Z

Zool

Audioholic Intern
So I've decided on which monitors to get that are within my price range - the LSA's - but my question is whether to get the LSA .5s or the LSA Standards. I will be placing these on a bookshelf (WAF factor) with one inch of space behind them (the max height on the bookshelf is 14 inches). The room is large (20'+ ceilings)and it will be used for only listening to music. The .5s have front ports and the LSA1 has one rear port. I have an old infinity sub that fits inside of my built in cabinets (again - WAF factor). I may upgrade that to a sunfire within the year. I've heard if I plugged the rear port on any rear ported bookshelf, then the base refraction/deflection wouldn't be as noticable. I'm leaning towards the LSA1s due to the larger woofer size and thus better ability to fill in my large space. Any thoughts for those who have done this? Oh - these are an upgrade from my mirage omnisats that are currently there...

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
After considering your room size and placement limitation, I would look elsewhere for a monitor that would meet your needs.
How about the paradigm studio 10 or 20? More expensive, but front ported at least.
Focal also offers some front ported models.
Any chance of adjusting the shelf height? I get the whole WAF thing, but if you want decent sound, you'll have adjust something.
you'll also need a subwoofer somewhere in the room in order to experience any bass at all.
Cheers, Mac

Z

Zool

Audioholic Intern
So just curious, but why would you conclude that the LSAs can't do the job, but a paradigm studio 10/20 can? I have nothing against the paradigms, in fact I still have som S80's that are still great for HT, but I've read that the LSAs can hold their own, are very musical, and aren't known to be 'harsh' with respect to the paradigms (silk vs aluminum tweeter). But if you are just saying because they are front ported...the LSA.5 are as well...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They look great aesthetically. Expensive. Any measurements?

Z

Zool

Audioholic Intern
Right now their MSRP is 1299 on the LSA website, but my local dealer can get them for me for $799 - but no return policy from the dealer...lame. As far as specs and measurements - I can't say more than:
LSA ONE MONITOR SPEAKER REVIEW

Z

Zool

Audioholic Intern
the price were for the LSA1s - the LSA.5 are $100 cheaper

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
So just curious, but why would you conclude that the LSAs can't do the job, but a paradigm studio 10/20 can? I have nothing against the paradigms, in fact I still have som S80's that are still great for HT, but I've read that the LSAs can hold their own, are very musical, and aren't known to be 'harsh' with respect to the paradigms (silk vs aluminum tweeter). But if you are just saying because they are front ported...the LSA.5 are as well...
My bad on the front ported .5's and I wasn't crazy about the studio 10's other than their height.
you could always go with a rear ported design that you could plug and cross over to a sub between 80-100 hz and not worry about port noise or localization issues.
The real challenge as I see it for in-cabinet placement is the amount of bsc the crossover design. I went through this recently and ended up with a front ported John Krutke (zaph audio) design with the reduced bsc option. Lovin it!
Cheers, Mac

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis