Looking for stereo separates that accept HDMI

P

panzeroceania

Junior Audioholic
Hello, I'm looking for Mono or Stereo separates (Line Stage/ Preamp + Power Amp)

where the Line Stage/Preamp accepts HDMI. The cheaper the better, but they only have to be capable of stereo, and be separates. A matching pair (same manufacturer) would be nice, but not necessary.

It seem like a lot of people make amps, but not as many preamps. Let me know what's available.

Thanks

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
With confidence and authority I can tell you there NO such products
There are NO reasons for STEREO only pre-pro to have hdmi inputs

There are several multi-channel pre-pro's which do include hdmi inputs
Integra, Emotiva, Marantz, Denon etc..

What all said - In 99% of cases you'd be better off served by a regular off shelf surround receiver - like from Harman Kardon - they do include very robust amp sections
Same goes for Onkyo, but you'll need to make sure it's sufficiently cooled (aka not enclosed in a box and have at least 4-5 inches of room above it)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've never heard such an animal either - stereo separate w/ HDMI.

I've never even seen a stereo RECEIVER w/ HDMI.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
You're making this problem too difficult, IMO. Why does the solution have to be only two channel? I'd get an AV preprocessor, like from Emotiva or Outlaw, use only two of the seven channels, and then get a separate phono pre-amp, like the Rolls VP29 to drive the turntable output to line level for input into the pre/pro.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
me either, can the OP tells us why he wants a 2channel pre with HDMI .
Most guys who want a 2Ch only separates are ANALOG guys who think that analog is better than digital.

So a 2Ch only separate DIGITAL is really different. :D

They do make HDMI-to-RCA converters. But that makes no sense b/c it would worsen SNR/ THD/ Crosstalk/ FR. :D

Yeah, just get a Pre-pro or AVR and listen to 2.1 mode like the rest of us mortals. :D

Last edited:
J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm wondering if the OP wouldn't be best served by a hdmi switcher if they really insist on a stereo preamp.
That would just increase noise/THD by adding another chain. :D

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
That would just increase noise/THD by adding another chain. :D
Agreed, it's not what I would do. Then again, I wouldn't be looking for hdmi switching in a stereo preamp. We'll have to see the OP's response to see why they are looking for such a rare beast.

The NAD that ski2xblack posted in pretty cool looking, but at ~ $2600 it's a tough sell for me.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The only two channel gear I know that accepts HDMI is this integrated unit.
I think it doesn't come stock with HDMI, you would have to add the expansion card to it, those aint cheap either.

OP needs to give more info, as to why he thinks he wants such an odd piece of gear, then we can steer him in the right direction

P

panzeroceania

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Let me elaborate on the situation.

Last year I got my brother and sister-in-law a nice pair of Aperion Audio Verus Grand bookshelf speakers with stands

Verus Grand Bookshelf Speaker Pair - Verus Family - Speakers By Family - Aperion Audio

he was living across the country from me, and was using an old pioneer receiver which was fine, except I think it had some serious noise problems, it was our great uncle's and very old, it's since died and he hasn't been able to use the speakers recently.

He just moved back into town, and I'd like to get him a good solution so he can enjoy the speakers.

Basically his sources are going to be things like

Wii
Xbox 360
Playstation 3
Blu Ray Player
PC

I don't need something that can necessarily connect all devices at once, but you get the idea, I was looking for something that accepted HDMI because it's going to be his most common interconnect.

I don't mind getting integrated, or getting multiple channels, but he is only going to be using 2 channels, or maybe 2.1 if we get a sub. Basically I wanted to put the money towards high quality amps.

We're not doing surround here, don't need a lot of bells and whistles. I know a lot of boxes will have 7.1, but the amps are poor, or break up at higher volumes. Again, integrated or multichannel are ok, but I want best bang for buck to power the Verus Grands, no frills or gimmicks necessary.

My brother is a musician but not very technically minded, and doesn't really dabble with speakers like I do. I just want to provide him with a solution that 'just works' without too much complication with 9 different sources, etc.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Let me elaborate on the situation.

Last year I got my brother and sister-in-law a nice pair of Aperion Audio Verus Grand bookshelf speakers with stands

Verus Grand Bookshelf Speaker Pair - Verus Family - Speakers By Family - Aperion Audio

he was living across the country from me, and was using an old pioneer receiver which was fine, except I think it had some serious noise problems, it was our great uncle's and very old, it's since died and he hasn't been able to use the speakers recently.

He just moved back into town, and I'd like to get him a good solution so he can enjoy the speakers.

Basically his sources are going to be things like

Wii
Xbox 360
Playstation 3
Blu Ray Player
PC

I don't need something that can necessarily connect all devices at once, but you get the idea, I was looking for something that accepted HDMI because it's going to be his most common interconnect.

I don't mind getting integrated, or getting multiple channels, but he is only going to be using 2 channels, or maybe 2.1 if we get a sub. Basically I wanted to put the money towards high quality amps.

We're not doing surround here, don't need a lot of bells and whistles. I know a lot of boxes will have 7.1, but the amps are poor, or break up at higher volumes. Again, integrated or multichannel are ok, but I want best bang for buck to power the Verus Grands, no frills or gimmicks necessary.

My brother is a musician but not very technically minded, and doesn't really dabble with speakers like I do. I just want to provide him with a solution that 'just works' without too much complication with 9 different sources, etc.
It's really sounding like AVR is the way to go to me.

What kind of budget do you have for this?

Oh yeah, I wish somebody would give me speakers for xmas.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
My vote is for an AVR and a sub. The avr will be the simplest and most economical solution. The sub will have a big impact, more so than separates for those speakers. You can get an AVR with preouts in case you ever need an external amp.

Denon 3312 or 3313 , Marantz 7005 or 6007 , Yamaha Avantage 1010 should all fit your needs well.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
My vote is for an AVR and a sub. The avr will be the simplest and most economical solution. The sub will have a big impact, more so than separates for those speakers. You can get an AVR with preouts in case you ever need an external amp.

Denon 3312 or 3313 , Marantz 7005 or 6007 , Yamaha Avantage 1010 should all fit your needs well.
Agree an AVR with the ability to support a sub. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yup, the best solution is the 7.1 AVR like the Denon 3312/3313.

Electronic Expo may have a 3312 open box w/ 3 yr warranty for $485.

You just use Stereo mode (2.0 or 2.1). The AVR will sound as good as any separate stereo analog preamp out there IMO. I've used class A analg preamps in the pass. They have nothing over the AVR in terms of sound IMO.

It also has network capability. Like AirPlay which allows you to play music directly on your iPad or iPhone to your Denon 3312/3313.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Gotta go along with the AVR suggetion

An AVR is really the only way to go here. HDMI was initially developed as a video, not audio, delivery medium. Audio was later "tacked on" to the specs.

So, if you want hdmi, you're gonna have to look in the video world.

But look at the bright side: With a modern, quality, AVR, it can be used for video switching as well. You're not forced to use all the bells and whistles, just pay for them.

Look at it like air conditioners in many cars. You don't have to use it, but some simply don't come without it.

A

avengineer

Banned
The ostensible goal of HDMI is a "once cable solution" to AV interconnects. The actual industry motivation behind is "copy protection", though in reality, it's only "copy resistant". No need to rant here about how poor a solution HDMI turned out to be...

Since digital audio interconnect is already a one cable problem, there's really no point to HDMI for 2ch audio only. Most digital sources provide optical or coax digital outs which can go to a 2ch DAC/Pre. If you're not dealing with digital video AND multichannel audio, there's no good reason to use HDMI just for 2ch audio, except for this scenario: High res audio on Blue-ray or DVD disc. You may have a BD player that only has HDMI out, and you only want to listen to 2 channel high res audio. You're actually stuck with the video, because most BD players require visible video for navigation. So you have to do HDMI to an AVR, put the video on a monitor, then bit-stream the audio out of the AVR to your high-end DAC.

By the way, the 40th Anniversary high-res/mutlichannel DVD of "Thick As A Brick" is a revelation! You get the original mix in high res, a new stereo mix in high res, a Dolby Digital 5.1 and a DTS high rate 5.1. Sweet. And to play that, you'll need an HDMI connection, even if you want to listen in stereo with headphones. Menus...darn.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Look at it like air conditioners in many cars. You don't have to use it, but some simply don't come without it.
Depends on where you are. In TX, air conditioning in your (my) car is a necessity. For all you northerners, the high/low temps for me today are 75/55.

Now over the TX summers, we might see high/lows of 105/85. Seriously :eek:

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Depends on where you are. In TX, air conditioning in your (my) car is a necessity. For all you northerners, the high/low temps for me today are 75/55.

Now over the TX summers, we might see high/lows of 105/85. Seriously :eek:
Texas FTW! Summers are killer but at least it seems we're having a mild winter..

@OP if you're worried about it being complicated switching between sources with an AVR, grab a universal remote. Logitech Harmony One or Harmony 900 are great remotes and have a decent computer-based setup interface. Once it's set up correctly it's as simple as pressing "watch tv", "watch a movie", "play wii", etc..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis