Looking for Book Shelf Speaker recommendations for under $300

A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
Originally planned to go with tower speakers, but now I am debating going with bookshelf speakers. They would mainly be used for HT. I do not want to spend more than $300 for the book shelves and then approximately $200 for a center channel.

My setup so far is:

Yamaha rx-673V AVR
NHT Superzero 2.0 Surrounds

Sub will be either the Rythmik LV-12R or the Outlaw LFM-1 EX.

I would want to mount to the side of my projection screen using something like the mounts here so they can not be rear ported:

Amazon.com: VideoSecu One Pair of Side Clamping Speaker Mounting Bracket with Tilt and Swivel for Large Surrounding Sound Speakers MS56B 3LH: Computers & Accessories

I do not want to place book shelf units on the sides of my projection screen so these are the type of mounts I would prefer.

Thanks evervyone.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A lot of guys like the Arx A1s, and those are $300. The Ascend CBM170s are $330 shipped at the moment. One of my favs are the Behringer 2031p monitors, and those are $220 a pair at the moment. There is no dedicated center, so you would have to buy another one individually for that. You can get a Hsu LCR setup for $600 shipped. By the way, you can use rear ported speakers with those mounts, those will not affect their performance. You just don't want to mount a rear ported speaker with its back flush to the wall.

A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
ShadyJ,

What is your opinion of the HTD Level Two's or Level Three's? $328 and $500 respectively for book shelves and center channel.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Zaph 5.2's and 5.3 center at Madisound for 490.00 plus shipping. Great speakers for the $.
They take about 2 hrs to assemble with no special tools or skill.
or you can wait until I upgrade next month an buy these for less :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
ShadyJ,

What is your opinion of the HTD Level Two's or Level Three's? $328 and $500 respectively for book shelves and center channel.
I think they might not be bad. I don't see anything wrong with them. They may be comparable to the other speakers I mentioned.

A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
IMG_0156.jpg

My space in screen area is 15' x 24' then it opens up to a another space half that size. Question is would towers be better in this large of an area verse book shelf speakers?

Total cubic space of theater area is approximately 3,000 feet.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Zaph 5.2's and 5.3 center at Madisound for 490.00 plus shipping. Great speakers for the $.
They take about 2 hrs to assemble with no special tools or skill.
or you can wait until I upgrade next month an buy these for less :)
The Zaph kits look like great bargains, however the cabinets for the 5.2s do not seem to be available anymore. However, the 5.3 MTM and center cabinet kits are still available. That would offer terrific performance for the price. That would be my first choice at this price level.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
In your price range I would be looking at the Wharfedale diamond 10.1's or if you can put up with the black vinyl look the ascend cbm170's.... Although both are a little over your budget...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My space in screen area is 15' x 24' then it opens up to a another space half that size. Question is would towers be better in this large of an area verse book shelf speakers?

Towers would not necessarily be better. You will want a good sub though, preferably two. For speakers, you will just want something that is capable above 80 Hz. Another factor is, how loud do you intend to listen? If not loud, than something as diminutive as NHT zeros or Cambridge s30s will work. If you like a more thrilling experience, go for something which more punch. The Zaphs might be a bit more able here. The Hsus definitely are. The Behringers likely are. The Arx should work well in this respect as well.

If you want something really capable and can do a bit of woodwork assembly, look at some of the SEOS kits available, those will be on a whole other level than anything else mentioned here.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like the Aperion Intimus line is on sale right now. A pair of 4Bs and a 4C would come in below your budget. If you could squeeze in 5Bs and maybe pick up a B-stock center, I'd probably opt for the larger speaker.

Aperion Intimus Speakers | Aperion Audio

EMP has the E5Bi and E5Ci that would also be below your budget

http://emptek.com/index.php

Both of them have a pretty friendly 30 day in home trial option too.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Rethinking what I said, the Behringers, while fantastic speakers at their current price, would not be a great choice. They are relatively low impedance speakers and are also just too big and heavy for the mounts you want to use. Scratch the Behringer 2031ps. The Behringer 2030p, on the other hand, do not have those disadvantages.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Rethinking what I said, the Behringers, while fantastic speakers at their current price, would not be a great choice. They are relatively low impedance speakers and are also just too big and heavy for the mounts you want to use. Scratch the Behringer 2031ps. The Behringer 2030p, on the other hand, do not have those disadvantages.
There is no matching center for the Behringers either, which means you have to either buy another pair to get one for a center or find a place that will sell one.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
View attachment 12584

Personally I don't see how a $300 budget bookshelf/tower pair speakers, along with a $200 center, is going to be able to fill that size room with acceptable sound for you, even with a great sub like the Rythmik or Outlaw. But then again it's not my ears or wallet we're trying to keep happy here, is it? :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Speakers have less demand than a sub to fill an area like that, but I'd still go with a more sensitive speaker depending on the amplification. My room is bigger than that, I run bookshelf speakers and they have no problem filling it :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There is no matching center for the Behringers either, which means you have to either buy another pair to get one for a center or find a place that will sell one.
There are vendors which sell them individually.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Speakers have less demand than a sub to fill an area like that, but I'd still go with a more sensitive speaker depending on the amplification. My room is bigger than that, I run bookshelf speakers and they have no problem filling it :)
Maybe for a movie and that's a big maybe, especially for clear dialogue. But I'm also assuming that it will be occasionally used for music and to me it doesn't seem like it would compute. I'm the King of Cheap but at some point you either wait till you have the ducats or browse the local Craig's List every day until something better comes along.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You can get a pair of Cambridge S70 towers - and a pair of S30 bookshelf speakers, and use one as a center channel.

The S30 bookshelf will play below 70hz and is not a wimp.

Good prices here
Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices!

The HTD Level Two and Three speakers are also good choices - however, I prefer the Cambridge sound over them.

Also look at the Boston A26 bookshelf - you can buy 3 for $300 and use one as a center.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSA26GBA/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-A26-2-Way-6.5in-Bookshelf-Speaker-Each-Gloss-Black/1.html

Last edited:
A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
How do the S70's compare to the Pioneer FS52's or the Infinity Primus P363? I have little knowledge of the Cambridge speakers. Also what about the S50 center channel?

I also see on that same site they have some Boston Acoustic A250's refurbished within my budget

Last edited:
J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
Just as a note HTD level three's are currently unavailable due to a tweeter issue.

BigJoeXXL

BigJoeXXL

Audioholic Intern
How do the S70's compare to the Pioneer FS52's or the Infinity Primus P363? I have little knowledge of the Cambridge speakers. Also what about the S50 center channel?

I also see on that same site they have some Boston Acoustic A250's refurbished within my budget
+1 on how they compare? I've been searching for some new speakers for my father around the same budget.

I passed down my P363s to my father whenever I upgraded to EMPs. He's using the P363s in the living room though. I do know whatever speakers I decide for his bedroom I want them better than P363s. Just trying to impress the old man.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis