Luxman L-509Z Integrated Amplifier

A

ajones82

Enthusiast
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase a Luxman L-509Z US version directly in Japan ?

I'm asking because in US this amp costs 12,500 USD. In Japan it costs 7200 USD (999,0000 Yen).

So I'm thinking of just buying directly in Japan if they are able to sell me the US versions.

Thanks!

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
The answer to your questions is NO, NO, and NO .

What you don't seem to understand in the price difference is the added costs involved. Import duty, Freight, Warrant, etc. Plus the
retail / dealer profit margins, No one works for nothing.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase a Luxman L-509Z US version directly in Japan ?

I'm asking because in US this amp costs 12,500 USD. In Japan it costs 7200 USD (999,0000 Yen).

So I'm thinking of just buying directly in Japan if they are able to sell me the US versions.

Thanks!
Put it this way, if you are in Japan, or have someone in Japan purchase it from an authorized dealer, then the only issues would be: shipping/insurance costs, the additional cost for a step down power supply (I wouldn't bother myself as I will be shocked if such an high quality amp would be bothered with 120 V) and warranty. My Marantz separates came from Hong Kong, specs say 100 V 50/60 Hz, same as Luxman's. You can also ask Luxman Japan the question, but it would be better to just ask if you buy in from Japan and you may be relocating the the US in the near future, otherwise you may not get the "right"/unbiased response.

The power supply is not a big deal, you may or may not need an adapter for the plug/socket, but the 100 V 50/60 Hz would indicate that it is compatible with the US 120 V 60 Hz standard, but if you want to be 100% sure then add in the cost of a good quality step down transformer.

1689256708590.png

On warranty, quite often there is an option of "international warranty" but again, it is a question for Luxman and I would suggest again, ask the question wisely (your wording...). Worse case, you may have to send it back to Japan for warranty work, or get it fixed by a competent individual and pay for it accordingly, and they all have their own reasons that is not always cost related.

So, there are pros and cons, but people do it all the time, numerous immigrants from the fast east bring them hifi gear with them all the time.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Interesting that they do offer the "made in Japan" step up transformer, that I am 99% sure is just an upselling thing that, in this case, may have some marginally (if any) benefits. There would be no audible benefits, and if such a well build product cannot take 120 V if it is designed for 100 V (50/60 Hz) incoming, there is something wrong with the design lol..

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Interesting that they do offer the "made in Japan" step up transformer, that I am 99% sure is just an upselling thing that, in this case, may have some marginally (if any) benefits. There would be no audible benefits, and if such a well build product cannot take 120 V if it is designed for 100 V (50/60 Hz) incoming, there is something wrong with the design lol..
Interesting it notes this :
Power supply230V~(50Hz) /115V~(60Hz)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Just a couple of facts to consider on this topic:

1)For voltage increase from 100 V to 120 V, that's 20% increase
2)For an inductive load, i.e. the power transformer of the power supply, an increase of impedance from 50 to 60 Hz, that's an increase of 20%

So, the current draw by the transformer remain roughly the same regardless of it being powered by 100 V 50 Hz or 120 V 60 Hz.

That's of course, just based on current, other factors that must be considered:

- The 20% higher voltage, would typically mean the DC (rail) voltage will increase by 20% as well, so one has to understand this and make sure that higher voltage is still well with the block/aka storage capacitors.
- Other voltage sensitive parts (most unlikely not an issue, just a cya remark).

Based on the above, for a low output amp such as the Luxman 509Z, it is hard to imagine the caps rated voltage could be an issue as even the popular 60 V rated caps would provide sufficient safety margin for the 20% higher incoming voltage. Even AVRs, those power supply block capacitors are usually rated 71 V or 80 V (flagship class such as the Denon AVR-X8500H).

Still, it is an expensive device, so I would urge the OP to contact Luxman, but again, ask the question skillfully to avoid getting a cya type of response.

A

ajones82

Enthusiast
@PENG and @cpp and @mono-bloc thanks for your input. @mono-bloc I also understand all those factors BUT for me math doesn't add up to double the price and therefore I'm looking at a more efficient way to get what I need.

@BoredSysAdmin are you really a sysadmin ? :) I'm asking because I am, so I found your username pretty funny.
(
Q: How do you generate a random string?
A: Put a Windows user in front of vi, and tell them to exit
)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@BoredSysAdmin are you really a sysadmin ? :) I'm asking because I am, so I found your username pretty funny.
(
)
[/QUOTE]
At least few companies were fooled by my CV and paid my for position of Sr. Systems Engineer, so I guess I am.
speaking of IT jokes:

A RAID member disk walks into a bar. Bartender asks what’s wrong?
“Parity error.”
“Yeah, you look a bit off.”

A

ajones82

Enthusiast
(
)
At least few companies were fooled by my CV and paid my for position of Sr. Systems Engineer, so I guess I am.
speaking of IT jokes:

A RAID member disk walks into a bar. Bartender asks what’s wrong?
“Parity error.”
“Yeah, you look a bit off.”
[/QUOTE]
Hahaha…that’s cool.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
So lets assume you have obtained the Luxman in Japan, And are intending to ship it to your own country. Regardless of what you paid. plus freight and insurance, you will also have to pay import duty. I'm not sure but it's something like 17% of purchase price, in the USA,. And this will need to be paid before delivery, This applies to anything, new, used, 2nd hand, working or not.

Personally I would keep looking on USA Audio Mart,. You could even run a Wanted advert.

In my part of the world It's Aussie Audio Mart,

The new price here in OZ is $18500.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So lets assume you have obtained the Luxman in Japan, And are intending to ship it to your own country. Regardless of what you paid. plus freight and insurance, you will also have to pay import duty. I'm not sure but it's something like 17% of purchase price, in the USA,. And this will need to be paid before delivery, This applies to anything, new, used, 2nd hand, working or not.

Personally I would keep looking on USA Audio Mart,. You could even run a Wanted advert.

In my part of the world It's Aussie Audio Mart,

The new price here in OZ is $18500.
The US tariff duty rate for amplifiers, HTS 8518.40, is "free" (unless country of origin is a column 2 country, then 35%....column 2 is Russia, Belarus, Cuba, N.Korea).

A

ajones82

Enthusiast
The US tariff duty rate for amplifiers, HTS 8518.40, is "free" (unless country of origin is a column 2 country, then 35%....column 2 is Russia, Belarus, Cuba, N.Korea).
@lovinthehd thanks! I'm in the US. Didn't know this. I was expecting 5% or something around there but FREE is awesome.

@mono-bloc you see how do you justify the double-price markup ? I can't. I got freight quotes already and 1K is max that I got. I got some at 500 bucks only.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@lovinthehd thanks! I'm in the US. Didn't know this. I was expecting 5% or something around there but FREE is awesome.

@mono-bloc you see how do you justify the double-price markup ? I can't. I got freight quotes already and 1K is max that I got. I got some at 500 bucks only.
I think there was a 5% or 10% duty not that many years ago. I didn't look up the status of the user import fees (that aren't duties technically but very small percentage). I retired from international logistics and customs brokerage 10 years ago so don't need to keep up. Is your freight inclusive of all transport legs? Is customs clearance included? Formal entry is required for purchases of $2500 or more now I believe.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Exchange rates are horrendous at the moment One aussie dollar is worth 64 cents US or one us dollar is worth $1.56 here
Exchange rates vary, that explanation doesn't mean much. Like your duty rate.

A

ajones82

Enthusiast
Exchange rate it nothing, yeah it varies but at current rate in my area costs 12,500+9% sales tax would cost me: 900K yen =~ 6,200 USD + Shipping (Max 1K):
Buy in US: 13,625 USD
Buy in Japan: 7,200 USD
This is a 47% difference.

@lovinthehd
Is your freight inclusive of all transport legs? --- Yes
Is customs clearance included? --- I am not sure, need to look into it.
Formal entry is required for purchases of $2500 or more now I believe. ---- I didn't know about this, need to google what this means. Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Exchange rate it nothing, yeah it varies but at current rate in my area costs 12,500+9% sales tax would cost me: 900K yen =~ 6,200 USD + Shipping (Max 1K):
Buy in US: 13,625 USD
Buy in Japan: 7,200 USD
This is a 47% difference.

@lovinthehd
Is your freight inclusive of all transport legs? --- Yes
Is customs clearance included? --- I am not sure, need to look into it.
Formal entry is required for purchases of $2500 or more now I believe. ---- I didn't know about this, need to google what this means. Thanks!
Depends on how they quoted you, but often these days for a door-door service clearance will be included, particularly from the small package services of Fedex/UPS/DHL. A formal entry requires a bond so makes the clearance costs a bit more, you may need to provide power of attorney (depends in whose name they make entry, we used to prefer the buyer/owner/consignee provide such). Make sure the shipper (seller) does a good job of packing, that's the best sort of freight insurance, as handling is not likely to be gentle....

Echolane

Echolane

Audioholic Intern
I’m going to jump on this thread because I am having the same issue as our original poster As follows:

Thanks!

I'm interested in purchasing a Luxman tube amplifier and pre-amplifier. I also find the price differential way too generous a hurdle to jump across, as the US cost is twice that of the Japanese cost. It would cost me about $15,000 to buy in the US. EBay prices are half. I simply can’t afford the US cost.

I have been warned that buying a Japanese product would come with no warranty, that if it should need a repair I would have to give the serial number and I might be refused an opportunity to buy needed parts. Also, it might not be internally grounded. Japanese power cords come with only two prongs instead of three, an indication that they might not be grounded internally.

Can anyone confirm these issues?

Nevertheless, even if true, this is the only possible way for me to own these top quality Luxman products so I’m inclined to go ahead.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
I’m going to jump on this thread because I am having the same issue as our original poster As follows:

Thanks!

I'm interested in purchasing a Luxman tube amplifier and pre-amplifier. I also find the price differential way too generous a hurdle to jump across, as the US cost is twice that of the Japanese cost. It would cost me about $15,000 to buy in the US. EBay prices are half. I simply can’t afford the US cost.

I have been warned that buying a Japanese product would come with no warranty, that if it should need a repair I would have to give the serial number and I might be refused an opportunity to buy needed parts. Also, it might not be internally grounded. Japanese power cords come with only two prongs instead of three, an indication that they might not be grounded internally.

Can anyone confirm these issues?

Nevertheless, even if true, this is the only possible way for me to own these top quality Luxman products so I’m inclined to go ahead.
Japan uses a 2-prong plug, often times with a third ground wire protruding that can be manually attached to ground.

Japan is a 100VAC country, not 120VAC like in North America. So you need to double check to confirm that the product you are interested in is rated for 110-120 before purchasing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis