.m4a to .mp3 conversion ratio

P

Pupp

Audioholic Intern
I have a bunch of .m4a files and wanted to convert to .mp3.

The question is: Whats the best ratio to convert to?

Lets say I have 128bit .m4a, what should I convert to as an .mp3 file?

I read someplace that since .m4a files are so much better over .mp3, that you have to convert them to a higher .mp3 ratio to have the same audio fidelity.

-Ok, I know that .mp3 files, once converted, will still lose at some of the audio fidelity, especially at the higher frequencies. But for travelling in a car, or working out on a treadmill, I really don't care about THAT much fidelity of the .mp3 files.

But I still want to preserve as much fidelity as possible anyway.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Lets say I have 128bit .m4a, what should I convert to as an .mp3 file?
Convert a few and have a listen to them. Try 320, 192 and 128 bit rates and see when you can notice the difference. If space isn't an issue, convert them all to 320 and be done with it.

Steve

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
transcoding lossy files only results in additional loss :/

P

Pupp

Audioholic Intern
transcoding lossy files only results in additional loss :/
I need to get something to listen to when I'm on a treadmill. The healthclub only has 2 tv's: one on a sports channel, and the other on Fox news. And both are set on mute (with subtitles on though).

I want to keep higher fidelity though, for when I'm in the car and plugging it to my car radio.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Please note that .m4a is a container format and usually contains AAC audio, which is just another lossy compression format. Converting from one lossy format to another will result in further compression of already compressed and lossy audio.

If you must do it because mp3 is more widely supported, convert it to 256 kbps or 320 kbps MP3. You probably won't notice too much difference.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis