Looking for Electrostatic or Ribbon Tweeter Speakers

braminator

braminator

Junior Audioholic
I am looking for a set of Stereo speakers with either an electrostatic panel or ribbon tweeter. I listen to Classic Rock and Metal most of the time. I was thinking eithr Martin Logans or BG's.

Any other suggestions?

1st hand knowledge form any users?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
If you can find local dealers, I would add Aurum Cantus and Magenpan to your list of speakers to audition. I have some Aurum Cantus speakers and love them. One of my brothers has some Magnepan speakers, and he loves them (they are great). I personally prefer both of these to the choices you have mentioned (I own some BG speakers, too), but, of course, others have different preferences.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I've heard that there are a few good Magnapan dealers in your area. What's keeping you from taking a drive to one of them? They both carry many other brands as well.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Onix speakers

The higher end Onix Reference line from av123.com include a ribbon ERT (extended response tweeter) and might be worth a demo.
AV123.com also has the strata mini in the works which has a ribbon upper range but a ship date hasn't been anounced and the first several shipments are already spoken for.
Finally, for the ultimate 2 channel system, check out their upcomming line source speakers in the $2-3k range. They will include 8-12 drivers and an array of ribbon tweeters on each speaker.

braminator

braminator

Junior Audioholic
I have found Bohlender-Graebener Z-7's brand new for $499. z-5's for 69.99 and z-1's for 149.00.

What I am really after is the Z-7's for a stereo set up with a M&K powered sub.

Does anyone have and or use them?

I can get Aurum Cantus Leisure 2 SE with stands bran new for 750.00. I listen to Classic Rock and Metal. How will these or the BG's do for this kind of music.?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
braminator said:
I have found Bohlender-Graebener Z-7's brand new for $499. z-5's for 69.99 and z-1's for 149.00.

What I am really after is the Z-7's for a stereo set up with a M&K powered sub.

Does anyone have and or use them?

I can get Aurum Cantus Leisure 2 SE with stands bran new for 750.00. I listen to Classic Rock and Metal. How will these or the BG's do for this kind of music.?
The Aurum Cantus Leisure 2 SE speaker works well for classic rock. I don't tend to listen to metal, so I probably am not the person to ask, but I expect that they would work for that too.

I should mention that there are different versions of the Aurum Cantus speakers around; the U.S. versions are the best (the others can be had for less, and are still quite good). See:

http://www.kellsieavdesign.com/Speakers.htm

(Although the site above sells the U.S. version, most of the reviews are for the lessor "export" versions, as, for example, the U.S. version is not generally available for the British magazines to review.)

In the case of the Leisure 2 SE, the U.S. version is slightly more efficient (probably due to differences in the crossover), has flatter, deeper bass (due to the different port and different internal acoustic insulation), and the midrange (due to differences in the crossover) is said to be better. The finish on the cabinet is supposed to be better on the U.S. version, but they have improved the finish on the "export" version, so perhaps that is no longer true. The basic cabinet design is the same for both, as are the drivers (except for the dust cap on the woofer being different for the U.S. version). The model made for the Chinese market uses different drivers and a different cabinet, and should probably be called a different model (I expect it is decent, though I have never heard it, so I obviously cannot be sure). You really can't go wrong with either the U.S. or the "export" version (i.e., the version not made for the Chinese market, but made for everywhere else except the U.S.), but the U.S. version is a little better, and costs a little more.

Given the price you mention, I would expect that you are talking about the "export" version, and would be a good price. If it is the U.S. version, then it would be an exceptional deal, and if the Chinese version, you can do better.

Edited to add comments in italics:

It seems that Kellsie & Aurum Cantus have come out with yet another version of the Leisure 2 SE, which is the U.S. Signature version:

http://www.kellsieavdesign.com/products/Leisure2SE.htm

I cannot tell you what is different about it, though it is even more expensive than the regular U.S. version. You will want to contact the above web site for information on what is different about it, if you have the money for such speakers.

I have different BG speakers than you are talking about, so I cannot comment on them directly. But the ones I have (both more expensive and less expensive than the Aurum Cantus Leisure 2 SE U.S. version) are inferior to the Aurum Cantus in sound quality and build quality. And the Aurum Cantus speakers are exceptionally beautiful to look at. The pictures online do not do them justice.

Last edited:
braminator

braminator

Junior Audioholic
What other might be recommended for 2 channel only in the $1k-1500.00 range?

J

jewel5

Audiophyte
I was curious to hear ribbon tweeters, so I picked up a pair of Aurum Cantus AC-782s(William Schaeffer model) brand new off ebay, tjey didn't impress me much hooked up to my Carver integrated amp, but when I hooked them to my Nad amp/Adcom pre, they blew me away!! I listen mainly to rock/metal, acoustic, everything except orchestral, and these speakers sound fantastic and handle it all with ease. The ribbon tweeter is so detailed, and from one midbass driver, I'm still amazed at how fast and deep the bass hits. The soundstage is very wide on my setup, and the speakers just disappear and let you enjoy the music, it makes your cds sound so much livelier than I've ever experienced before, very 3D sounding. I know Ohio Valley Audio redesigns these speakers and sells them, if you live nearby, I would suggest you give them a listen. They easily best all the other speakers I own, I am now hooked on ribbons, with no going back!:D There's a review that Six Moons did on them you can check out. Good Luck with your search!:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis