Looking for some sub advice

X

XeonicXpression

Audiophyte
So my fiance and I are finishing our basement and I'm going to put a home theater in the family room. Here's a link to a cad drawing of it. I'm new here so you'll have to copy and paste it.

i50.tinypic.com/nzrhqx.png

The Theater area has a total volume of around 3200 cu.ft. If you take into account the area where the pool table is and the area where the foosball table is the total open volume is about 7000 cu.ft. I'm not concerned with filling the whole basement with bass. I just want the theater area to not be lacking.

You'll see I have two circles drawn, one in the lower left and one in the upper right. I was all set on doing dual SVS PC13-Ultra subwoofers in those locations. Then I came here and discovered Power Sound Audio and Funk Audio and decided I should expand my horizons.

My Fiance told me she doesn't care what I do, so while aesthetics aren't my main concern, I'd prefer not to have something like the SVS PB13-ULTRA. We have a U shaped stairway leading to the basement and getting two 155 pound boxes down there (and eventually out when we move) does not sound fun.

The room will be used mainly for movies. We will probably watch TV down there also and do some gaming. There will probably be the occasional music played too, but that's lowest on the priority list.

The 5.0 part of the setup will be Aperion Verus Grand towers for L/R Grand Center and Grand bookshelfs for the surround. They will be powered by a Emotiva XPA-5 with an Integra DHC-80.3 pre-amp.

My parents have a home theater at their house and I usually listened to it at around -12dB (sometimes a little louder). They have a B&K Ref 50 with B&K Ref 200.7 amp. The speakers are M&K S150's with dual M&K MX350 subs. So I like things loud, but not ear bleeding loud.

So, If you made it through my long winded explanation I'd like some advice from you. What would you recommend? My budget is around $3,500 for a dual sub setup. I would prefer to keep it in the $2,000 - $3,000 range if possible though.

On a side note, the new XS30 from PSA looks interesting. What would you guys think of two of those?

Thanks,

Mark

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Hi Mark,

My Fiance told me she doesn't care what I do, so while aesthetics aren't my main concern, I'd prefer not to have something like the SVS PB13-ULTRA. We have a U shaped stairway leading to the basement and getting two 155 pound boxes down there (and eventually out when we move) does not sound fun.
To preface, I would warn that most of the recommendations you're likely to get aren't going to be terribly small or lightweight. You've got a fairly large space, and to deliver deep bass with authority demands a decent sized sub. Suffice it to say, something like the SVS SB1000 won't cut the mustard.

What would you recommend? My budget is around $3,500 for a dual sub setup. I would prefer to keep it in the $2,000 - $3,000 range if possible though.
A good value option might be a pair of Rythmik FV15HPs. These subs are quite competitive in terms of output capability with the PB/PC13U, and pair in gloss black (versus the stock vinyl black ash) could be had for right around $3000 shipped (a little less if you get the 550 watt amplifier versus the 600 watt amplifier, which decreases output by a whopping 0.5dB). It's dimensions might be a little better for you, and its a good bit lighter as well versus the PB13U.

There are of course tradeoffs for the reduced cost: warranty isn't quite as generous (specifically on the amplifier), operation isn't bulletproof (particularly in 1 port mode, where the single 3" port can become overloaded), and the amplifier isn't as feature rich (which shouldn't make a difference in your case).

On a side note, the new XS30 from PSA looks interesting. What would you guys think of two of those?
I agree they look very interesting; however, in a very large space such as yours, it wouldn't be my first choice. IMO it's output capability in the 32Hz-20Hz range versus the 63Hz-40Hz range makes it more suitable for a space with a bit more room gain than I'd expect your room to offer.

Last edited:
X

XeonicXpression

Audiophyte
Hi Mark,
To preface, I would warn that most of the recommendations you're likely to get aren't going to be terribly small or lightweight. You've got a fairly large space, and to deliver deep bass with authority demands a decent sized sub. Suffice it to say, something like the SVS SB1000 won't cut the mustard.
Eh, that's fine. If I have to lug a big sub down there it won't kill me. I'll just have to get an appliance cart.

A good value option might be a pair of Rythmik FV15HPs. These subs are quite competitive in terms of output capability with the PB/PC13U, and pair in gloss black (versus the stock vinyl black ash) could be had for right around $3000 shipped (a little less if you get the 550 watt amplifier versus the 600 watt amplifier, which decreases output by a whopping 0.5dB). It's dimensions might be a little better for you, and its a good bit lighter as well versus the PB13U.
That's tempting. It would save me $450 over the PC13-Ultra's. Do you have an opinion of the PC13 vs the PB13? It's a $600 saving to go with the PC13 instead. I haven't been able to find any good comparisons of the two.
There are of course tradeoffs for the reduced cost: warranty isn't quite as generous (specifically on the amplifier), operation isn't bulletproof (particularly in 1 port mode, where the single 3" port can become overloaded), and the amplifier isn't as feature rich (which shouldn't make a difference in your case).
That makes things a little more complicated...
I agree they look very interesting; however, in a very large space such as yours, it wouldn't be my first choice. IMO it's output capability in the 32Hz-20Hz range versus the 63Hz-40Hz range makes it more suitable for a space with a bit more room gain than I'd expect your room to offer.
Thanks, that good to know. I figure room gain will be non-existant with such a wide open area.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Eh, that's fine. If I have to lug a big sub down there it won't kill me. I'll just have to get an appliance cart.
Really if you've got a second set of hands, it's not all that bad; still, a sub like that never looks quite so daunting as before you have to haul it down a flight of stairs.

Do you have an opinion of the PC13 vs the PB13? It's a $600 saving to go with the PC13 instead. I haven't been able to find any good comparisons of the two.
My understanding is that the PB13 has a slight advantage due to a little more internal volume, but its not much to write home about. For all practical purposes, you're not likely to notice any difference in output.

I will say that IMO the cylinder form factor is not the most attractive. Imagine having a couple of 4' tall black water heaters in your room.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome:D

If you have friends ;) now is the time to reserve their time to help with the move down below and you will survive. :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
dual Funk Audio 15.3 or dual Rythmik FV15HP. Personally I would go for the Funks, they are real purty lookin' and will have a smaller footprint.

J

jbrown15

Audioholic Intern
dual Funk Audio 15.3 or dual Rythmik FV15HP. Personally I would go for the Funks, they are real purty lookin' and will have a smaller footprint.
For an extra $100 he could have dual Funk Audio 18.0Cs!! :eek:
I was really close to getting that step up but ended up with dual PSA XS30s.

X

XeonicXpression

Audiophyte
I'm leaning towards going with the Rythmik's or sticking with SVS. It's too hard to justify the cost of the Funk Audio subs. The funks are pretty, but I'm fine with just black. What steve81 said about the Rythmik's not being as bullet proof does make me a little worried.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
What steve81 said about the Rythmik's not being as bullet proof does make me a little worried.
It's nothing that you necessarily need to worry about. Rythmik's still have limiters in place to help keep you from destroying your new toy. SVS just happens to be more conservative than most with respect to the implementation of their limiters. Regardless of how hard you ride them, you're not going to get them to audibly misbehave. OTOH, the Rythmik can be driven to this point if the circumstances are right (of course, it'd take quite a lot of punishment to get it to do so in any case)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis