LR and RR speakers playing same channel

chris pucknell

chris pucknell

Audiophyte
I have a.... HTS 5.0 surround sound speakers w/ Yamaha RX-V379 AV Unit connected to my PC via HDMI into a Nvidia GTX 650 Ti.

I'm not 100% sure how to phrase this question but, my LR and RR speakers are both emitting the same test tone through the windows playback devices config. The AV unit's internal test tone works fine however. So I'm guessing the issue is either to do with my setup or it's some strange software issue.

I've upgraded the Nvidia drivers, I've tried different AV unit 'programs' settings, not sure what the next step is to get this sorted!

I'm pretty bummed out by it, would like a more authentic cinema surround sound experience.

Cheers in advance for any help :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You might have to dig into the windows part of the audio setup. You have to tell it how many speakers and how there placed. Can't remember the way just now but. Look into that.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep. That's what I was thinking of. The other 5.1 shows the surrounds aimed from the sides.

chris pucknell

chris pucknell

Audiophyte
fraid that didn't make a difference! :/ both settings reproduce the same problem. the LR and RR channels are coming out of both the LR and RR speakers simultaneously in either 5.1 setup.

Edit: also tried 7.1 and all side and rear channels are coming through the LR and RR speakers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok I'll keep scratching my head. Do you have the Yamaha set to straight?(I think that's the one)

chris pucknell

chris pucknell

Audiophyte
Ok I'll keep scratching my head. Do you have the Yamaha set to straight?(I think that's the one)
Good memory. Yeah i've tried messing around with all of those program settings; straight, bi-curious, BDSM, everything xD still no joy.

U

ultranothing

Enthusiast
Noob here, but for what it's worth:

I know that after messing with the Windows settings with no luck, I've discovered that the specific media players have their own set of calibration settings. VLC, for example, has a ton of options for configuring audio output.

Also, in addition to Windows sound settings, look for such things as Realtek audio settings (if that's what you're pushing from) or, if you're going the HDMI route out of a video card, Nvidia or ATI control panel or some such thing(s).

chris pucknell

chris pucknell

Audiophyte
Okay, i've tried replacing the HDMI lead from the PC -> AVR, I've updated the Nvidia gfx card/HDAudio drivers and 'VIA' mobo audio drivers (asus m5a78l-m) and I have tried out a 5.1 test sound file I found online as an alternative to the windows speaker config test. Still no joy.

The Nvidia control panel redirects me to the windows speaker config.

On the Option->Signal menu on the AV unit under Channel it read 3/2/0.1 which, I gather means it's receiving a 5.1 signal.

I thought perhaps I could try a digitial audio cable, but I would have to buy one.

I've run out of ideas!

chris pucknell

chris pucknell

Audiophyte
No effect! T_T

asio4all... i've heard that before... from ripping dvd's! I think the doom9.org guys use it a lot.

Think I may try formatting next... if i'm getting my hands that dirty might be high time I got myself a goddamn SSD as well ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis