Looking for input on stereo speakers

T

tjs

Enthusiast
I'm looking at two speakers JBL E90 and Polk RTi8 they will be used for main
speakers not HT. Should I be looking at others in this same price range.
Looking for the cleanest sound under 800/pr. tia

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
If you call Yawa, they may drop the price on the MB Quarts. :confused:

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
B&W 800 nautilus series are the best speakers I have ever heard. The 700's are nice as well. But, IMO, at this pricepoint B&W just can't hold their own.

J

Jason Coleman

Banned
Paradigm Studio 20's...Outrageously sweet sounding speakers.

Jason

T

tjs

Enthusiast
zumbo & others

thanks for all the info from you and others.
local audio carries paradigm but not the monitor 7 however they can order.
i guess to low end for this store in new haven,ct. i will be visiting the b&w store today to check out some models. btw what cds do you bring to evaluate speakers? tia :D

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Cool! You have the local stores to audition. What kind of music do you like?
I use Primus-Brown Album. Flat audiophile quality. Should be able to p/u for about $10.

T

tjs

Enthusiast
just about everthing but "rap" my daughter drives me nuts with it. i found a local monitor audio store so it's off i go. have a great day!!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Keep us posted. I bet, for the money, you will choose Paradigm.

T

tjs

Enthusiast
tried b&w 603 (850.00) & cm4 (1350.00) today. only diff was 603 bass, the "box" came out while the cm4 stayed hidden.

monitor audio store was closed today will try later this week.

tomorrow will see if i can order & try the monitor 7 for a few days.

zumbo i do like the polk rti8 the best at this point and at this price !!

good night

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
couple of notes- the JBL's at the local Best Buy didn't seem to be finished very well.

be careful on the MB's.. they are all 4 ohm speakers, so be sure your receiver can drive them.. alot of today's stuff won't. the specs look really good, though.

if you are limited on the amount of time you want for a test, take the Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Christmas Eve and Other Stories.. song # 8 (Christmas Eve in Yugoslavia) has a very unique blend of flute work at the beginning, cello and base violin in the center, and some very fine high guitar work toward the end. it will quickly expose the pretenders.

if you have John Butcher's CD wishes (and everyone should), try song # 1 (Goodbye Saving Grace) for axe work and the title track for some very intricate acoustics.

if you want to test the HT, I'd recommend the A-10 napalm run in Courage Under Fire. The depth charge scene in U571 is another good standard. The depth charges test a sub and the left-right seperation, but the A-10 attack moves across the screen, showing how well the speakers follow movement.

remember, shopping is half the fun... then comes having, and then the best part of all, bragging....

T

tjs

Enthusiast
zumbo

u are correct the paradigm monitors r very nice. just got back from the audio store in newington ct, wow do they have some great gear. one set of speakers cost 40k!!! right now "7" is the lucky number but i would still like to hear the s6. :D

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Cool! Be sure to try them on the same day as close together as possible, if possible, to be certain of which you like best. Thanks for taking the time to hear some great audio. You will be sooooooo glad you did once your system is complete!

T

tjs

Enthusiast
well the monitor 7 won out however i had to get the shielded pair. i couldn't
get the speaker within 6 inches without the tv colors going crazy !!
very,very happy with them. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis