Marantz 8802a problem

S

switchy

Audiophyte
Hi There, this is my first post here as I have a problem with my pre/pro the Marantz 8802a.The unit is around 6 months old. I was watching a movie with dynamic volume enabled and the sound just cut out and did not come back on, so I turned the unit off and then back on again and then I had sound. I also noticed that it did the same when I was changing the Dynamic Volume setting on the front panel of the unit. I am just wondering if I would have a problem with the unit. All firmware is up to date and it is the first time this has happened. My cables are fine and I tend to think that the dynamic volume has something to do with it. Also I have noticed that a hdmi source input does not work either. I have reset the microprocessor and that did not fix the problem. I also use the Audyssey pro kit for measurements. Any help would be great as I am totally at a loss. Thanks Virginia Rea:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hopefully you will get more inputs on the weekdays, instead of a Sunday.

I think most people will think the same as you - there is something defective with your pre-pro.

1 HDMI input does not work, even when you change the source and HDMI cable? That tells me the HDMI board is defective.

I’ve tried Audyssey Dynamic Volume just for fun. It never shuts off the volume.

Do you have Dynamic EQ turned on?

S

switchy

Audiophyte
Hopefully you will get more inputs on the weekdays, instead of a Sunday.

I think most people will think the same as you - there is something defective with your pre-pro.

1 HDMI input does not work, even when you change the source and HDMI cable? That tells me the HDMI board is defective.

I’ve tried Audyssey Dynamic Volume just for fun. It never shuts off the volume.

Do you have Dynamic EQ turned on?
Hi and thanks for your reply.Yes I have that tuned on but I think from memory cinema eq is off. I have never had this problem before. I might have to send it back to the factory unless I can find a solution.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi There, this is my first post here as I have a problem with my pre/pro the Marantz 8802a.The unit is around 6 months old. I was watching a movie with dynamic volume enabled and the sound just cut out and did not come back on, so I turned the unit off and then back on again and then I had sound. I also noticed that it did the same when I was changing the Dynamic Volume setting on the front panel of the unit. I am just wondering if I would have a problem with the unit. All firmware is up to date and it is the first time this has happened. My cables are fine and I tend to think that the dynamic volume has something to do with it. Also I have noticed that a hdmi source input does not work either. I have reset the microprocessor and that did not fix the problem. I also use the Audyssey pro kit for measurements. Any help would be great as I am totally at a loss. Thanks Virginia Rea:)
Sounds like a HDMI related issue. Are you sure you reset the unit correctly, also, try different HDMI cable, input, different media players etc.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My 8801 did that a few times in the past and cycling power usually fixed it.

S

switchy

Audiophyte
Sounds like a HDMI related issue. Are you sure you reset the unit correctly, also, try different HDMI cable, input, different media players etc.
Hi and thanks for the reply. On the 8802a there are 2 types of reset options. There is a reset option being the resetting of the microprocessor by pressing the ADSX+GAME buttons on the front panel while powering on and there is an option called a Deep reset, which also includes the network reset + the microprocessor by pressing the Movie and Music buttons while powering on. Both of these I have done several times with no luck unfortunately. I have tried different inputs with different cables and I have a feeling that the HDMI problem is related to the board itself. What confuses me though is that the HDMI issue may or may not be related to the sound dropping out on a completely different hdmi port while watching a movie with dynamic volume engaged. They seem like two separate problems or I could be wrong. I have had sound drop out on me when actually switching dynamic volume via the front panel of the unit.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi and thanks for the reply. On the 8802a there are 2 types of reset options. There is a reset option being the resetting of the microprocessor by pressing the ADSX+GAME buttons on the front panel while powering on and there is an option called a Deep reset, which also includes the network reset + the microprocessor by pressing the Movie and Music buttons while powering on. Both of these I have done several times with no luck unfortunately. I have tried different inputs with different cables and I have a feeling that the HDMI problem is related to the board itself. What confuses me though is that the HDMI issue may or may not be related to the sound dropping out on a completely different hdmi port while watching a movie with dynamic volume engaged. They seem like two separate problems or I could be wrong. I have had sound drop out on me when actually switching dynamic volume via the front panel of the unit.
If the same happens using different inputs, then I suspect it has something to do with the source player. What is it, a blue Ray player, Apple TV?

S

switchy

Audiophyte
If the same happens using different inputs, then I suspect it has something to do with the source player. What is it, a blue Ray player, Apple TV?
My 4k player is a Panasonic ub900 and my projector is a JVCX5500.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My 4k player is a Panasonic ub900 and my projector is a JVCX5500.
Before you send it in for a check up, you should try another device. If I understood right, you did try another input, if not try the input that is closest to the output.

S

switchy

Audiophyte
Before you send it in for a check up, you should try another device. If I understood right, you did try another input, if not try the input that is closest to the output.
Yes Peng I tried other inputs and still no change. I have the system going at the moment and have had no drop outs so far but HDMI input 3(bluray) still not working. Problem is I will probably have no more drop outs today and tomorrow it will start up again.:) Electronics are very confusing at times. I think they may be two different problems.

S

switchy

Audiophyte
Hey Switchy welcome to Audioholics. There is a question and answers page here on a similar problem as yours(maybe).https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212342523-Dynamic-volume-problem also another here might interest you https://www.avforums.com/threads/sound-dropping-out-for-second-marantz-sr7002.894797/
Yea I think you have put me on the right track with them links as far as the drop outs go as I had a feeling it was something to do with dynamic volume especially after sound was dropping out when changing from light to medium on my front panel. I have also noticed you have some of the same gear as myself.Thanks Grassy.

S

switchy

Audiophyte
I am overwhelmed with the amount of response and help I am getting here and am very thankful to you all.:)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes Peng I tried other inputs and still no change. I have the system going at the moment and have had no drop outs so far but HDMI input 3(bluray) still not working. Problem is I will probably have no more drop outs today and tomorrow it will start up again.:) Electronics are very confusing at times. I think they may be two different problems.
Sorry I missed the part about HDMI 3 not working. If you are sure that your Blu ray player itself is not the problem and you have the input assiged properly, then you really should send it in to get it fixed regardless. Just double check "input assign" to make sure it didn't get messed up accidentally.

It is hard to tell whether they are two separate issues or related.

S

switchy

Audiophyte
Sorry I missed the part about HDMI 3 not working. If you are sure that your Blu ray player itself is not the problem and you have the input assiged properly, then you really should send it in to get it fixed regardless. Just double check "input assign" to make sure it didn't get messed up accidentally.

It is hard to tell whether they are two separate issues or related.
Yep I feel the same. My input assign looks like this.

Attachments

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yep I feel the same. My input assign looks like this.
Perfect! You obviously know what you are doing, as so far everything looks right (connections, settings, tried different inputs made no difference, microprocessor total reset done, and presumably updated FW,.. etc.),so most likely there is something wrong with the HDMI board, at least regarding the HDMI 3 not working issue.

I know it is inconvenient, and the unit is quite heavy, but for such an expensive unit, imperfection is unacceptable. They obviously must fix the HDMI 3, possibly by replacing the whole board. The audio drop out issue may not be related to the HDMI board, being intermittent, it is important that you really emphasize the issue and insist on them letting you know what they are going to do about it, and fixed it so that you don't have to send it in the second time.

Such flag ship AVP are now getting ridiculously expensive, and that's why I replaced my 8801 with a C$1143 AVR-X4400H so that I can replace it every 2-3 years if I really want to keep up with the newest features, or not, without feeling much pain. In the US you get 5 years warranty but in Canada we only get 3 years. so that's any worry, and downside for the high cost AVP option. So far I found absolutely no audible difference between the two units. In fact the new AVR's (at 1/3 the cost) may be more accurate in bass response, post Audyssey calibration.

Best of luck!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In the US you get 5 years warranty
Actually you only get 3 YR warranty in the USA, even for the AVP-A1HDCI and Marantz AV8805.

Also 3 YR warranty: McIntosh, Yamaha

Looks like SONY is the only one who offers a 5 YR warranty even on their $700 ES AVRs.

Bryston offers a 5 YR warranty on their $10,000 Pre-pro. :eek:

Too bad SONY doesn't make a Pre-pro anymore. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey Switchy welcome to Audioholics.
I'm glad your Denon AVP-A1HD still works for you! :D

My AVP-A1HD finally died on me a few weeks ago after 8 YR.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm glad your Denon AVP-A1HD still works for you! :D

My AVP-A1HD finally died on me a few weeks ago after 8 YR.
I thought you and Gene are the only two who have such an expensive beast! Denon was smart to stop making those things long ago.:D I am curious to see if Marantz will be next.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis