G

greystoke

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>
Thanx hawke! I, for one, would like to lay this 'Paragon question' if not to rest; at least to &nbsp;more serious info. on a speaker that has more questions than answers. I'll try to be objective on sonic description and I hope my photos will satisfy my claim of- Not cheesey construction.
Your's, greystoke</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

greystoke

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>
It will be soon... The cabinetry is almost done and a finish needs to be applied. THEN we'll see inside these Paragon Pups. Another week at the outside. Should be informative.
Greystoke</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

greystoke

Enthusiast
Paragon speaker redux

:eek: Ahh yes...I have been delinquent in my promised post of info inside my Paragons hav'nt I? Well...I have an excuse-I'm freaking lazy! And I moved and I recently bought a new receiver that much to my disgust-had no phono in!
What's up with that?! So a battery operated pre-amp gave me no joy and I scored some older rack mounted Sansui componets-Amp,Tuner, cassette deck
in the Sansui rack along with a pair of Bose 501s and relegated the Paragons and previous stereo to CD and video use upstairs while downstairs I'm rocking with my beloved vinyl! Soon as my old lady leaves me, I'll probably find the time to autopsy those Paragons and post what I find out - if anybody still cares!
Greystoke

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
I do care, i wanna see look of a "white van" speaker inside , if it's the case. Please take some pictures and post them, help the community to identify a possible scam.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, please post. Also...B(l)ose 501s? EWWWW! Those should be called white van speakers, IMHO.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Yamahaluver said:
<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks for the link hawke, I know a friend of mine who got scammed despite my warnings to him. Let us also not forget the infamous DAK catalog and its BSR, dbx scam.</font>
Time out here. I just found this thread, don't know why I missed it earlier.

However,the two brands you mentioned I have.

I still use the BSR EQ3000 in my rack, it is a 2/3 octave graphic equalizer and spectrum analyzer that works (and just as important to some) looks great. It comes with a condenser mic that is used to balance a stereo system, and I've actually used it to fine tune my HT after using the Yamaha YPAO system.

As for the dBX scam, I would not call it a scam. The speakers did have some redeeming quailities like a 15 inch woofer (-6dB at 20Hz) an okay second order crossover, and rather solid construction (for particle board). They are not and never have been considered "Audiophile" speakers, just speakers that would make a good starter system. Even though I still have mine, they're just collecting dust now - replace them with Mirage Omni 7's and Sapphire SB.

Drew Allen Kaplan the DAK of DAK was the Ron Popeil for electronics junk in the 80s. A lot of what he sold was midline at best but he wasn't a scammer. I bought an ADC equalizer from him and it broke after about 1 year, DAK gave me full credit toward the BSR which I still use.

A

AVphile

Audiophyte
If you have REAL Paragon speakers then they would be the very high quality, exotic beauties master crafted by Paragon Acoustics of Minnesota (gone out of business several years ago). The reason none of you have heard of them is because they were a small, true high-end company from the mid-late 90's that didn't survive very long -- because their product was so substantial and underpriced that is was unsustainable in the y2k market.

My opinion is their demise was partly due to their overly heavy construction, hand-built cabinetry, expensive parts compliment (yes Dynaudio and Cardas!), honest but limited marketing, and the influx of imported products and cut-throat pricing in the industry. If you ever lifted a pair you would begin to believe Paragon lost their shirts on shipping fees alone! However I did exchange emails with Shane Tenace, one of the company's ex-owners, who informed me there was a falling-out among his partners and he aquired the remaining stock. I think he still has some parts and pairs of speakers available for sale to this day.

I bought my first pair of Paragon Jubilees in 1998 which retailed for around US$2500. They were a bargain then (even at CAD$3200) and an unbeatable value on today's used market. I don't think there's much under $5k with this build quality and still made in North America! But because they don't have a big name like JM Labs or Wilson it takes me years to sell my extra pair for US$1000... what a shame people never clued in, but it doesn't help with these stupid "white van" stories. I absolutely refuse to pawn off these gems for less than they are worth.

So if you really own Paragons you can rest assured. There should be a plate on the back with the name, model and serial number. If you ever need parts (unlikely as all 4 pairs I have owned were indestructible!) you can always look up Shane Tenace, Dynaudio, or even Cardas - they will remember Paragon since they actually have a pair of Regents in house and still make the parts (like their awesome binding posts and internal wiring).

Aside from a few owner anecdotes, here is the only legitimate source of Paragon info I have ever found on the Net:

http://www.audiomn.org/Newsletters/1995/asmFeb95.pdf

It details their products, internal construction, facility locations, and key players (at the time) by name. There is a pic of the Regent and I have many pics of the Jubilee & JEM including original glossy brochure with technical specs and owners manual.

Stefan

G

greystoke

Enthusiast
greystoke said:
<font color='#000000'>Thanx people for the info on &quot;Paragon&quot; speakers. I'm a little confused still because of the negative remarks that the particular pair I have don't exhibit at all. They're covered with that Fender 80's-90's 'M80' grey felt , about 4' tall,2- 8&quot; speakers 1 above the other in the middle, a louvered tweeter/horn? above and a bass port below w/grills on 8&quot; speakers and a suspect/cheap glued on Paragon logo. Probaly 1x1' front to back. I should have checked speaker brand when retrieving toys that my son inserted in port before I raised them outa reach. I did'nt pay much for them and to these admittedly jaded ears, they sound great!
Now... I've got a pair of GBL's-Just kidding!
Rick P. from B.C.</font>
Long time no participation on my part....old query kinda answered - One of my 'vaunted' Paragons went 'buzz-pop' and I finally got inside after checking amp; and low and behold: a "Made in China" sticker appears on 1 of the 2 woofers! The capacitor before the tweeter[In what appears to my eyes a very simple wiring layout] was blown. Happily, a older retired Dude who handled a lot of repair work in my small town has buckets of diodes,Caps. etc. & was able to match me up a couple. My main set-up has Bose 501's[LPs,tape] but I still use the Paragons for Home theater and C.D.s and You know what?...They really do sound great still for the high end of things with adequate bottom for the use mentioned. At least the Paragon label [glued on] has'nt fallen off!!
Greystoke
P.S. Happy New Year!

G

greystoke

Enthusiast
Paragon Redux!?

Hi everyone....long time - no participation on my part.
Well, I kinda answered recently a long ago query about my 'vaunted' Paragon loudspeakers. The other day one went buzz/pop/zip and after checking amp I dissected the culprit and discovered that a hi-pass capacitor to the tweeter was in 2 pieces, a [to my eyes] very simple wiring design and GASP! a 'Made in China' sticker on 1 of the 2 woofers! Okay, maybe it was a RED van! Anyway, a retired fix-it man I know had buckets of caps/diodes/resisters and such and was able to match me up. I use Bose 501s for my L.P.s & tapes on a old sansui system but still use the Paragons for home theater and c.d. - and you know what? - they still sound great for the high end repro and still have good bottom. All in all I got what I paid for and as a bonus ,the 'Paragon" labels are still as good as the day they were glued on!
Your's, Greystoke [and a Happy New Year to everyone and theirs]
P.S. Got a New iMac and want to start archiving some L.P.s to C.D. - Anyone with experience in that?

freichel

Audiophyte
Paragon Accoutsics Question.

Does anyone have Paragon Jubilee/JEM photos and specs?
thx
AVphile said:
If you have REAL Paragon speakers then they would be the very high quality, exotic beauties master crafted by Paragon Acoustics of Minnesota (gone out of business several years ago). The reason none of you have heard of them is because they were a small, true high-end company from the mid-late 90's that didn't survive very long -- because their product was so substantial and underpriced that is was unsustainable in the y2k market.

My opinion is their demise was partly due to their overly heavy construction, hand-built cabinetry, expensive parts compliment (yes Dynaudio and Cardas!), honest but limited marketing, and the influx of imported products and cut-throat pricing in the industry. If you ever lifted a pair you would begin to believe Paragon lost their shirts on shipping fees alone! However I did exchange emails with Shane Tenace, one of the company's ex-owners, who informed me there was a falling-out among his partners and he aquired the remaining stock. I think he still has some parts and pairs of speakers available for sale to this day.

I bought my first pair of Paragon Jubilees in 1998 which retailed for around US$2500. They were a bargain then (even at CAD$3200) and an unbeatable value on today's used market. I don't think there's much under $5k with this build quality and still made in North America! But because they don't have a big name like JM Labs or Wilson it takes me years to sell my extra pair for US$1000... what a shame people never clued in, but it doesn't help with these stupid "white van" stories. I absolutely refuse to pawn off these gems for less than they are worth.

So if you really own Paragons you can rest assured. There should be a plate on the back with the name, model and serial number. If you ever need parts (unlikely as all 4 pairs I have owned were indestructible!) you can always look up Shane Tenace, Dynaudio, or even Cardas - they will remember Paragon since they actually have a pair of Regents in house and still make the parts (like their awesome binding posts and internal wiring).

Aside from a few owner anecdotes, here is the only legitimate source of Paragon info I have ever found on the Net:

http://www.audiomn.org/Newsletters/1995/asmFeb95.pdf

It details their products, internal construction, facility locations, and key players (at the time) by name. There is a pic of the Regent and I have many pics of the Jubilee & JEM including original glossy brochure with technical specs and owners manual.

Stefan

G

greghojo

Audiophyte
Paragon Jubilee/JEM

I know this thread is ancient, but I have recentley acquired a set of these speakers and am having a real hard time finding an amp that can drive these things at a reasonable price. I know these aren't designed for a theater setup but I don't have the luxury of a separate audio room just yet. Can anyone recommend a safe setup that would incorporate these speakers as part of a temporary theater system. I've been advised by the previous owner that they demand at a minimum 200 watts. Any experience with these would be greatly appreciated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis