D

desmo900rider

Junior Audioholic
p38 said:
Do yourself a big favor and save for a good two channel amp. Your Maggies will thank you.
If this was going to be a music only system I would, but this needs to serve the HT function as well...

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
I know the top end Yamahas like the 2700 or 4600 work quite well with Maggies, I would seriously look into those, I truly relate to your love for Maggies, they are the sweetest offering to come out of the US, have always admired their sound.

D

desmo900rider

Junior Audioholic
Maybe someday, but thats way more than I have to spend right now...Hopefully a 659 will just wet my appetite for bigger and better Yamahas...;)

E

EconoPUndit

Audiophyte
Do yourself a big favor and save for a good two channel amp. Your Maggies will thank you.
Have to say I agree. After hum & other problems with preamp/processor/3 basic amps I traded everything but 5 Maggies & Bryston 4B in for an easy to run NAD T773. Ran everything off of it for several years and was happy.

But in a fit of ambition I went to the back of the T773, pulled the front R&L jumpers and put the Bryston's 400 watts back into service.

Whoa! What a difference.

william

william

Enthusiast
Recently Auditioned MMG

I have a pair of MMGs that I have been auditioning and comparing with Ascend CMT-340 SE. Magnepan's return policy is 60 days and my audition period is about up. My listening observations are:

- I found the sound quality between the Magnepan MMGs and Ascend CMT-340s to be very close. The MMGs seemed to have slightly more lower bass extension than the Ascends. The Ascends seemed slightly better in the high frequency response.
- These speakers have different sound characteristics, however, both produced great sound and were a pleasure to listen to on a wide range of music and HT soundtracks.
- I did find the sweet spot for the MMGs to be very limited. Vertical dispersion characteristics caused the sound timbre to quickly change as you go from sitting to standing. The sound becomes noticeably more muted if you are doing critical listening. However, for casual listening and parties, you'd likely never notice this difference. And if you always sit in the sweet spot, then no problem - the MMGs sounded exceptional.
- I also experienced some odd sound stage behavior with the MMGs. 1) When I moved my head slightly off center axis to the left in one particular audition room/set-up, I passed through a point where the center vocals shifted from the front center to my left side. Very odd. Moving my head further left caused the image to move back to center. This soundstage anomaly, I'm certain is very setup dependent. 2) On some material (such as female Jazz vocals) the sound image (vocalist or instrument) appeared "supersized" compared to the image produced by the Ascends. While this supersized sound image still sounded great, the effect caused the MMGs to be perceived by me to be less "natural" or "live performance" like at times. The Ascend's seemed to give a better "live" performance illusion.

Regarding receivers:
- I tested the MMGs with both a Yamaha 5960 (equivalent to 659) and Denon 1907. I thought qualitatively that the Yamaha sounded "strained" when driving the MMGs. I too spoke to Yamaha tech support and they did not recommend the 5960 (or 659) for 4 ohm speakers. In particular, they said that the center channel and surround amplifiers were different than for the front mains and that these were not really designed for driving 4 ohm speakers. So, if you're planning an all Magnepan 5 speaker HT configuration, consider other amps.
- I also felt that the MMGs sounded better with the Denon 1907 (and my older Harman Kardon AVR-130) than with the Yamaha. (The Denon had the added benefit that s-video signals looked better on screen than with the Yamaha. I also liked the Denon's OSD menu system better than the Yamaha's.)

Relative to my overall speaker evaluation, I concluded that the Ascends offered the better value because:
- Similar sound quality to MMGs.
- Had no sound stage "anomlies" like what I experienced with the MMGs.
- Much easier to work with from a room placement / sound optimization perspective.
- They sounded more like a live performance to me and had better off axis response.
- Lower estimated cost for a 5 speaker HT configuration (based on Ascend CMT-340s for front L/R and center and CBM-170s for surrounds versus Magnepan MMGs for front L/R and CC3 center and MMG-Ws for surrounds).

Ultimately, which sounds best will depend on your room/setup and listening preferences. The Magnepan MMGs do sound great. I will really hate to send them back in a about a week. If you plan to implement just a stereo setup for music and have a room that can accommodate the Magnepans optimal placement, then I would highly recommend the MMGs. Also, if you are considering upgrading to higher-end Magnepans (e.g. 1.6s) within the year, then Magnepan's refund upgrade policy can't be beat. By the way, I did test the MMGs as surrounds with 1.6s as front L/R and a CC3 for the center (HSU VTF 3.3 Subwoofer). It was spectacular on 5.1 channel music.

Hope this helps.

R

rumble

Audioholic
Regarding receivers:
- I tested the MMGs with both a Yamaha 5960 (equivalent to 659) and Denon 1907. I thought qualitatively that the Yamaha sounded "strained" when driving the MMGs. I too spoke to Yamaha tech support and they did not recommend the 5960 (or 659) for 4 ohm speakers. In particular, they said that the center channel and surround amplifiers were different than for the front mains and that these were not really designed for driving 4 ohm speakers. So, if you're planning an all Magnepan 5 speaker HT configuration, consider other amps.
-

Hope this helps.
I also have the MMGs and I think the receivers you used for your testing are way underpowered. Magnepan rates the MMGs at 40 watts minimum, 150 watts maximum at 8 ohms. But these speakers present a true 4 ohm load(4 ohms acros the entire frequency response with a narrow spike at the crossover point) so those numbers are understated. You really need an amp stable at 4 ohms with plenty of power.

I use a Behringer A500 amp to power both speakers. I found a site on the internet that tested the output of this amp and rated it at 180 watts per channel at 4 ohms. I can run these speakers all the way until just before the clip lights come on the amp without any problems. I get the impression they could handle more power than this.

F

fourwheels0

Audioholic Intern
ok i have a yamaha rx-v992 with the 4-8 ohm switch on the back and i'm getting a nice set of magnepan mg-1 imp's. will this receiver set to 4 ohm's have enough power to push the maggie's properly?.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
Power does not have to double down at 4 ohms so ignore that, High current amps will do that but if one increases 50% that is just fine, as far as the Magnepan speakers I owned them when I ran Electrostat mains and can say from experience the are an outstanding value.
The high frequency limits are just fine as many cant even hear past 15K, bass isnt there but probably the best sub that wont break the bank to mate with them is the Vandersteen sub, it is super fast and deep for music and great for movies also.
This line of speakers is a no brainer if you have reasonable power, they look great and have a purity in the mid range that is stellar for this price point, there are few if any speakers in this budget that can compete, plus they come with a return receipt if you dont like them, they also hold value well so it is a minimal risk to try them. WAF is also high as the wall mounts have swing away brackets when not in use.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
PS I ran mine with 75W Rotel amp and had NO PROBLEMS, I would suggest more power (100-200 for mains) and as little as 50-75w for surrounds.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Power does not have to double down at 4 ohms so ignore that, High current amps will do that but if one increases 50% that is just fine, as far as the Magnepan speakers I owned them when I ran Electrostat mains and can say from experience the are an outstanding value.
The high frequency limits are just fine as many cant even hear past 15K, bass isnt there but probably the best sub that wont break the bank to mate with them is the Vandersteen sub, it is super fast and deep for music and great for movies also.
This line of speakers is a no brainer if you have reasonable power, they look great and have a purity in the mid range that is stellar for this price point, there are few if any speakers in this budget that can compete, plus they come with a return receipt if you dont like them, they also hold value well so it is a minimal risk to try them. WAF is also high as the wall mounts have swing away brackets when not in use.
Halving the impedance does require twice the power output from the amplifier. Do mind that. And also, a 50% gain in power is pretty much worthless. A 100% gain will only get you a 3dB increase in output, so unless you need a couple extra watts to avoid clipping at your usual reference volumes, this is bad advice.

F

fourwheels0

Audioholic Intern
well i went and picked up the speakers this morning and they are in great shape and sound good (no rattle's or buzz) aside from 1 small snag in 1 sock i can't complain. now i need to decide on whether to keep the system or sell it. anybody have any idea's what it would be worth?. system includes yamaha rx-v992 receiver,yamaha kx-w282 dual cassette and the magnepan speakers. thanks.

dilznoofus

dilznoofus

Audioholic Intern
Oh, just quit it.

Wrong. The power should DOUBLE in 4 ohms. If it's 100W in 8 ohms, it should be 200W in 4 ohms. Physical fact. Ohm's law tells you P=R*I^2 which yields 2P=0.5R*I^2.

A "good" amp will double its power in 4 ohms, and those are the ones that work well with Maggies...

Said by an owner of 20.1, 3.6, CC3, and MG1...

Peter
Power does not have to double down at 4 ohms so ignore that....
Let's see, who I am gonna trust on this one? Someone who owns a veritable boatload of Magnepans, or someone who spends time worrying about the title under his made up internet name on a web forum?

What Peter said about current is absolutely correct.

Chadnliz, why don't you wander back down to the Member Systems Gallery and make a bunch more of your "wow, great system" posts. That way, your post count can zoom into the stratosphere and you can then perceive yourself as an Audio God if you like.

Said by an owner of 1.6's, SMGc's, MGCC-1

F

fourwheels0

Audioholic Intern
ok upon checking my receiver it DOES double the power at 4 ohm's. it's 100 watt's at 8 ohm's and 200 at 4 ohm's. god these speaker's do sound good haha.

P

peterw

Audiophyte
I owned a pair of 1.6 maggies in the early 2000s.

They spoiled me in the mids and highs when I listen to other speakers now.

Get a good sub.

A

Audioi

Audiophyte
Magnepan's can be wonderful with the correct associated pieces. I have owned a few pairs over the last 21 years. I find that they like power, the more the merrier. They also seem to eat current so an amp that can supplu lots will make them happy. Don't be afraid of too much power but dont ask more than the amp can deliver.
I am currently running my MG2.7Qr with 1200 watts per of McIntosh power and they LOVE it.
Get em' right and you will not believe how good they sound!
Good Luck.:)

D

DFCall

Audiophyte
Magnepan MMG W for killer system

I have been playing with the MMG Ws for about 8months. I found a pair of discounted AV123 ERT SUPER TWEETERS that I have hooked up for the extension of the high end, and two 8” M&K subs for the bottom end. I have found this setup one of the best detailed speakers systems I have heard. Yes I would like the bigger Magges, however I do not have the space for them.
If you can find a good price on a set of super tweeters and small fast subs, the MMG Ws can be the mid range for a killer system.

S

swong46

Audiophyte
Revive! I am looking to buy a set of MMG's that are 10 years old. The seller said they were stored most of the time so the glue should still be good. But anyways, would I be foolish to buy some Magnepans that are this old?

And does anyone have experience mounting these on the wall or mounting high up and angled down? I don't have much room besides for putting them next to a desk but then the desk gets in the way because I want these for my room (getting them super cheap!)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis