Macintosh MC152 amplifier

Revelation

Revelation

Junior Audioholic
I was looking for an amp to replace my aging and original Adcom 555. I have a NAD 658 pre amp, Focal Aria speakers along with a Dual CS 500 turntable and Denon CD player. Before choosing the Mac, I strongly considered the PS Audio M600, Parasound A21+ as well. I found the M600 did not have enough meat on the bone for me. The A21+ was similar to my Adcom but a clear step up. I think I would be happy with this amp as well. The Mac however has a refined sound, and its gentle laid back approach helps a lot of music that even if it was not recorded the best, will gentle smooth the music that may come across harsh on some other amps. I am hopeful once I receive it, and have the 30 day trial period, that I will be very happy with it. I am wondering how long the burn in process will take for it to sound its best. With this price of this amp going up $500 on Feb 1st 2022, I felt some pressure to pull the trigger a little earlier than I planned

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think you're overthinking what amps are capable of. The macs have pretty blue lights and keep good resale value in any case. Good luck with finding the "audio qualities" you think lie in amplifiers.

Revelation

Revelation

Junior Audioholic
All 3 amps I mentioned I heard in the same room with the same speakers. David Bowie Let's Dance and Yes Owner of a lonely heart sounded different through each amp.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Guys who don't believe amps have their own sound-signature also believe there is no such thing as "burn-in period" - the music will sound great the first time you turn the amp on.

Camp 1: No such thing as burn-in period, when level-matched (TRULY level-matched), amps will sound the same unless other things are processing the sound.

Camp 2: All amps sound differently, who cares about truly level-matched, who cares about any stinking Double-blind AB testing, and yes, burn-in period is for real, dude. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
All 3 amps I mentioned I heard in the same room with the same speakers. David Bowie Let's Dance and Yes Owner of a lonely heart sounded different through each amp.
I doubt that is a level matched let alone blind comparison. Fraught with issues as far as meaning something to anyone but yourself....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Do David Bowie's music recordings involved electronics? If yes, what kind of fidelity can we expect? How would we know which one of the 3 amps would be most transparent?

B

BWguy

Junior Audioholic
I find it interesting some people don’t think anything makes a difference in sound quality, whether it be electronics or cables.. In my opinion, everything makes a difference. A Mac amp will have a different sound signature than say a Bryston, Classe, or a Pass Lab. I switched from Classe to McIntosh, and now have a slightly warmer overall sound, with improved mid range. Speaker cables make a difference as well. I was shocked when I upgraded to Audioquest bi wire William Tell cables from basic generic cables. My B&w 802d3’s with McIntosh 611’s came alive. So much more detail.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Differences don't necessarily mean better either, tho. Fraudioquest is a joke. Then again most consumer comparisons are poorly conducted. My favorite cartoon for audio

Attachments

B

BWguy

Junior Audioholic
Agree, difference doesn’t mean better, just different. The cartoon is so true. Good stuff ain’t cheap.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I find it interesting some people don’t think anything makes a difference in sound quality, whether it be electronics or cables.. In my opinion, everything makes a difference. A Mac amp will have a different sound signature than say a Bryston, Classe, or a Pass Lab. I switched from Classe to McIntosh, and now have a slightly warmer overall sound, with improved mid range. Speaker cables make a difference as well. I was shocked when I upgraded to Audioquest bi wire William Tell cables from basic generic cables. My B&w 802d3’s with McIntosh 611’s came alive. So much more detail.
The purpose of an amplifier is to amplify the source voltage to drive a loudspeaker without any modification other than increased voltage and current. It is neutral and all well designed amplifiers sound the same when driven within their limits, period.

If an amplifier has a sound signature, then it's not a good amp. Also, you can't compare amplifiers unless a well conducted double blind testing is done at equal volumes.

Believe what you want but don't come and tell us that there are differences in cable performance and with bi-wiring (buy-wiring). That's audiophoolry!

Last edited:
B

BWguy

Junior Audioholic
Ok, we each have opinions. I know many on this site believe as you do, that cables don’t matter. There are others on other sites that do believe cables matter. Let’s just say I am happy with the sound I am hearing. Isn’t that what this is all about?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Ok, we each have opinions. There are others on other sites that do believe cables matter.
And some of them are reluctant to admit that they were screwed by paying ridiculous prices.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, we each have opinions. I know many on this site believe as you do, that cables don’t matter. There are others on other sites that do believe cables matter. Let’s just say I am happy with the sound I am hearing. Isn’t that what this is all about?
You have opinion, I go with fact. Sure, if placebos make you happy, go for it. I think you too have read too many audio magazine reviews (or excitable consumers who got sucked in). Cables do matter, you can't hook up a system without (altho wireless does reduce a few wires :) ). The science of cables is well known. The science of gullible consumers is well known. Worlds collide. :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed, that's why I don't pay too much attention to subjective reviews. Opinions may not be based on facts. I would rather go with specifications and lab measurements. You can't argue with those, but you can do your own measurements and compared the numbers measured by others.

Revelation

Revelation

Junior Audioholic
I received the McIntosh MC152 and thanks to a McIntosh Unboxing Video online, it helped me get this heavy amp out of the box safely by myself. The unit looks really nice, and I am one that loves the blue meters. I let the amp warm up for an hour before I used it with my NAD 658 preamp and Focal Aria 926 speakers.

The first thing I will say is the amp is not dark, warm, or dull. It has a very big bass representation, smooth mids, and pleasant top end. Compared to my original Adcom 555 amp, the sound is a little larger, details on instruments are pulled more a little forward and heard better. The sound is refined, it has this elegant sound that is really nice. I know there are times people try to justify things they buy, but if this amp did not make a very good impression, I would have sent it back and purchased a Parasound JC5 amp.

Alot of our purchases are emotional ones and I think that is overlooked too much. I think part of the emotional appeal to McIntosh is that the product is made in America where they provide enough wages for people to live in the area of Binghamton New York. Yes, audio gear made in America cost more than someplace in China. Those overseas facilities, you don’t know anything about the work environment, quality control, and how many audio companies are using the same parts. You can tour the McIntosh facility and there are online videos that shows the gear being made. I'm proud that McIntosh makes equipment at their facility and have no issues paying a little more for gear which supports workers who live in New York State.

I know some class D amps are clean and have great base depth. However, when comparing it to class AB amps, the Class D can have less meat on the bone. Some may prefer that more neutral sound and many will be drawn to an amp that has a little more umph to it. The MC152 which is not Class D does not ooze a heavy character. It has a gentle smooth sound while still being clean and detailed. I read where some don’t want some Class D amps because the small modules inside are not worth more than a couple hundred dollar that is put in a metal box that charge thousands of dollars for. Others say you’re paying for the R&D of these amps and don’t have an issue with them.

I like the gentle character of this amp. It does not affect the clean detailed top end that the amp provides. I don’t need to put the volume past 50% on my NAD as its pretty loud. It seems to have a good amount of headroom. I highly recommend this amp and though it was a costly price, it was worth it for me.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis