Looking for in-ceiling speakers...

R

rdinok

Audiophyte
Guys, forgive my ignorance but I was hoping you may be able to help me. I am in the process of building a house and would like to include in ceiling speakers for a 5.1 suround system. A search on the internet turns up so many options it is mind boggling. The other problem is my budget is limited to $400 for the speakers, excluding the sub. I'm not an Aficionado, just looking for something decent to listen to a movie now and then. These will be in a large living room that is open to the kitchen. Could you please direct me to an appropriate speaker for this application and in my price range?

Thank you so much for any help!:)

Last edited:
AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Well, the first thing we need to do is talk you out of in-ceilings for the front three, not a good idea. For the surrounds, no problem. The front three should be firing toward the listening positions from roughly the same level as the display, not from the heavens above.

If you can't be dissuaded then let us know and we'll see what we can do. At this point I'm thinking Polk RC-60is. http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RC60i-Ceiling-Speakers/dp/B00005T3BD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269875469&sr=1-1

R

rdinok

Audiophyte
My new house will have a fireplace in the center of the wall down low and a recess for my 52 inch flat screen above it. Then on both sides of that there will be built in cabinets down low with bookshelves above. And then there are hallways on both sides of the bookshelves so there's really no room for in wall speakers so to speak. I could go with some speakers on the bookshelves but I really liked the idea of everything being blended into the room as much as possible. I had a cheap surround system in my other house with speakers hanging in the corners and hated it. I told myself on the next go around, I would build it in the house. I'm open to suggestions though, and I'll go by the house at lunch and see if there is any room for speakers anywhere on the walls. I will take a picture of the framing in the wall if someone could post it for me.

Thank you again!

Last edited:
K

kcbrown24

Enthusiast
Monoprice Value

IMHO, the center should not be in the ceiling. Try and do whatever you can to put the center chanel facing the listening area. The right and left front can be in the ceiling, but try and get a speaker that allows you to direct the tweeter to the listening area. I know this can be done with the Polk RC60/80i for a reasonable price. Some other speakers actually have the woofer angled toward the listening area as well.
If you just want to get the job done for a reasonable set up that would impress most, then just go with some inexpensive speaker from monoprice. They have some decent values and great customer service if you have problems in the future.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10837

Let us know how it turns out,

KCB

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis