs, network features, multiple HDMI outputs (independent), and top-notch Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and Sub EQ HT. The MM8077 is a 150wpc amp that that was designed to match the performance of the AV8801 tit-for-tat.

Discuss "Marantz Announces New Flagship AV8801 Preamp & MM8077 Amp" here. Read the article.

pg_rider

pg_rider

Audioholic
I find the following statement contradictory: "The feature list of the AV8801 is impressive, but now many receivers for half the price offer similar features. But that isn’t really the point; it's not designed for budget consumers. The AV8801 is made for people who want the performance of extremely high-end gear without the price tag."

Exactly what kind of "extremely high-end performance" are we talking about? If receivers at half the price offer similar features, then the only way the AV8801 can justify it's price is by somehow sounding remarkably better than said receivers. And does anyone think that's really the case?

It seems to me Marantz is basically trying to create an illusion of the 8801 as "high end" by jacking up the price, which is sad to see. Why anyone would spend $3k+ on it vs a Denon 4311 at $1300 street price is beyond me...

Anyway, not trying to stir the pot -- I was just shocked when I saw the price and then read through the list of features. I honestly would have expected to see this piece come in at $1500 retail, with a street price closer to $1000...

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Totally agree with you!
Furthermore, you can save a bunch by grabbing the Denon AVR-4520, which is basically the very same thing, though ;)

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
yeah, i thought marantz really dropped the ball big time when they released that avr that was obviously supposed to go up against denon's 4311 (what was that, the SR7005?). but then they forgot to put XT-32 in it. now they have it, but at a ridiculous price. so yes, marantz, we all want your super slick looking AVR's. but not at a price that is three times the competitors for a similar product.

R

rramacha

Junior Audioholic
Fanboys

I kind of agree on the pricing, but having said that fan boys like me will get one.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
AV8801 vs. AV7701

I'm not entirely clear on the differences between the AV8801 and AV7701. The only differences of note I could find are:
  • toroidal vs. EI power transformer
  • 11.2 vs. 7.2 channel support
  • MultiEQ XT32 vs MultiEQ XT
  • 3x ADSP21487 DSP chips vs. 1x (for MultiEQ + sound fields?)

(For some reason the AV7701 is also listed with much higher power consumption but maybe that's a typo.)

Of those, I suspect the power transformer and MultiEQ XT32 are the biggest benefits of the AV8801. I don't use sound fields so either the 3x DSP chips doesn't matter to me or it's because of the XT32.

I currently have an AV8003 because its sound quality is noticeably superior. I'm wondering if it makes sense to upgrade to the AV8801 sometime in the near future (around when I grab a 4K or 3D projector). The AV7005 did not appear to be a product that would improve on the AV8003 despite coming out later, and I was wondering why Marantz was lacking a new high-end processor.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not entirely clear on the differences between the AV8801 and AV7701. The only differences of note I could find are:

(For some reason the AV7701 is also listed with much higher power consumption but maybe that's a typo.)

Of those, I suspect the power transformer and MultiEQ XT32 are the biggest benefits of the AV8801. I don't use sound fields so either the 3x DSP chips doesn't matter to me or it's because of the XT32.

I currently have an AV8003 because its sound quality is noticeably superior. I'm wondering if it makes sense to upgrade to the AV8801 sometime in the near future (around when I grab a 4K or 3D projector). The AV7005 did not appear to be a product that would improve on the AV8003 despite coming out later, and I was wondering why Marantz was lacking a new high-end processor.
Admittedly the AV8003 has internal components that are of higher grade than those in the AV7005. I bought the AV7005 only after reading many reviews including those who "upgraded" from the AV8003 and reported improvements in sound quality, regardless of the apparently not as good internal components.

Now, reading through the features and specs of the AV8801, I think it is a matter of time before one will be sitting exactly where my AV7005 is right now. 3.6K and no THX cert seems unreasonable but I guess unfortunately they know they can get away with that so they do it.:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The 8801 has better DAC though very likely result in no audible benefits. It apparently can handle DSD over HDMI, not sure about the 7701 but my guess is that, like the 7005, it won't do it.

Good catch, it says 670W, that has got to be a typo, no doubt in my mind.

Marantz did some strange thing for no apparent reason, they put the EI core transformer in a toroidal shell, for better shielding I guess, if they do the same thing for the 7701 just to save a few bucks, I am okay with that:D. I don't believe there is any audible effect between two well designed audio grade power transformers, toroidal or not.

and I was wondering why Marantz was lacking a new high-end processor.
I thought they realized there was no point to offer anything else higher than the 8003 and 7005 because the 60 lbs Denon AVP was solidly planted on top of the food chain at the time.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
$3600, huh? Ouch!

Don't worry guys. In a year, you can get it for only $1800 from A4L. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I find the following statement contradictory: "The feature list of the AV8801 is impressive, but now many receivers for half the price offer similar features. But that isn’t really the point; it's not designed for budget consumers. The AV8801 is made for people who want the performance of extremely high-end gear without the price tag."

Exactly what kind of "extremely high-end performance" are we talking about? If receivers at half the price offer similar features, then the only way the AV8801 can justify it's price is by somehow sounding remarkably better than said receivers. And does anyone think that's really the case?

It seems to me Marantz is basically trying to create an illusion of the 8801 as "high end" by jacking up the price, which is sad to see. Why anyone would spend $3k+ on it vs a Denon 4311 at $1300 street price is beyond me...

Anyway, not trying to stir the pot -- I was just shocked when I saw the price and then read through the list of features. I honestly would have expected to see this piece come in at $1500 retail, with a street price closer to $1000...
If this is what makes it contradictory The AV8801 is made for people who want the performance of extremely high-end gear without the price tag.

I would think that 'extremely high end' gear is in the 5 figure price category, hence the $2400 is cheap:D

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
yeah, i thought marantz really dropped the ball big time when they released that avr that was obviously supposed to go up against denon's 4311 (what was that, the SR7005?). but then they forgot to put XT-32 in it. now they have it, but at a ridiculous price. so yes, marantz, we all want your super slick looking AVR's. but not at a price that is three times the competitors for a similar product.
I don't really think Denon and Marantz can accurately be described as competitors since they're sister companies :p

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
A poor attempt by the manufacturer to suck in buyers to the separates market with no real advantage ( cost vs benefit) over the current offering of AVR's today.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
A poor attempt by the manufacturer to suck in buyers to the separates market with no real advantage ( cost vs benefit) over the current offering of AVR's today.
Sorry to say that you just may be right, but, there are overly audiohoic types of suckers, like me.:D:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry to say that you just may be right, but, there are overly audiohoic types of suckers, like me.:D:D
If they had made the pre-pro the same exact gold/champagne color as their Reference line, I would be drooling. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I saw these last month on the NHT site and then checked out some sites on them. The amp intrigued me, as I've had the itch to buy a Marantz component for a while. I wish that it was 200W/channel, though. I know that 150 is good enough for me, but I'm not going to drop that much money for 150.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I saw these last month on the NHT site and then checked out some sites on them. The amp intrigued me, as I've had the itch to buy a Marantz component for a while. I wish that it was 200W/channel, though. I know that 150 is good enough for me, but I'm not going to drop that much money for 150.
What can I say, every time I look at fancy amplifiers and get all hot and bothered, I remind myself that with my setup and volume preferences, I need maybe 2-3 watts per channel for peaks. I'm so boring :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
If they had made the pre-pro the same exact gold/champagne color as their Reference line, I would be drooling. :D

Oh me to, I always liked their Reference line colors :cool: but yet, I have been trying to find a Yamaha MX-10000 for years, its a beast and maybe one of the best amps ever made

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I think admitting that one is a sucker is most of the battle.;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis