looking for new tv for room with many windows

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
My current 6 year old toshiba dlp tv bit the dust tonight. Replaced the bulb and it still doesn't show a picture. Tries to turn on and then light clicks and recycles to try again.

My room is 18 x 18 with 18ft ceiling. One of the walls is an entire wall of windows so there is a ton of light that shines in all day long.

Looking for a tv to fit into my custom entertainment center. Depending on the brand I can fit probably about 58-61" tv in it.

I don't need the top of the line with all the bells and whistles, but want it to look good for watching football and baseball games.

I have directv and a bluray. No ps3 or any of that stuff.

M

MacNThorens

Audiophyte
I'll chime in! First let me say that I am no expert on TV's and I just joined this site today but I have/had been looking for a 55-60 for my needs for a while. I decided to go the route of Plasma since I like movies and sports and the refresh rates on the Plasmas are great. I have chosen the Panasonic because they have mostly been highly rated and they do have a beautiful picture. If you want to save some $$ you can look into the ST series. Home Theater (not sure if I can mention them here) did a review (09/11 issue) of the 2011 ST, GT and VT models and the gist of it was that the ST produced as high a quality as the GT for a better price point. The VT certainly is the top of the line but they still feel the ST is the best bang for the buck. I am not sure if you want to go 3D but all of the models that I have mentioned are 3D....not that you have to use it. As far as your lighting issue I have somewhat of the same issue and after my research it was deemed that it should not be too much of an issue.....We'll see though as I am waiting on AV furniture and all of my new goodies are sitting in their boxes. Hope you find this helpful.............remember I did say I was no expert so someone here my shoot me down for my recommendation. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'll second the suggestion to check out Panasonic plasmas. I also have direct lighting on my TV, and I picked the Panny because of it. At least in 2009 (I haven't kept up with their models in regards to screen coating), their anti-reflective coating worked excellently - much better than what I was seeing on LCDs at the time.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
A bright room like this and expectations which aren't through the roof lead me to recommend a LCD in this particular location. I'm a big fan of plasmas, but you get high quality overall with a LCD. Not as good as plasma, but a brighter image which will matter in a bright room.

My brother got the 65" VT Panasonic and he definitely has viewing issues in his family room due to the windows. It certainly is a great looking display, but just doesn't have the daytime punch which he would like and is visibly missing.

On the 'cheap' side, Sharps 60" LCD is nice. On the awesome side, Samsung has displays which are great.

You would need to provide the exact size of the opening in your space to enusre that a display will fit. 60" Samsung or 60" Sharp would be my first two choices depending on your budget.

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
thanks for the input so far.

I know several people who have Panasonic Plasma's and I like them. Everyone I know has then in rooms that don't have a lot of light.

The knock I've seen against the Panny Plasma's is they perform better not in heavily lighted rooms.

Wondering if there is a big difference going with something else, or is the difference very minimal.

Right now with the fall here in Wisconsin the light actually shines directly on the screen for about 1 1/2 hours during the Packer games. There are no shades on the upper windows so closing the shades isn't an option. Buying shades isn't an option either due to aesthetics for the room.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I can say that CNET led me to get the Samsung plasma over the Panasonic plasma due to cost savings and I think it was a good decision. In a non-ideal viewing space, then getting the 'best looking' display is rarely the best decision. You need the best looking for that space.

In which case, you can save cash and get very high quality with a Samsung plasma, or you can get higher viewing (daytime) quality from a LED LCD. Samsung first, Sharp second.

Still... Go big, or go home!

Measure the size of the area you are stuffing the display into and see what will fit and make the most of it.

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
I measured the opening in the entertainment center. This is to the inside of the 1" trim on the front. If I set the set back about an inch I have another 1" of room on the top and 2" on the sides

59 1/2" w
36 1/2" h

Not sure a 60" will fit as I need to include the stand.

From what I've been reading plasma is not best in my room with all the light. A matte finish lcd or led is better.

Might need to go with a 55" or a 60" possibly if it fits.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
I'd recommend another DLP. Of course, it reads like your light engine blew. So, I'm not sure if you've given up on DLP. (Every other manufacturer but Mitsubishi has.)

I, too, prefer plasmas but LCD or DLP would be the better choice for a bright room. If you go with DLP, you might want to go with last year's models. This year's Mitsubishis all have a high contrast screen that shows reflections like crazy.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I measured the opening in the entertainment center.

59 1/2" w
36 1/2" h
Sharp 60" LCD (832): 54.5" W x 35" H (with stand)

LC-60LE832U, 60" Class LED LCD TV, Quattron quad pixel Technology | Sharp Electronics

Samsung 60" LCD (6400 series): 54.1" W x 33.7" H (with stand)
Features and Specifications - NEW! 60" Class (60.0" Diag.) LED 6400 Series Smart TV | Samsung TV/Video

and because I can..
Samsung 65" LCD (8000 series): 59.8" W x 39" H (with stand)

Yup, no 65" TV for you! Unless you can gain those two inches on the side, and put a false back behind the TV and mount it that way, which would gain you several inches in height. Of course, that a $5,000 TV instead of a sub $3000 one.

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
Sharp 60" LCD (832): 54.5" W x 35" H (with stand)

LC-60LE832U, 60" Class LED LCD TV, Quattron quad pixel Technology | Sharp Electronics

Samsung 60" LCD (6400 series): 54.1" W x 33.7" H (with stand)
Features and Specifications - NEW! 60" Class (60.0" Diag.) LED 6400 Series Smart TV | Samsung TV/Video

and because I can..
Samsung 65" LCD (8000 series): 59.8" W x 39" H (with stand)

Yup, no 65" TV for you! Unless you can gain those two inches on the side, and put a false back behind the TV and mount it that way, which would gain you several inches in height. Of course, that a $5,000 TV instead of a sub $3000 one.
unfortunately modifying the ent. center isn't an option there are fixed shelves below and above. It's a solid maple custom made unit.

I don't know anyone who's had a Sharp but I can't really see the difference between these 3 models the 632, 830, and 832 beside price.
contrast, 120hz, ultrabrilliant, xgen panel led lcd on all 3 of them.

Here's the link 2 the 3 compared side by side by side
Compare Sharp LC60LE830U 60" HDTV-Ready LCD TV vs. Sharp LC-60LE632U 60" LCD TV vs. Sharp Lc-60le832u 60" LCD TV - Shopping.com

amazon link showing the 632 remaining features it doesn't show on the above link. Amazon.com: Sharp AQUOS LC60LE632U 60-inch 1080p 120 Hz LED-LCD HDTV, Black: Electronics

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you go into Best Buy/HH Gregg, you likely can see all the different Sharps near each other. I think the Samsung is a nicer display overall, but the Sharps have a price advantage. I would probably go with their non-3D 240hz model as the price jump isn't huge. Their 3D model is a serious price jump and for that, I would just go to the Samsung instead.

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
I looked at all the Sharps and I'm really not that impressed with them. The Samsungs I saw for LCD almost all had a pretty glossy front. Only 1 model I saw had more of a semi gloss front, can't remember the model. Pretty slim pickings as far as 60" LCD/LED in a matte finish at the stores locally.

I looked at the Panasonic Plasma 60s30 and the st30 those have more of a matted finish than the older models that I've seen in the past with the high gloss. The picture to me is just sooo much better than the Sharp's on the ST30 so I had to give it a try.

I purchases the 60ST30 and am going to give it a try with the 30 day return policy.

I hooked it up last night for. Spent the first couple hours last night tweaking the settings so every doesn't look orange or colors washed out etc.

The sun is shining right now on about 1/2 the screen. I haven't had it on too long and playing with the settings but so far it's better in the sun than I thought it would be.

Where the sun shines on it, the colors are washed out some, but definately not as bad as the dlp that I've been accustomed to for the past 6 years.

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
The sun has now moved from shining directly on the screen to in front of the screen.

I can see like a mirror the entire reflections of the room.

On the positive side while the sun is shining on the screen it looks much better than I expected.

The reflections don't bother my wife at all. I'll have to see if it grows on me, but as of now if nobody is in the room or people sit still it's okay, but when someone is walking around in the kitchen behind me it's annoying from the reflections.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
If you go into Best Buy/HH Gregg, you likely can see all the different Sharps near each other. I think the Samsung is a nicer display overall, but the Sharps have a price advantage. I would probably go with their non-3D 240hz model as the price jump isn't huge. Their 3D model is a serious price jump and for that, I would just go to the Samsung instead.
How do I get info like the refresh rate you mentioned to be 240Hz? When I see the TV specs the refresh rates & supported frame rates (like support for 24) are usually missing. :confused:

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
to get the most accurate specs I usually goto the manufacturers website. Many of the reseller sites aren't always accurate or missing info.

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
With the sun down, the Packers game tonight looked great on the tv, plus they are winning so that never hurts.

Need to ask around and see if someone can loan me a pair of 3d glasses to test out the 3d. I don't see myself really using that feature, but I'd like to see what it's like in the house.

deal with reflections during the daytime and great picture at night or okay picture all the time and less reflections during the day.

hmmm, glad I have 30 days to decide.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis