Looking for opinions on desktop sound system

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a client which has big budget, but VERY tiny space to work with.
He currently have some 2.1 Bose system with 2 speakers sized small than my fist

I want to persuade him to change it, but I can't propose bookshelfs with 5" woofers - they are just way to big. 4" would probably be too large as well...
Subwoofer size however is a bit more flexible. Higher quality wood finish would also be high on want list.

I'm currently looking at RBH MC-4C in custom wood finish with audioengine n22 amp
or Audioengine P4 speakers in bamboo with same amp

Like I said, no budget limitation, only physical size...

I've high doubts regarding B&W MM22 speakers... however they'd be a great fit as far as size goes and the fact they've usb input...

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I have a client which has big budget, but VERY tiny space to work with.
He currently have some 2.1 Bose system with 2 speakers sized small than my fist

I want to persuade him to change it, but I can't propose bookshelfs with 5" woofers - they are just way to big. 4" would probably be too large as well...
Subwoofer size however is a bit more flexible. Higher quality wood finish would also be high on want list.

I'm currently looking at RBH MC-4C in custom wood finish with audioengine n22 amp
or Audioengine P4 speakers in bamboo with same amp

Like I said, no budget limitation, only physical size...

I've high doubts regarding B&W MM22 speakers... however they'd be a great fit as far as size goes and the fact they've usb input...
Given that I own the N-22 amp and P-4 speakers (in black), I can say the system is terrific. The headphone amp is very good as well and can handle headphones wit an impedance from 16 to 300 ohms. The P-4 speakers are very detailed but you do want to think about how they will sound on a desk. I had an old pair of speaker stands sitting around which worked perfectly with the speakers by angling them up a bit and by reducing (but not completely eliminating) resonance between the speakers and the desk. They also are a bit lacking in the bottom end. That doesn't bother me for music but I think the system would work better if paired with the right sub.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
If he wants small and attractive, I'd look at Anthony Gallo (Nucleus Micro or A'Diva), or Orb Audio. They both offer some nice finishes as well.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
By the way, one desktop system I considered but did not buy was the peachtree musicbox, http://signalpathint.com/index.php/musicBox/musicBox.html. It has some really interesting features, such as a pure digital stream for an ipod that bypasses the internal dac, a fair number of digital and analog inputs, and a, I believe, a variable out. I went with the audio engine set up because I preferred a separate dac since that is a technology that is changing quickly. But still the Peachtree units are beautiful and sound great if paired with the right speakers.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
No budget limitation means you could do a custom build. What is your specific size limitation so we can really tailor suggestions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis