Looking to purchase a new sub 2k budget. HSU, SVS, PSA

P

pote8218

Audioholic Intern
I'm in the market looking for a new subwoofer. I have very large open space 6000-7000 ft^3. I was thinking about the following, but I'm open to any suggestions. 60/40 Movies, music

2 VTF-15hs 1995 Shipped
2 PSA xs-30 2183 Shipped (kind of hard to find reviews)
1 Funk 18.1 2154 Shipped. (7-9 weeks delivery time, kind of bummer since I travel a lot and could miss it being there)

Please let me know any preferences you have about the subs, or any new ones I should look at.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
First, I am pretty confident you could request Funk to contact you when your sub is complete to make shipping arrangements to fit your schedule.

Second, have you had a sub in that room before? Since one of you choices is whether to have one or two subs, it would be useful to know how well behaved bass is in this room.

What speakers do you have? I ask because if they are full range speakers, and you run them full range, they will help even out bass in the room.

Will you be using Audyssey or something similar?

These subs do have different controls and features which may matter if you tell us how you plan to crossover and manage the bass.

Also, did you mean to include an SVS sub among your options?

P

pote8218

Audioholic Intern
I'm running an Audyssey MultiEQ XT, currently there is just a single VTF-2 in there. Speakers My fronts are a Infinity P363, and an PC351. Which I'll probably be upgrading in the next couple of months, moving like into a bedroom or something. The crossover right now is set to 80 with the speakers on small. Yes, still reading reviews and looking at graphs on the SVS was looking into dual PB-12 ultras, but those are around 2600. I could go up to that if it would be a dramatic difference.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Hey Pote, I have a buddy with a huge space as well. I would guess that his is larger- more like 10k cubic ft. He bought a single VTF 15H that ended up being more than enough for his needs. You might try one of the large subs tha you're looking at and see how it works out for you. Pressurizing a space that large may prove difficult, so why not try one for starters and see how you like it.
cheers, Mac

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
Hey Pote, I have a buddy with a huge space as well. I would guess that his is larger- more like 10k cubic ft. He bought a single VTF 15H that ended up being more than enough for his needs. You might try one of the large subs tha you're looking at and see how it works out for you. Pressurizing a space that large may prove difficult, so why not try one for starters and see how you like it.
cheers, Mac
i would have to strongly agree. getting the subsonic lows with a large sub will get you there. but, since most music occurs north of 25hz, it can get overkill really quick if you start doubling up. you do watch more movies than music, so... kinda of a judgment call there for how deep you want your sub to dig and etc.
listening proximity (how close you are to the sub) is also a factor, going to two units can help fill out the sound within the large space while giving you room for more bass, because that is what usually happens... we all want more, more, MORE!!
Funk Audio is way up there in sound quality and has a tendency to image really well and blend into existing systems with very little effort. the powered units have tons of dynamic headroom which does help with the overall execution of source material. with funk you are buying a piece of art that can throw-down and make you feel violated. the new remote dsp setup service they are working on can make your sub perfect no matter what room or layout you have going on.
HSU is really good. excellent reviews, and top notch service (says the reviews). i dont have any experience with them so i can't speak first hand, but i did read that at extreme levels one guy reported some port noise... but that was running one sub half to death. they sound like a really ballsy sub with lots of grit. the advantage of dual subs is that there is lots of change left over, you can always pour more on when you want to unleash the beasts. the drawback is that you have lots of real-estate invested, and set-up can get challenging if you let it.
I am have a strong opinion of svs and its hard not to voice it without sounding like a knob, so I'll just keep my mouth shut on that one.

What I would do: contact all the manufacturers you are interested in and give them the scenario (room size, existing system, listening habits, etc) and ask what they would recommend, then go with your gut.

good luck and may your life be rich and full.... of bass. :)

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
Either dual Rythmik 15's or dual Hsu VTF-15 subs would be my vote. I would take either of those over the single Funk sub, as dual subs will smooth out bass response in such a large room. I have a large room and went from a single big sub to four smaller but capable subs and there is a massive difference in response in my room now. With such a large room and your budget, I would stay ported if I could (that means larger box).

If you have any DIY skills, you could probably double the performance of either of the Hsu or Rythmik subs for $2K. Four SI18 drivers (about $200) apiece, two EP4000 amps ($600) all built into four sealed 4 cu ft boxes should come in under $2K. Just a thought :)

For $1K I was able to build four sealed subs that surpasses two VTF-15H subs (I own a VTF-15H). I would most likely need three VTF-15H's to equal the performance I am getting from four $1K subs.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I'm in the market looking for a new subwoofer. I have very large open space 6000-7000 ft^3. I was thinking about the following, but I'm open to any suggestions. 60/40 Movies, music

2 VTF-15hs 1995 Shipped
2 PSA xs-30 2183 Shipped (kind of hard to find reviews)
1 Funk 18.1 2154 Shipped. (7-9 weeks delivery time, kind of bummer since I travel a lot and could miss it being there)

Please let me know any preferences you have about the subs, or any new ones I should look at.

Room modes are very important when considering subs, even with EQ'ing systems such as your Audyssey. Multiple subs will generally help to subdue them, so my suggestion would absolutely be two (or more) subs. My room is the size of yours and I have run 2 Hsu VTF-3's and now 2 SVS PB12-Plusses. Both of these pairs, alone, provided enough bass to satisfy my cravings for a good HT or musical experience. However, they may not pressurize the room as much as you may like. I've had 3 subs hooked up here, and liked the result very much. (I'll add a third sub if and when the funds allow.)

I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices, though I would add SVS into the mix. Just get multiple subs. And if WAF is a concern, compact size and nicely appointed veneer might be appropriate. :D

jinjuku

jinjuku

And you can tell your friends and family: Behold - 18inches of SLAM!...and don't forget, I've got two of them ;)
The OP can do their own due diligence. The CHT subs are very good for the $$ that they cost. Their verbiage is no worse or better than say Emotiva or many of the other brands being listed (well excepting Rythmik, they tend to keep it real);)

The OP is asking for alternatives.

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
i forgot about CHT, they are apparently nice for the money.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I'd recommend going with dual subs for even bass and ported subs for higher output (compared to same driver size in sealed box).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My preference is the Funk 18.0 TSAD unpowered for $2050 delivered. You can always add another F18.0 in a year. :D

jinjuku

jinjuku

There are two HSU VTF-MK3's in the Classifieds. If the OP is near Connecticut.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis