Lord of the Rings Blu-ray: I Want My Extended Editions!

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I watched enthralled at the movie theatre as my fav books of all time unflolded and came to life in front of me on the big screen............I was amazed at how close they followed the first book. I even forgave Pete when it wasn't Glorfindel, elven lord, that showed up to succor the hobbits at the Ford of Bruinen from the Nazgul-Arwen Evenstar (Liv Tyler) was a pretty hot chick and I thought it was a nice touch. Same time next year I am watching the second movie.......and it starts deviating from the plot big time I sat stunned. At one point I booed (when Aragorn is knocked off the cliff by an orc and everyone thinks he's dead.....(as IF!), or how about when the troop of elves! show up at Helm's Deep.....the only elves that showed up were Elrond's Son's along with 30 rangers, close kin of Aragorn.......) I could go on but I can't even watch the movies. I've tried. The characteres and scenery are so wonderful.......it's just a shame that the plot was butchered so greatly. I understand there is logistics and editing and cost to consider in any movie and that books can describe in much greater detail than a movie can. Still, the plot deviations I mentioned didn't make any logical sense. As if Pete Jackson could improve upon Professor Tolkien's story??!!!!
Just my 2 cents......... Hopefully the Hobbit can keep to the story somewhat.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
I'm sure it will come to pass. Studios may be dumb but they know there is demand for these films on BD. It is possible the the release will be pushed back to coincide with The Hobbit opening in theaters.

Jim
It will definitely come to pass, but what I meant was let's hope that it being released earlier than originally suggested comes to pass.

It was originally expected to arrive with The Hobbit in cinemas, this suggests we'll get it next year which is substantially ahead.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I watched enthralled at the movie theatre as my fav books of all time unflolded and came to life in front of me on the big screen............I was amazed at how close they followed the first book. I even forgave Pete when it wasn't Glorfindel, elven lord, that showed up to succor the hobbits at the Ford of Bruinen from the Nazgul-Arwen Evenstar (Liv Tyler) was a pretty hot chick and I thought it was a nice touch. Same time next year I am watching the second movie.......and it starts deviating from the plot big time I sat stunned. At one point I booed (when Aragorn is knocked off the cliff by an orc and everyone thinks he's dead.....(as IF!), or how about when the troop of elves! show up at Helm's Deep.....the only elves that showed up were Elrond's Son's along with 30 rangers, close kin of Aragorn.......) I could go on but I can't even watch the movies. I've tried. The characteres and scenery are so wonderful.......it's just a shame that the plot was butchered so greatly. I understand there is logistics and editing and cost to consider in any movie and that books can describe in much greater detail than a movie can. Still, the plot deviations I mentioned didn't make any logical sense. As if Pete Jackson could improve upon Professor Tolkien's story??!!!!
Just my 2 cents......... Hopefully the Hobbit can keep to the story somewhat.
As a life-long fan of The Lord of the Rings, I was a little disappointed with the movies. But I thought that overall they did a decent job. One thing that really bugged me about the first movie was how they changed the end. Why the hell did they change it to Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas watching Frodo sail away, with that, "Frodo must follow his own path" crap?!?!? The ending of the book was much better.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The end of the first movie bugged me more than anything IMO, but there were a lot of things that were not just changed, but actually did not even happen. There were some items that they say came from the archives, which I have not read, but I still don't see how they felt those things were significant enough to add to the movies while they were changing things around so much? Despite the errors, I still liked the movies.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
DELAYED.

A number of sites have confirmed this. If that means, as suggested here, that they will instead just release the EEs, then that delay is perfectly fine with me.

Two days ago we broke the news, and now it is confirmed: the Blu-ray release of 'The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy' is delayed to 2010. Studio and industry sources have informed our friends at The Digital Bits that the BD trilogy is no longer on the 2009 schedule, and is now tentatively slated for early 2010 (probably March).

No official confirmation of the delay is to be expected, as the title was never officially announced in the first place.

No official reason for the delay was given either, although The Bits believes that Warner Home Video "didn't want Rings to get lost in the crowd", considering that the studio "already has a number of big 3rd and 4th quarter titles coming on Blu-ray this year" (such as 'The Wizard of Oz', 'Gone with the Wind' and 'North by Northwest'). 'Lord of the Rings' fans are already replying that it is likelier that those classic movies would be the ones to get lost in the crowd if released at the same time as the Tolkien trilogy filmed by Peter Jackson.

There is no information as to whether the delay will entail any change in release details, or whether the studio will use the additional months to include the extended versions of the movies in the Blu-ray release, as demanded by numerous enthusiasts here and elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
The only use I could see for the Theatrical release is to watch them with my parents or something. As curious as he might be about them... my dad is damned sure not going to spend serious time watching fantasy.
In that case, I bet the usual DVD will suffice for him.;):D as he may not even finish one disc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis