Looking to purchase new L/C/R

P

pote8218

Audioholic Intern
Hello all. I am going to be moving into a new house and I am setting up a media room. I have a budget of 5-8k for the speakers. I am going to be in the Michigan area in a few weeks so I plan on demoing Salk speakers. I contacted Jim and he is very helpful and recommended the Song3 Beats.

Are there any other speakers I should demo? I live in Tulsa, OK. So I do not have a lot store options.

What is beat way to demo speakers? Bring music that I currently listen to a lot?

I am also looking at purchasing an amp for the L C R. I will only be using the other speakers for movies. I was wondering what amp people what people would recommend. Ive briefly looked at Outlaw model 2220 x3 or their 7 channel amp, the Emotiva XPA 3 and the Monolith 3 channel. Not really sure the difference between them, similiarish price. I would be open to any amp not just these but around the same price.

Room is 15x20x10 ~3000 cuft

70/30 Music/movies

Current equipment:
Denon 4500
Hsu VTF 15hx2
Infinity primus P363 towers, center and surrounds.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
What would you like the $5-$8k to buy?

2 speakers?
3 speakers?
5 speakers?
7 speakers?
Speakers, and Sub?
Speakers, Sub and Amp?

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Try out Revel and Kef. Both are staples in most dealers.

If it’s not an ID company like Salk, make sure you’re not paying full retail.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How important is the furniture aspect of the speakers' finish? Maybe think about a detour to Wisconsin for JTR?

P

pote8218

Audioholic Intern
How important is the furniture aspect of the speakers' finish? Maybe think about a detour to Wisconsin for JTR?
I am going to be visiting some family. Well I dont matter what they look like but my wife might have an opinion.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
JBL HDi 3800 ( I haven't heard these, but they are getting some good reviews)

Last edited:
T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
You'd still have enough money left over to buy an amp................

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
And these were just reviewed by Audioholics. Again I haven't heard these myself, but they would be in my list

Skip on the Center for now

Legacy Signature SE

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I live in Tulsa, OK
I’ve lived in OK for 41 years, and I‘ve visited Tulsa only twice. :D

I would audition as many speakers as possible. Try your best to listen to the same volume.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
You should look at Triad Silver Monitors. They feature Scan=Speak audiophile drivers, and are hand built right here in the US.

Quick background on Triad:

Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls.

Triad has In-Wall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for spaces in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company has speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker. While not a household name, Triad is a favorite of custom installers and has won numerous industry awards. The company is also a prototype partner for Dolby, helping to design speaker systems for immersive audio. Most recently, Triad Monitors won best of Show at this past CEDIA Expo.

Let me know if you have any questions.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Hello all. I am going to be moving into a new house and I am setting up a media room. I have a budget of 5-8k for the speakers. I am going to be in the Michigan area in a few weeks so I plan on demoing Salk speakers. I contacted Jim and he is very helpful and recommended the Song3 Beats.

Are there any other speakers I should demo? I live in Tulsa, OK. So I do not have a lot store options.

What is beat way to demo speakers? Bring music that I currently listen to a lot?

I am also looking at purchasing an amp for the L C R. I will only be using the other speakers for movies. I was wondering what amp people what people would recommend. Ive briefly looked at Outlaw model 2220 x3 or their 7 channel amp, the Emotiva XPA 3 and the Monolith 3 channel. Not really sure the difference between them, similiarish price. I would be open to any amp not just these but around the same price.
Before looking at amps, I'd suggest running them off your AVR first to see if you're happy with them. When I auditioned Song 3's, they were run off a receiver.

As far as how to demo a speaker I suggest bringing music you're familiar with. If you listen to a lot of genres, try to get a representative sample of all of them, as well as a mix of male and female vocals. You've got a solid sub, so don't worry too much about bass heavy tracks (unless you just want to see what the speakers are capable of).

Do you have any store options near you? If so, what do they carry?

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
What about used high-end speakers ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Used can definitely be a good way to go....let someone else take the depreciation hit.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Used can definitely be a good way to go....let someone else take the depreciation hit.
Yeah reminds me of the time when I bought brand new speakers - Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, Linkwitz Orion-3, Philharmonic-3, KEF 201/2, and other speakers and sold them all for a huge lost. :(

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis