Looking for suggestions on wall mounting EMPTek E56Ci Center Channel

L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic
Title pretty much sums it up. Looking for suggestions on the best way to wall mount this beast above my new TV. I suppose I could just use a simple shelf, but then what's the best way to get it to angle downward slightly? Aurelax pads, something else?

Taking all input just in-case anyone knows any particularly awesome mounting methods/hardware that would work better for what I am trying to achieve.

For reference, the speaker is 31" W x 8½" H x 10½" D and weighs 28 lbs.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Is the TV free standing or wall mounted? Do you have at least 10.5" between the TV and the wall?

There's always one of these. If you go with just a standard shelf, which would probably be the cheapest, then the auralex pads would work nicely.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Is the TV free standing or wall mounted? Do you have at least 10.5" between the TV and the wall?

There's always one of these. If you go with just a standard shelf, which would probably be the cheapest, then the auralex pads would work nicely.
The E56ci is overweight for that, and even if it weren't I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be putting the weight of that beast onto the top of the TV.

A simple shelf with an auralex pad would probably do you just fine. Alternately simple rubber pads used to raise the back could be used.

The only thing to keep in mind is that you'll be sacrificing a little bit of sound quality having it so close to the wall.

L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic
The TV is free standing (I have some leeway with how far I can move it from the wall, but not a ton) and unfortunately I have no other option but mounting the center above it, even if it sacrifices some sound quality. My room is extremely small (something like 9' x 11') and packed to the hilt as it is with all the gear I have in there. Agreed with Grador that I don't want the center sitting directly on the TV as I think it's much too heavy for that.

One of the concerns I have about just using a shelf with the Auralex pads is keeping it from flying forward off the shelf in the event of an earthquake while also not blocking the front of the speaker.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The E56ci is overweight for that, and even if it weren't I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be putting the weight of that beast onto the top of the TV.

A simple shelf with an auralex pad would probably do you just fine. Alternately simple rubber pads used to raise the back could be used.

The only thing to keep in mind is that you'll be sacrificing a little bit of sound quality having it so close to the wall.
Only by 3 lbs, besides theres this one as well Center Stage 30x6 TV Mounting Platform for Soundbars and Center Channel Speakers CSB-3006-BLK. It was just an alternative to a shelf since he asked for some.

Also, you can simply e-mail emptek and ask them for port plugs and they should be able to provide them.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
The TV is free standing (I have some leeway with how far I can move it from the wall, but not a ton) and unfortunately I have no other option but mounting the center above it, even if it sacrifices some sound quality. My room is extremely small (something like 9' x 11') and packed to the hilt as it is with all the gear I have in there. Agreed with Grador that I don't want the center sitting directly on the TV as I think it's much too heavy for that.
So I'm not the only one who's shoved a pair of E55Tis into a room that's far far to small. I decided not to get the matching center since i'd have to put it above the TV as well and didn't really want to add a shelf.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
How about a short pedestal with with three sides and a top?

-or-

Those shelves fuzz linked could easily be anchored to the wall wit a small extension and a cleat. Then you couldn't knock the TV over. I

L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic
Just cut a hole in the wall to let them breath. :D
I would, but I'm not sure how my roommate would feel about the back of my speaker sticking out dead center in his closet...

So I'm not the only one who's shoved a pair of E55Tis into a room that's far far to small. I decided not to get the matching center since i'd have to put it above the TV as well and didn't really want to add a shelf.
Definitely not my friend. It's actually pretty ridiculous how my room is setup right now. Everything I have is waaay too big for such a small space, including myself, but I think I've done ok considering all my constraints. One of these days when I actually dust and clean up a little bit I'll take some pictures so everyone can have a good laugh.

I wasn't going to buy the center either, but I decided to go ahead and grab it during the BF sale last year and it has been sitting in the box ever since. I would've practically lost money not buying, or at least that's what I was telling myself at the time :)

Right now I'm leaning towards maybe trying to make something using the VESA wall mounts on the TV, but I need to think about it some more.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Good god. I bet those e55's can blare in that room size! They can get crazy loud without distortion in my room that's 20x20x10'

L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic
I really like the look of the shelf you linked, but I think I actually have all the components for the track mount to the VESA holes already, so I'll probably at least look into that. Although I do agree with some of the posts in the thread you linked questioning the stability of the TV and what negative impact it might have on the TV stand as far as leaning etc. Decisions, decisions.

L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic
Good god. I bet those e55's can blare in that room size! They can get crazy loud without distortion in my room that's 20x20x10'
They can get pretty loud yes, but that's not stopping me from looking into amps :D

How are you enjoying them by the way?

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
I'm really enjoying them so far. I've recently found a little resonance/vibration issue with the terminal cup, but I'm sure I can fix that up no problem. I think they could use a little bracing in the lower portion w/ the three 6.5's. It's not very apparent they need it, but I'm picky and like to see if I can make it even better. I've got a lot of materials left from SoundDeadenerShowdow from when I did my car so I might see if I can deaden the inside a little. I think adding bracing is pretty much impossible after they're put together.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis