Looking for Quality 2.0 speakers for HT and general use.

K

Kailu

Audiophyte
I began looking for some options to upgrade my HDTV's built-in speakers last week, focusing on a 2.0 stereo solution for a 14 x 12 ft. bedroom (no space for 5.1). My needs include watching TV, playing videogames, DVD movies, and streaming media files (all kinds) from the PC. I thought I would be over searching within 2 or 3 hours, but the more I read the more I had to compare and search again, really tiresome and jarring at times.

First, I was about to buy the Logitechs Z-2300 2.1 last week, seeing how it's a top-rated system and all (C-net editor's pick, etc.) but then I was told those computer speaker packages were trash because of their flaky amps and boomy subwoofer. Okay at best for PC games but not for music and movies.

I continued reading and reached studio monitors. Found out they deliver clean and clear sound since they're used for people work with recordings and music. The drawback: they are "nearfield" and require you to be close to them to get the detail. Not good for TV setups to enjoy listening from an 8 ft. distance. Not being able to decide for myself, I thought it was time to ask for some help. I'm stuck.

I have been reading several reviews since yesterday about the Audioengine A5 speakers. Manufacturer claims they're great for any source, self-powered, and easy to connect to the TV-out to control the volume via the TV remote. I like those features and most reviews praise them for their sound quality and build.

However, at a price tag of $349, I want to make sure if they are worth the money, or if there are other options that can deliver the same quality for a bit less, as the Audioengines have some I-pod features (USB port and airport express dock) that I don't require.

Thanks a lot for help!! :D

~ Kailu

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Just a note about using studio monitors. They are designed for a flat response curve, and therefore don't have the bloated bass most people like. If you are a bass junkie, studio monitors probably aren't the way to go unless you get a sub with them.

If you still want studio monitors, I'd actually recommend the KRK RP-8" over the Behringers. It's cheaper on that site too (although list price is the same):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/KRK-RP8-Rokit-Powered-8-Reference-Studio-Monitor?sku=602314

The sound quality is noticably better and they don't blow as easy as the Behringers (those Truth monitors like to pop tweeters, even under normal use).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis