Looking for input on 2 different setups

P

Powda193

Audiophyte
So, I recently found this subreddit and I am seeking some advice. I have enough equipment to get 2 home theater setups going. I want one to be more of a music/video game setup, and the other to be a regular TV watching setup.

Here is what I got:
Receivers:
Denon AVR-2600
Onkyo TX-8211

Subwoofers:
Kenwood 1050SW
Bose Acoustimass 5 Seriess II
-I only have the SW--I blew out the speakers :(

Speakers:
B&W KCR60 S3 x1
Pioneer CS-B5000 x2. I couldn't find a good spec sheet, but they are 120W
Infinity RS1 x2

OK, now that we have that out of the way... I think the video game/music setup would be: Onkyo Receiver, Kenwood SW, and the 2 Pioneer floor speakers.

That would leave the Denon Receiver with the Bose SW, 2 infinity shelf speakers (back), and the B&W serving as a second set of speakers (front) for the "TV" setup.

I like this setup because the Onkyo receiver does not have video inputs whereas the Denon does. So, I would like to have the Denon with the TV setup. My concern is that the Onkyo receiver does not have enough power for the Pioneer floor speakers. Will the Kenwood powered SW help compensate for that?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

My concern is that the Onkyo receiver does not have enough power for the Pioneer floor speakers. Will the Kenwood powered SW help compensate for that?
Most older speakers like your Pioneers were designed back in the day when 50 watts was an average power rating for a receiver, and as such should be fairly efficient, so I doubt your Onkyo will have any problem with them. Adding a subwoofer isn’t going to help because there is no way to electronically high-pass the main channels.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

P

Powda193

Audiophyte
Thanks for the response.

So, I shouldn't be worried about matching power levels and just put things where they fit best?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Yes, you should worry. You want the more efficient speakers for the lower-powered amplifier. “Efficiency” with speakers relates to how much volume they generate with a given wattage (1 watt is typically the figure used in manufacturer’s specs). For instance, if one speaker’s efficiency rating at 1 watt is 92 dB and the other is 88 dB, that means the former puts out significantly more volume at a given wattage than the latter.

From what I can find, your Infinity speakers have an efficiency rating of 89 dB, which is about average these days. I can’t find anything on the Pioneers since they are so old, but as I noted they are most likely more efficient than that, given that lower-powered receivers were much more common back then they are now. So, the Pioneers with the low-powered Onkyo receiver is probably the best tact.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis