Looking to buy 2.1 system for my living room.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
However, general TV audio, at times, can just sound odd. It feels like the balancing isn't right...I turned Dynamic Compression to Medium, seems to help it seem warmer and more natural.
Input Source I put Sat/ Cable,
Output Source I have it set to TV, ect.

Not much I can really change.

Also, one annoying thing is when I go to watch a show on Demand, suddenly I get a no signal thing and have to press exit and keep retrying and randomly it will work.

Maybe I should connect the Cable Box directly to the TV instead?
So in general, the sound is pretty good except for cable? TV and movies
can be different and more on the artificial side. Also, now you are hearing
more along the dynamic-swing side.

How is the cable box connected to the receiver > HDMI, or digital plus
componet video. Are you sending video straight to TV, and audio to
the receiver?

While the Denon 13XX receiver is decent - the 16XX is an all around nice
step up.

M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
So in general, the sound is pretty good except for cable? TV and movies
can be different and more on the artificial side. Also, now you are hearing
more along the dynamic-swing side.

How is the cable box connected to the receiver > HDMI, or digital plus
componet video. Are you sending video straight to TV, and audio to
the receiver?

While the Denon 13XX receiver is decent - the 16XX is an all around nice
step up.

Er, HDMI.

I have a HDMI Cable Box from Comcast.

I have it connected to the Receiver, then the Receiver connected to the TV.

As for sending video straight to TV? Not sure what you mean...audio as well, confuses me the way you put it. In the "Input & Output" section of the GUI, I have Sat / Cable selected for Input and Output is TV, I believe.

Well, I got the 1312 on the cheap...as was suggested in this thread. 150$ for it seemed like a Stellar price and it fit my needs.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Er, HDMI.
I have a HDMI Cable Box from Comcast.
I have it connected to the Receiver, then the Receiver connected to the TV.
As for sending video straight to TV? Not sure what you mean...audio as well, confuses me the way you put it.
Well, I got the 1312 on the cheap...as was suggested in this thread. 150$ for it seemed like a Stellar price and it fit my needs.
If you are hooked up via HDMI - then forget my other hook-up questions.
They were for non HDMI hook up, if you were not using HDMI.

You have a nice budget system - good luck.:)

Last edited:
M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
If you are hooked up via HDMI - then forget my other hook-up questions.
They were for non HDMI hook up, if you were not using HDMI.

You have a nice budget system - good luck.:)
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

No one told me I need more than one Subwoofer Cable thing!

For only $3.26 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6ft High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer & Composite Video) | High Quality RG6 Digital Audio 24K Gold-Plated Cables w/ Fancy Connector

You only posted it and I thought that meant I only needed one!

From what I can see, I need two! Which means this damn thing is useless until next Monday if I order from Monoprice today.

This is what it looks like...

It seems I need two of these Subwoofer cables from what I can tell, but no one told me that when I told them I was buying one...argh.

M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
Why would you need two subwoofer cables?
Well that's how it appears to be, I've never hooked up a subwoofer cable.

But this thing has two. Now, I thought, maybe it means which side i put it on or something, I'm not sure...

Then there is all these connections for Speakers I see back there, no idea.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
What thing has two what?

Are you talking about the subwoofer itself?

Geez man. I swear you're allergic to manuals.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well that's how it appears to be, I've never hooked up a subwoofer cable.

But this thing has two. Now, I thought, maybe it means which side i put it on or something, I'm not sure...

Then there is all these connections for Speakers I see back there, no idea.
Go from the sub-out on the receiver, to the L (white) on the sub.You
can always go to RadioShack and get a Y adapter, if you want to.

M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
What thing has two what?

Are you talking about the subwoofer itself?

Geez man. I swear you're allergic to manuals.
Didn't come with a manual. I'm asking here because of that.

I posted a picture above. Check it.

And the "L"? I plan to put the Subwoofer on my right, more space for it there. So would I connect it to right?

Should I set my front Speakers to "Small" now? I hear you should do that when you have a Subwoofer. Also, like settings for the LFE Frequency, what should I put and such things? Ect. I really wish I had that Auddessy thing now :p

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja

And the "L"? I plan to put the Subwoofer on my right, more space for it there. So would I connect it to right?

Should I set my front Speakers to "Small" now? I hear you should do that when you have a Subwoofer. Also, like settings for the LFE Frequency, what should I put and such things? Ect. I really wish I had that Auddessy thing now :p
http://velodyne.com/pdf/vx-11/vx-11_manual_revb.pdf

Page 2.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Plug it into the L (white), no matter where you place the sub. I would still go
to the RadioShack, for a Y adapter later.

P

puckhead

Audioholic Intern

Doesn't matter where you place the sub -- just connect the sub cable to the L (LFE in - white) RCA jack on the back of the sub and your sub out RCA jack on the AVR.

Yes, you will set your other speakers to "small". And while you're making these settings in your AVR, set your crossover to 80Hz (at least as a starting point).

On your sub you'll want to turn the "Low pass Frequency" all the way up to 200Hz since you'll be controlling the crossover through your AVR. You'll also need to adjust the subwoofer volume knob -- maybe start with it at 12 o'clock (1/2 way). And the phase toggle should be set to 0 (for starters).

M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
Doesn't matter where you place the sub -- just connect the sub cable to the L (LFE in - white) RCA jack on the back of the sub and your sub out RCA jack on the AVR.

Yes, you will set your other speakers to "small". And while you're making these settings in your AVR, set your crossover to 80Hz (at least as a starting point).

On your sub you'll want to turn the "Low pass Frequency" all the way up to 200Hz since you'll be controlling the crossover through your AVR. You'll also need to adjust the subwoofer volume knob -- maybe start with it at 12 o'clock (1/2 way). And the phase toggle should be set to 0 (for starters).
Gotcha, thanks.

Been listening to it for abit now, plugged into the "R" lol, and wow, it booms more than I'd like. My chair was vibrating a little. Got to adjust this.

M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
That's why you need calibration.
Ok, put it in the "L"

Set it to 200HZ on the Subwoofer itself.

Set it to Half-way Volume wise.

On my TV, set Speakers to "small"

Subwoofer is "on"

Picture of setup at current:

Boston Front Left & Right speakers are set to 80hz, as is the Subwoofer. I have Dynamic Compression set to "mid"

Question though, there is a setting

"SW Mode" I assume, Subwoofer Mode, it says

LFE + Main or just LFE, which should I select?

Thanks.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Boston Front Left & Right speakers are set to 80hz, as is the Subwoofer. I have Dynamic Compression set to "mid"

Question though, there is a setting

"SW Mode" I assume, Subwoofer Mode, it says

LFE + Main or just LFE, which should I select?

Thanks.
I would set it to LFE, and is there room, to move the left speaker
more to the left?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

No one told me I need more than one Subwoofer Cable thing!
This why I told you to read those articles they are short and get to the point. you only need one cable. As the others have said. Remember the woofer is only one speaker. You really don't need the splitter, but If you want one order it later when you order your other stuff. I don't have one on mine and it sounds great for both Music/Home theater.

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Dynamic compression is only for nighttime listening. Otherwise it just neuters the peaks in movie soundtracks. I would turn it OFF for best fidelity.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
It's also great for those of us living in apartments!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis