Marantz 5008 or Yamaha RX-V775WA

shootshescores

shootshescores

Enthusiast
I am in the process of choosing a new receiver for an entire overhaul of my home audio/theater set up. I'm debating between the Marantz 5008 or the Yamaha RX-V775WA. Both have a sufficient amount of features for my needs and any of the extra features the yamaha may have versus the Marantz are not very important to me. I have always wanted a Marantz receiver, but I would base my decision on two main factors.

1) Sound Quality for music, movies, and television.
2) I cannot find any deals on the Marantz besides gray market deals and I would fully expect to pay the list price of $899. I can get a deal on the Yamaha. It lists for $799, but I can get it for $555 with full warranty benefits. Both units would be brand new.

I plan to run a 5.1 for now with with one of the following set ups. Paradigm with Mini Monitor fronts, Center 3, and Atom Monitor surrounds or a Martin Logan set up with Motion 15 fronts, Motion 30 center, Motion 4 surrounds. I've already decided on the SVS SB-2000 subwoofer for either set up. This will be used in a large room, 24'x19' with 9' ceilings.

Which model will have better sound quality? If the Marantz, will the increased sound quality make up for the extra $345 I would have to spend?

Last edited:
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
If you bypass all processing, they will likely be indistinguishable in a level-matched, double blind test. I would go with the Yamaha and save the extra money for a better subwoofer or better speakers or to buy more BDs and CDs.

Also, for the price you are looking to pay for the Marantz, you could go with a higher model Yamaha, like this one:

Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020 7.2-channel home theater receiver with Apple AirPlay® at Crutchfield.com

And still save money.

But unless you need the features, you would probably be better off going with a better subwoofer or better speakers instead. Speakers and subwoofers make a dramatic difference in sound, whereas receivers typically are a very minor consideration for actual sound quality.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you can save $345 definitely go with the Yamaha. It has preouts so you have the option to add an external amp if found necessary. I highly doubt the Marantz would sound better in pure direct. With EQ and/or processing engaged it could go either way.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
My Marantz in my sig is from a4l. They're a reputable vendor.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
You can do a lot better than $900 for the Marantz. Do you have a local dealer? If yes, then negotiate for a lower price. If not, then get the refurb from accessories4less or you can buy it from the AVS forum for much less than MSRP. AVS are an authorized dealer for many brands.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
How long have you had the 6008? Do you like it?
I've only had it a couple of months, but as far as I can tell, it's immaculate. The worst part about getting a refurb is that you can't easily tell whether it was originally an open or damaged box but otherwise unused, a store demo, or faulty and repaired. But I figure if it was repaired, someone else simply saved me the trouble of working out the bugs. In any case, it's got a year warranty that I see no indication whatsoever that I'll need to use.

If I had it to buy over again, would I choose the 6008? Well, I might've opted for the Denon X4000 had I known then what I know now. Be that as it may, I'm thoroughly pleased with my Marantz. Audyssey makes it well equalized, the osd is nice and easy to navigate, and it's got honest, clean power.

shootshescores

shootshescores

Enthusiast
You can do a lot better than $900 for the Marantz. Do you have a local dealer? If yes, then negotiate for a lower price. If not, then get the refurb from accessories4less or you can buy it from the AVS forum for much less than MSRP. AVS are an authorized dealer for many brands.
Are you referring to the classified section of the AVS forum? I couldn't find anything there. Please PM me with location on AVS forum.

shootshescores

shootshescores

Enthusiast
I've only had it a couple of months, but as far as I can tell, it's immaculate. The worst part about getting a refurb is that you can't easily tell whether it was originally an open or damaged box but otherwise unused, a store demo, or faulty and repaired. But I figure if it was repaired, someone else simply saved me the trouble of working out the bugs. In any case, it's got a year warranty that I see no indication whatsoever that I'll need to use.

If I had it to buy over again, would I choose the 6008? Well, I might've opted for the Denon X4000 had I known then what I know now. Be that as it may, I'm thoroughly pleased with my Marantz. Audyssey makes it well equalized, the osd is nice and easy to navigate, and it's got honest, clean power.

Why would you have opt for the Denon based on what you know now?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Why would you have opt for the Denon based on what you know now?
Sub EQ HT. Running dual subs helps even out room problems with bass. My system sounds much better with two subs than with one. But simply splitting the LFE signal to two subs without analysis or correction can do more harm than good. Sub EQ HT is the easiest, most automated way to handle that analysis and correction, and the Denon X4000 is the cheapest way to get it. It's also a great receiver otherwise. For what it's worth, the same company owns Denon as owns Marantz, if you didn't know.

I'm thoroughly happy with my Marantz though. For sub correction I was able to add a miniDSP, which is ultimately more flexible and more hands-on than Sub EQ HT, but the Denon would've gotten me where I wanted to be sooner with less effort.

Last edited:
shootshescores

shootshescores

Enthusiast
I've found the Marantz 5008 and Yamaha RX-A1020 Aventage for the same price (and a good one at that). Which would you choose?

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
I think that Yamaha is last year's model. I would probably go for the Yamaha because they seem to have a better reliability record than D&M.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
The real question is which has the best room correction -- the Yamaha with its YPAO, or the Marantz with its Audyssey. You already know my opinion though. It might be worthwhile to Google YPAO Audyssey and see discussions other people have had on the subject.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
The real question is which has the best room correction -- the Yamaha with its YPAO, or the Marantz with its Audyssey. You already know my opinion though. It might be worthwhile to Google YPAO Audyssey and see discussions other people have had on the subject.

Anthem, as long as your googling :p :)

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Anthem, as long as your googling :p :)

- Rich
I googled enough to know the outcome, it will be Anthem. That being a smaller community where users also tend to be more tech savy so they probaly did most things right. Until I see some credible comparison with data and graphs I'll reserve my own judgment. Without data/graphs, EQ preference for the most part would naturally be subjective. I think Audyssey can't be too bad if D&M, NAD, McIntosh, Onkyo have it in their products.:D I can at least vouch for their DEQ feature, a very nice one.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

I see many people enjoying Audessy. Also as mentioned, one can adjust the results with PQ-EDIT to tailor teh sound exactly to their needs.

G

gomezgb

Enthusiast
Good day!

I just want to confirm from you that a4l is a reputable vendor. I am afraid that the A/V receivers won't work as well as the ones purchased directly from the manufactures.

REGARDS

GABRIEL GOMEZ

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis