Looking to upgrade A/V receiver, but…

jpmays

jpmays

Audiophyte
:confused: Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie to this forum, and also my knowledge of A/V issues is very limited at best, so I'm hoping one or more of you audiophiles can answer a question or two I have regarding upgrading my current HT receiver.

I currently have an HTIB (Home Theater in a Box) set up; a "Sony HT-SS2300 Blu-Ray Home Theater System", that provides A/V for a VIZIO Smart HDTV, LG Blu-Ray Player, and DirecTV HD DVR. I've had this system for about six years, but I'm looking to start upgrading my various components, starting with my receiver.

I'm considering purchasing either the "Sony STS-DN840 A/V Receiver (w/built-in Wi-Fi, airplay, & Bluetooth)", mainly because of the streamlined remote control, or the "Sony STS-DN1040 A/V Receiver (w/built-in Wi-Fi, airplay, & Bluetooth)", which is last year's model and about $150 cheaper and has seven HDMI outputs but the remote is not as streamlined, and is more complicated than the STS-DN840.

At any rate, my questions are of this:

1. Are any of you familiar with one or both of these systems, and if so what do you like/dislike about them?

2. Because my current A/V receiver is a Sony, but I be able to simply use my current speakers, which are a 5.1 surround sound, by unplugging from this receiver and plugging them into the new one, or will I need to replace the connectors and/or wiring in order to utilize my existing speakers?

Any additional hints, tips and/or suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

HAPPY LISTENING,
/jp/

S

scott210

Audiophyte
Hey JP - connectors for those speakers might pose a problem. My Samsung speakers to Sony AV rec I had to buy new connectors.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Looking at the back of that receiver, it looks like Sony uses proprietary plugs on the ends of their speaker wires, including the wires for the passive bass module. If you insist on keeping your existing HTIB speakers for now, you could probably snip the plugs off the ends of the speaker wires and feed the bare stripped wires into the binding posts on an aftermarket receiver I guess. I dunno. Do your speakers have spring clips in the back? If so, I guess you could use different speaker wire without having to destroy your current speaker wires or usability for the next owner of your receiver. You won't be able to recycle that bass module, though. You're going to need a new powered subwoofer regardless.

If I were you, I'd probably leave the plugs intact and include the speakers with the receiver on a Craigslist listing. It'll be easier to make it someone else's problem if you sell it as a complete set, basically.

Given that you're looking to upgrade a little at a time, I get the impression that a low budget is a concern. If your budget is severely limited, you could just start over with a refurb Denon AVR-E300, L/C/R speakers of your choice, and perhaps an economical sub. Depending on the LCR you choose, you might just be able to do all this for < $600. You can add surround speakers later when budget allows.

The great thing about that Denon AVR and higher level models is Audyssey room correction, Dynamic Volume, and Dynamic EQ features. Science.

If you're looking for a simple remote control, I recommend getting a Logitech Harmony remote of some sort. You program it through a PC, and a single remote will operate your AVR, Blu-Ray player, TV, and your DirecTV DVR. For example, a single button press powers on the TV, AVR, and Blu-Ray player, then sets the TV and AVR to the appropriate inputs without your having to think about it. All you do is press the button for "Watch a Blu-Ray". If you've been watching a Blu-Ray and want to switch to the DirecTV box, pressing the button for "Watch TV" powers off the Blu-Ray player, pulls the tuner out of standby, leaves the TV and AVR powered on, and flips the AVR and / or TV to the appropriate input. Pressing the power button on the remote powers all the devices off. I say all that to say, ruling out an AVR by the complexity of its remote is probably not the best way to shop for an AVR.

What is your budget for your upgrades? Can you describe the room you're upgrading? What are the room's dimensions?

Last edited:
XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
+1 on Rojo's recommendation for the Harmony remote.

If you are looking to upgrade, don't start with the receiver (end with it)--focus on speakers, replacing the HTiB speakers and/or sub will provide the largest improvement to your system's sound! Even inexpensive, but decent quality, speakers will make a huge difference.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Unfortunately, I don't think he'll be able to upgrade the speakers without getting a different receiver -- one with actual binding posts, rather than those weird proprietary plug sockets. It doesn't appear that Sony ever intended for anyone to upgrade any component of that HTIB. That receiver he has doesn't even appear to have an RCA Sub / LFE output.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
It would make things simple if you would give a max budget to begin with - then a receiver and
a pair of nice bookshelf speakers, will be much better than what you have now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis