Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
What should we call the discussion when our notion of god is of an "indescribable transcendence" ?...
If the issue is man's search for knowledge about himself and his relationship to the world in which he lives, it is philosophy. If the issue is man's search for his relationship with unknowable and invisible supreme beings or indescribable transcendence, then you can call it religion...or fiction, whichever you prefer.;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
On a board founded on the precept that objective measurements and scientifically rigorous testing is the only way to truly evaluate the claims of audio gear: this is an interesting discussion to find (not for being "not audio", but for proporting to debate the validity of science (actually, I've seen little accurately described science in the last 10 pages)
That has dumbfounded me as well. ;):D

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Dictionary: met·a·phys·ics

n.

1. (used with a sing. verb) Philosophy. The branch of philosophy that examines the nature of reality, including the relationship between mind and matter, substance and attribute, fact and value.
2. (used with a pl. verb) The theoretical or first principles of a particular discipline: the metaphysics of law.
3. (used with a sing. verb) A priori speculation upon questions that are unanswerable to scientific observation, analysis, or experiment.
4. (used with a sing. verb) Excessively subtle or recondite reasoning.

[From pl. of Middle English methaphisik, from Medieval Latin metaphysica, from Medieval Greek (ta) metaphusika, from Greek (Ta) meta (ta) phusika, (the works) after the Physics, the title of Aristotle's treatise on first principles (so called because it followed his work on physics) : meta, after; see meta- + phusika, physics; see physics.]

Dictionary: cos·mol·o·gy

n., pl., -gies.

1. The study of the physical universe considered as a totality of phenomena in time and space.
1. The astrophysical study of the history, structure, and constituent dynamics of the universe.
2. A specific theory or model of this structure and these dynamics.

Yes, these would both apply to the former position of man searching for his place in the universe, as they do not presume the existence of a supernatural force. Metaphysics as a branch of philosophy and cosmology as a branch of science. The latter position which does presume such a presence might be considered, as an (arguably) academic study, theology which would include such topics as spiritualism, superstition and transcendence.

N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
That's just an arbitrary position.
No. Believing what they're selling instead of their hindu counterparts on the other side of the planet is essentially arbitrary. Thinking they're all full of it is not arbitrary.

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
I live in Quebec where we threw the priests out on their ears about 45 years ago. We haven't let them back in. Churches are being turned into condos. No journalist would ask a politician if he believed in god and if one did the politician wouldn't answer saying it is a private matter. So for me seeing the religious stuff in the States like : an American president walking around with bible in hand; moronic half wit preachers like Ernest Angley on national network tv; Pat Boone on Larry King explaining how they cured someone from some disease with a prayer network etc.etc.; is all mind boggling and a bit frightening. .
What you’re witnessing there is people practicing their freedom of speech. Yes, that means everyone, no matter what they have to say, like the group of KKK members that stood on the steps of the state capitol here in Minnesota spewing their…views.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Seriously, Man Vs Food. Travel Channel. Lighten up guys.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I would really like to see a , I'll call it this for lack of another term, "religion" based on the knowledge we have acquired through physics and biology. Not a religion with some simplistic paternal deity but a view of the universe based on our knowledge and through which we can share the mysteries, because they are still mysteries, of birth and death and everything in between.
Don't forget questions about gravity at large scales. For a religion to be complete it would have to address that.

Or. Perhaps we should look at philosophies as pragmatic approaches to living, and evaluate them based on their success at that (I like Daoism there); and science for knowledge about life and the universe. If what you want is ritual and community, try clubs (secular humanists perhaps?)

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
What you’re witnessing there is people practicing their freedom of speech. Yes, that means everyone, no matter what they have to say, like the group of KKK members that stood on the steps of the state capitol here in Minnesota spewing their…views.
Not all of his examples. I think politicians carrying their religions on their sleeve is to get votes. Of course, I think politicians in his area keeping religion personal is to get votes too.

manofsteel2397

manofsteel2397

Audioholic
uh... not really sure I understand what you mean by "can't be proved into law". science isn't capable of proving anything in absolute terms. evolution is as much "law" as anything else... "scientific theory" is not the same as the crazy guy on the street corner's "theory" that the government invented AIDS and crack.

also, evolution has absolutely nothing to do with how life began. evolution is the thing that happens to life after it already began.
EXACTLY science will never be able to prove how we got here but it will be able to tell us how we became the way we are today...and tommorow

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis