Looking for info on Audiosource sub...

mgeoffriau

mgeoffriau

Audioholic Intern
...and possible looking for advice on a replacement.

A little history, as I'm a new member here (I should mention here that I'm very thankful for all the great information I've found here in searching existing threads -- great forum).

My home theater setup started with a craigslist purchase: a Denon 2802 receiver that came with a couple of Klipsch Quintet satellite speakers and an Audiosource SW80 subwoofer (80w, 8").

I sold the Klipsch satellites and moved up to some Acoustic Research 215PS bookshelf speakers. This setup lasted a while and I was generally pleased with it. Ultimately, two factors moved me to upgrade: I felt the A/R bookshelf speakers really lacked in that mid-range just above what the sub was handling, and the Denon receiver's lack of HDMI made the setup rather complicated.

Using some Christmas money I snapped up a Yamaha RX-V471 receiver from Amazon for $150 after reading excellent reviews of it's sound quality and warmth (and relative lack of HDMI issues compared to other receivers in my price range like certain Onkyos and Denons).

Then I settled on a pair of Pioneer SP-FS52 tower speaker to replace the A/R bookshelf speakers. As you can tell, this is a budget setup and everything I read indicated I'd be hard-pressed to top the performance of the Pioneers in the under $200/per range.

I set up the new system a few days ago and I'm really, really pleased. Two things struck me immediately -- at low volume I can still hear layers and details in the music, and at high volume I don't get quickly tired of listening like I did with the smaller speakers.

Now, of course, I'm eyeing the last unchanged part of my setup -- the subwoofer. I can hardly find any information at all on the Audiosource SW80 sub. I'm not even sure what it originally retailed for (which would, absent other information, at least give me some indication of its quality). Does anyone out there have any experience with this sub, and any opinions on whether it's a worthy member of my audio system?

Secondly, supposing that the Audiosource wasn't quite up to snuff, what should I be looking at to replace it? I've seen various recommendations for budget subs (Dayton SUB-1200, Monoprice sub, BIC America F12), but I've also seen people mention that the Pioneer towers deserve something better than the bottom-level subs.

What say you, Audioholics?

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you're putting together a real nice system there.

First - if you haven't already, be sure to enter this month's contest for an Outlaw LFM-1EX subwoofer. Entries must be in by tomorrow night. Free if you win, and I guarantee it's better than that SW80...plus you only have to wait about a week to find out if you won (you have good timing :)).

Second - I looked around a bit for info on the SW80, like I'm sure that you did. I found the specs immediately in a couple of user manuals, but I still haven't found a good in-depth review. From the little that I found, people thought it was okay but not great. It seems like it came with speaker packages.

What's your budget if you decide to upgrade?

mgeoffriau

mgeoffriau

Audioholic Intern
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you're putting together a real nice system there.
Thanks!

First - if you haven't already, be sure to enter this month's contest for an [link removed]. Entries must be in by tomorrow night. Free if you win, and I guarantee it's better than that SW80...plus you only have to wait about a week to find out if you won (you have good timing :)).
Thanks again! Just entered and keeping my fingers crossed.

Second - I looked around a bit for info on the SW80, like I'm sure that you did. I found the specs immediately in a couple of user manuals, but I still haven't found a good in-depth review. From the little that I found, people thought it was okay but not great. It seems like it came with speaker packages.
That confirms what I've found. It looks like it was part of a pretty low-budget surround system.

What's your budget if you decide to upgrade?
$200 or under would make me very happy. $250 if I thought it was a significant upgrade. $300 if someone could convince me it that was the make-or-break point.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
When newegg has the Klipsch RW-12d on sale for $299 -- which occurs frequently -- it's worth jumping on. For $300 few subs can match it.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Besides this...

CSX12 Mark II - Cadence Sound Store
I wrote a review on the CSX12, so I have a lot of first hand experience with that one. It's a nice subwoofer, especially for the price it's being sold for now, but the Klipsch has better lower extension and a DSP. Those are significant for HT, which tilts the choice in Klipsch's direction.

mgeoffriau

mgeoffriau

Audioholic Intern
What about this Velodyne VX-11 "2 for $229" deal? My room is not ideally set up to have 2 subwoofers, but would one of them do the job? Or do I really need something more capable to match my existing system?

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
What about this Velodyne VX-11 "2 for $229" deal? My room is not ideally set up to have 2 subwoofers, but would one of them do the job? Or do I really need something more capable to match my existing system?
Without knowing what size your room is it's difficult to say, but two VX-11's for $229 is a steal. They won't dig very deep, but you'll probably have sufficient output for all but the biggest rooms.

mgeoffriau

mgeoffriau

Audioholic Intern
So, I've got a line on a used Elemental Designs A2-300 for just under $300. I know this company is now defunct, but I've also read really good reviews of this subwoofer.

How would this compare to the rest of the typical contenders at this price point? Worth jumping on?

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
So, I've got a line on a used Elemental Designs A2-300 for just under $300. I know this company is now defunct, but I've also read really good reviews of this subwoofer.

How would this compare to the rest of the typical contenders at this price point? Worth jumping on?
Personally, I wouldn't touch it. Not only was the company mismanaged, they also suffered from quality issues. In my book that's a nonstarter.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I would not write off that sub..I have 2 of them and they are a really a great sub for the price...They will dig down deep and have a lot of output. Not the most musical though, really truly a HT sub.

As far as reliability goes, I believe most that had production issues had them early on. I would not pay $300 though....$200-250 is really what it is worth used since the company has gone out of business.

mgeoffriau

mgeoffriau

Audioholic Intern
Appreciate the info -- given that I wouldn't have the opportunity to inspect and test it before purchasing, I think I'll pass.

Also, I'm more interested in a sub that can satisfactorily reproduce Edgar Meyer's low notes on the upright double bass than a sub that can rattle the windows during action movies. I know that's hard to find at this low price point...would that change some of the recommendations being made?

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
If it was me....I would buy the double Velodynes. I do not think that can be beat for the price.

mgeoffriau

mgeoffriau

Audioholic Intern
If it was me....I would buy the double Velodynes. I do not think that can be beat for the price.
I'm tempted, I just can't envision a proper 2 sub placement in my living room. If I could figure out where to put the 2nd sub, I'd do it.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
There will be many places as options if you use the setup guides on the website. It is very helpful!!

Worst case you stack them and get a large gain in output capability.

mgeoffriau

mgeoffriau

Audioholic Intern
Weeks and weeks later....just after I finally decided to save my money and wait for something really nice...

I couldn't help myself.

I snagged this HSU VTF-2 Mk1 on ebay. You'll notice it has a fried amp, and that HSU no longer services these early models. But! I'm going out on a limb here...I've read numerous threads about these HSU amps dying and that the Dayton SPA250 amp is a perfectly sized swap, right down to the screw holes.

So -- best case scenario, for a total of $235.80, I'll have (basically) a HSU VTF-2 with a brand new 250w amp. Worst case scenario, I'll have an unserviceable, out-of-date HSU static-machine plus an amp that either doesn't fit or I'm too stupid to install.

Fingers crossed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis