Looking for some advice on a new receiver

T

tmp

Audiophyte
I am currently looking at purchasing a new receiver. I currently have a Technics SA-DX950 that has started displaying the F70 error. I have obviously been out of the loop on new technology for some time, as evidenced by not even having a HDMI input.

I am looking for a receiver that will allow me to use Airplay. I would also like to be able to use the wifi system in my house since I do not want to run a network cable to the receiver. I know for most receivers that requires an additional wifi component, which is fine.

I also would like to be able to stream Pandora to the receiver.

Having phono inputs would be a plus as I still have some vinyl I listen to. I would have liked to find a receiver that allows me to use a separate equalizer I have, but this does not seem likely with the newer receivers. The only additional feature I would like to have is the option to add a second zone in the future.

After some research I have narrowed my choices down to either the Yamaha RX-A1030 or the Onkyo TX-NR1010. These appear to have the same relative features with the exception of the Onkyo costing more and offering less warranty. I am looking to spend around $1200 for new equipment (yes, I know the Onkyo is more but I can get it for around my budget).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, even if it takes me in a completely different direction.

Thanks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Call Electronics Expo and see if they can sell you a Denon 4311 for $1225 shipped. They have done this numerous times in the past over the phone when they had them in stock.

Also call Onecall and other dealers and mention this $1225 shipped price and see if they can match.

Also, Electronics Expo can probably sell you a Denon X4000 for under $900 shipped (over the phone).

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Onkyo does not support Airplay, or it may if you buy an expansion doc with the older ipod connection. Either way if Airplay is a must, then Onkyo might not be the way to go.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Have you looked at Yamaha yet, specifically the RX-A1020 model and up? All have phono inputs and support Airplay. They have an excellent reliability record and a great customer support. Their proprietary room correction facility YPAO does a good job tailoring speaker response to a room's acoustic properties for a flat response.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
That is a great value on that unit, which received positive reviews:

Pioneer Elite SC-63 Review

Definitely one to consider at a really good price point
I agree and I really like the d3 amps, they sound strong, I have some experience with the sc63 and the 1222k them class d's are super nice, they seem very loud and effortless...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis