Looking for great Separates

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
I am finally re doing my den and I am ready to start considering a processor and amp. I've always heard that the Anthem D2 is one of the best. I am wondering if it finally has all the current codecs. I am also wondering what else to compare it to. I know that Onkyo, Marantz and Denon have new units out. How do they all compare. Really only want to do it once. Really want to be satisfied. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks BMW

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Thee Very Best.

I am finally re doing my den and I am ready to start considering a processor and amp. I've always heard that the Anthem D2 is one of the best. I am wondering if it finally has all the current codecs. I am also wondering what else to compare it to. I know that Onkyo, Marantz and Denon have new units out. How do they all compare. Really only want to do it once. Really want to be satisfied. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks BMW
Hi BMW,

You seem pretty much well grounded.

Here's for you, especially. :)

1. Anthem Statement D2v/ARC1 High End Audio/Video Preamp/Surround Processor.
* With judicious shopping, you can find this State-of-ther-Art Pre/Pro with the full enchilada (you name it, it's there), for five grand.
** It also comes with the very best Cutomer Service in the entire industry.

2. Bryston 4B-SST Stereo power amplifier, with Bryston 9B-SST 5-channel power amplifier. That's a total of seven channels of pure, clean, unaltered amplification. And it comes with the very best Warranty in the business; twenty (20) years. Also comes with excellent Customer Service.
You can check for deals on those at places like Audiogon.

>>> Now, you want to do it only once, THIS IS IT my friend. :)

Cheers,
Bob

Note: For more info on these top-of-the-line audio products, just Google them.
Needs some B&W Nautilus or Paradigm Reference Signature speakers, to go with these?

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
some nice B&W 803's would go nicely with that set up!! The Bryston is mighty fine stuff, I like Krell too, and you can find alot of deals on audiogon :)

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
some nice B&W 803's would go nicely with that set up!! The Bryston is mighty fine stuff, I like Krell too, and you can find alot of deals on audiogon :)
Thanks for the input. Do you not like the Anthem amps as much as the Bryston? Where or how would you shop for the Anthem to get a great price? I live in LA. Calif.
Thanks BMW

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Thanks for the input. Do you not like the Anthem amps as much as the Bryston? Where or how would you shop for the Anthem to get a great price? I live in LA. Calif.
Thanks BMW
Brick and Mortar stores with % discount. IMO Anthem amps would be subjective only purchase. Amps like these from DSonic are nice to consider also.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
audiogon is a great website to find good deals on used equipment. thats where I got my krell stuff. I also like it since its mostly audio people who are selling their stuff so the condition is better or at least described better.

if you have to have new then you have to be savy at the brick and mortar stores.. :)

as for amps there are alot of good ones out there.. I have had great luck with B&K but they are the lowest I would go.

I also have to say that the emotiva has had good reviews on here. and the price is pretty great even for new.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Hello BMW....

Here is a good place to do some research on Pre-Amps and what they can and can't do...

Eric has an extremely well documented and thorough thread there, which is always kept up to date...... A ton of products have been announced, but not really all that much has surfaced or made it to market....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940065

Personally IMO, if your looking for a product that has everything - codecs, video processing, high end DACs ADACS and room correcton - there are pretty much only 2 choices at this time - the Anthem D2v, and the Denon AVP....

I chose the D2v and I'm more then thrilled with my choice - I just didn't need all the bells and whistles that the AVP had... Some people do, and its a fine choice as well... Take the time to read through that thread, and there are some other threads over there comparing the 2 products, try to look the other way with all the bickering - it seems to be such a touchy subject.. :rolleyes:

Here are a couple of spirited reads... :)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=15947694#post15947694
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=16276278#post16276278

Last edited:
O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
I have heard the Anthem D2V, and I personally like the Anthem sound. I don't think you can go wrong there. I haven't heard the Denon AVP so I can't really comment on it. I don't have a lot of experience with high $ amps, but I do own a pair of the Emotiva monoblocks. A few people have done head to head comparisons with Anthem amps and it from what I have read, the results are pretty close. Some give the Anthem a slight edge and other the Emotiva monoblocks. Comes down to what you prefer. I went with Emotiva due to the price. I happen to like them both.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Personally, I would go for the new upcoming Byrston or Parasound Halo Pre-pros and amps.:D

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I have heard the Anthem D2V, and I personally like the Anthem sound. I don't think you can go wrong there. I haven't heard the Denon AVP so I can't really comment on it. I don't have a lot of experience with high $ amps, but I do own a pair of the Emotiva monoblocks. A few people have done head to head comparisons with Anthem amps and it from what I have read, the results are pretty close. Some give the Anthem a slight edge and other the Emotiva monoblocks. Comes down to what you prefer. I went with Emotiva due to the price. I happen to like them both.
Agreed..... I'm not sure I would throw down the extra money for the amp section either.... I bought Wyred4Sound Class D used, so I got a darn good price, but I needed something that would run cool and compact in my console, but the Emotiva's seem a very good price option.

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
Enlighten me a little

Brick and Mortar stores with % discount. IMO Anthem amps would be subjective only purchase. Amps like these from DSonic are nice to consider also.
Brick and Mortar stores, meaning non internet? I am assuming that IMO means I must own? And, Anthem amps, a subjective only purchase, Meaning??? I am trying to learn everything possible to end up with the right gear.
Thanks BMW

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
Brick and Mortar stores, meaning non internet? I am assuming that IMO means I must own? And, Anthem amps, a subjective only purchase, Meaning??? I am trying to learn everything possible to end up with the right gear.
Thanks BMW
IMO = in my opinion

brick and mortar = yes a store you go and walk out of with item

subjective = means people have different tastes some like some dont for alll kinds of reasons

did you say what kind of money you wanted to spend on this ? because some of this stuff we are talking about could still be in the thousands even used.

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
$$

IMO = in my opinion

brick and mortar = yes a store you go and walk out of with item

subjective = means people have different tastes some like some dont for alll kinds of reasons

did you say what kind of money you wanted to spend on this ? because some of this stuff we are talking about could still be in the thousands even used.
10 grand is probably a sound figure to start at. While it would always be great to spend less, I am not sure if the trade off of quality and upgradeability would be worth it. I currently own PMC OB1 speakers. I still need to purchase their in walls for my surrounds. I am not figuring these into my electronics pricing. I also plan to purchase the new Oppo Blu.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hi BMW,

You seem pretty much well grounded.

Here's for you, especially. :)

1. Anthem Statement D2v/ARC1 High End Audio/Video Preamp/Surround Processor.
* With judicious shopping, you can find this State-of-ther-Art Pre/Pro with the full enchilada (you name it, it's there), for five grand.
** It also comes with the very best Cutomer Service in the entire industry.

2. Bryston 4B-SST Stereo power amplifier, with Bryston 9B-SST 5-channel power amplifier. That's a total of seven channels of pure, clean, unaltered amplification. And it comes with the very best Warranty in the business; twenty (20) years. Also comes with excellent Customer Service.
You can check for deals on those at places like Audiogon.

>>> Now, you want to do it only once, THIS IS IT my friend. :)

Cheers,
Bob

Note: For more info on these top-of-the-line audio products, just Google them.
Needs some B&W Nautilus or Paradigm Reference Signature speakers, to go with these?
10 grand is probably a sound figure to start at. While it would always be great to spend less, I am not sure if the trade off of quality and upgradeability would be worth it. I currently own PMC OB1 speakers. I still need to purchase their in walls for my surrounds. I am not figuring these into my electronics pricing. I also plan to purchase the new Oppo Blu.
Then, my quote just above yours is still standing very strong. :)

* Bryston amps are much better than Anthem amps.

And PMC is the same company as Bryston. :) The perfect marriage. :)

The new Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Disc Player; excellent choice. :)

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
As a former Bryston owner, I remain a huge fan of their amps but they are pricy and can easily destroy the majority of a $10K budget. The lower line Anthem A2 and A5 amps are underwhelming but the Anthem Statement P2 and P5 line looks simply amazing. I'm impressed by this particular disclaimer..."Statement P2 and P5 amplifiers are stable into any impedance down to a short circuit at full output." (Not that they are inexpensive either)

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/Products/P_Series/Specifications/P_Specs.html

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
As a former Bryston owner, I remain a huge fan of their amps but they are pricy and can easily destroy the majority of a $10K budget. The lower line Anthem A2 and A5 amps are underwhelming but the Anthem Statement P2 and P5 line looks simply amazing. I'm impressed by this particular disclaimer..."Statement P2 and P5 amplifiers are stable into any impedance down to a short circuit at full output." (Not that they are inexpensive either)

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/Products/P_Series/Specifications/P_Specs.html
The P2 and P5 amps from Anthem are very formidable and easily match Bryston's output abilities. Now if they only had Bryston's industry leading 20 year warranty. ;)

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
Great place to shop in La

The P2 and P5 amps from Anthem are very formidable and easily match Bryston's output abilities. Now if they only had Bryston's industry leading 20 year warranty. ;)
Anybody know of a good brick and mortar Anthem store somewhere in the Los Angeles area. Driving is certainly not an issue.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Keep in mind that Anthem / Paradigm only lists the dealers closest to you, so If you need to find more of them, you need to type in different zipcodes...

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
Keep in mind that Anthem / Paradigm only lists the dealers closest to you, so If you need to find more of them, you need to type in different zipcodes...
Thanks for everybody's help. So far I have found a dealer willing to part with one for 6K. I'm gonna keep on looking.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis