Luxman L-509Z Integrated Amplifier

Echolane

Echolane

Audioholic Intern
Japan uses a 2-prong plug, often times with a third ground wire protruding that can be manually attached to ground.

Japan is a 100VAC country, not 120VAC like in North America. So you need to double check to confirm that the product you are interested in is rated for 110-120 before purchasing.
The seller has included a step down transformer of the appropriate ratings. The power cord will not contain a ground wire.
Since Luxman sells worldwide one would think they would have designed a simple system internally that would allow them to easily set the unit for the electricity used in their targeted foreign market.. None of my audio friends seem to think Luxman made it easy for folks like me who buy gray market products to revise the electricity for the US.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m going to jump on this thread because I am having the same issue as our original poster As follows:

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase a Luxman L-509Z US version directly in Japan ?

I'm asking because in US this amp costs 12,500 USD. In Japan it costs 7200 USD (999,0000 Yen).

So I'm thinking of just buying directly in Japan if they are able to sell me the US versions.

Thanks!

I'm interested in purchasing a Luxman tube amplifier and pre-amplifier. I also find the price differential way too generous a hurdle to jump across, as the US cost is twice that of the Japanese cost. It would cost me about $15,000 to buy in the US. EBay prices are half. I simply can’t afford the US cost.

I have been warned that buying a Japanese product would come with no warranty, that if it should need a repair I would have to give the serial number and I might be refused an opportunity to buy needed parts. Also, it might not be internally grounded. Japanese power cords come with only two prongs instead of three, an indication that they might not be grounded internally.

Can anyone confirm these issues?

Nevertheless, even if true, this is the only possible way for me to own these top quality Luxman products so I’m inclined to go ahead.
As a guess I don't think they would sell you a US unit and bypass their commitment with US importer/distributor contract. Probably only requests for such a purchase would come from the US, so probably no reason to have another option in Japan. Good luck, tho.

Echolane

Echolane

Audioholic Intern
Japan uses a 2-prong plug, often times with a third ground wire protruding that can be manually attached to ground.

Japan is a 100VAC country, not 120VAC like in North America. So you need to double check to confirm that the product you are interested in is rated for 110-120 before purchasing.
There is definitely not a wire protruding from the 2 prong plug.
This is what I’ve discovered so far:
There is a ground terminal inside, and in the case of a control amp ground terminal, by fixing the ground wire of the analog player here, the chassis-to-chassis connection is made and hum noise will not occur. For other applications, such as power amplifiers, this is to reduce noise when other equipment is connected.
It is not a safety ground.
IOW, there is no internal safety ground.

I was not able to discover whether my gear can be modified to use US power. I wish I knew if there was a way because it would be better to eliminate the step down transformer.

i will add that I am very very pleased with my purchase. It sounds wonderful and Luxman has definitely added to the pleasure of listening to music in my system. I only wish these products would be more reasonably priced in the US. Making them twice as expensive seems more like profiteering than fair pricing. Had the differences been closer I would have paid the extra to buy US.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There is definitely not a wire protruding from the 2 prong plug.
This is what I’ve discovered so far:
There is a ground terminal inside, and in the case of a control amp ground terminal, by fixing the ground wire of the analog player here, the chassis-to-chassis connection is made and hum noise will not occur. For other applications, such as power amplifiers, this is to reduce noise when other equipment is connected.
It is not a safety ground.
IOW, there is no internal safety ground.

I was not able to discover whether my gear can be modified to use US power. I wish I knew if there was a way because it would be better to eliminate the step down transformer.

i will add that I am very very pleased with my purchase. It sounds wonderful and Luxman has definitely added to the pleasure of listening to music in my system. I only wish these products would be more reasonably priced in the US. Making them twice as expensive seems more like profiteering than fair pricing. Had the differences been closer I would have paid the extra to buy US.
Maybe something for @highfigh or @TLS Guy to comment what's involved in changing....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Maybe something for @highfigh or @TLS Guy to comment what's involved in changing....
The only way you could do that is to buy power transformers made for those units and the US. I assume spare parts are available from the US distributor. I bet when you finished the job it would wipe out your savings.

highfigh

highfigh

This has a typical IEC port for the power cord and it has a ground pin. If it wasn't supposed to be grounded, it wouldn't have that pin. The back of this model also shows '100VAC 50/60Hz'.

Equipment made for the Japanese market has been brought to the US for decades and it usually works fine- the US grid is supposed to provide 120VAC +/- 10% anyway, so.....

highfigh

highfigh

Exchange rate it nothing, yeah it varies but at current rate in my area costs 12,500+9% sales tax would cost me: 900K yen =~ 6,200 USD + Shipping (Max 1K):
Buy in US: 13,625 USD
Buy in Japan: 7,200 USD
This is a 47% difference.

@lovinthehd
Is your freight inclusive of all transport legs? --- Yes
Is customs clearance included? --- I am not sure, need to look into it.
Formal entry is required for purchases of $2500 or more now I believe. ---- I didn't know about this, need to google what this means. Thanks!
The cost of a foreign-made product HAS TO include getting it to the destination country. This also includes receiving and handling and distribution to the dealers and everything that is included in operating a business in the destination country. Should they eat these costs? Then, you probably want a warranty.

How important is a warranty, to you? While it's probably not going to blow up during the normal warranty period, repairing it out of warranty will be expensive- it's your call. Also, I would think that parts availability will be prioritized in favor of authorized dealers and service centers even if a lot of the parts are generic.

I seriously doubt that an OEM power transformer will be easy/possible to buy in the US, although you could have one custom made if you can find the specs.

The owner's manual mentions that their equipment needing repairs should be taken to the dealer who sold it, so....

highfigh

highfigh

The only way you could do that is to buy power transformers made for those units and the US. I assume spare parts are available from the US distributor. I bet when you finished the job it would wipe out your savings.
A power transformer is probably a special order part since it's not going to be in high demand, like consumables (belts, IEC power cords, etc). That alone will make it expensive and who knows how long it would take for the part to arrive? Then, who will replace the OEM part, since so few service centers/personnel are available?

If repairing out of warranty electronics was practical/feasible, we would have more options but since everything has become disposable, we're generally stuck. Fortunately, vocational/tech colleges still train people to repair electronics, but they usually go into industrial positions and aren't easy to convince that consumer electronics repair is a good career path.

H

herve in ny

Audiophyte
Just jumping in. I had a 509X that i traded for a 509Z. Its a great upgrade. Before buying in Japan consider that you can have a 15 to 20% discount in the US and that it comes with a warranty. Its also way easier to resale in case you need.

Echolane

Echolane

Audioholic Intern
UPDATE: I did buy my much wanted Luxman amp and preamp from a Japanese eBay seller. The seller included a step down transformer and free shipping was very nice to deal with. There was zero duty. I saved half. At the moment I’m very satisfied with my purchase and the entire transaction. If my amp or preamp should need a repair, I may have a different story to tell, but meanwhile, so far so good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis