Looking for best bookshelf speakers to actually sit in bookshelf

B

BLars

Audiophyte
I am looking for advice on speaker selections for the front left, right, and center speakers that, due to room configurations, MUST actually sit within established bookshelf cabinetry. I realize this is not ideal, but due to picture windows being present on one wall and cabinetry on the remaining walls, it is what it is. The room is our family room and is approximately 20' X 20' in dimension, but is open to the kitchen which is also approximately 20' X 20'. A Samsung LED has been mounted over the fireplace (also not ideal) which is open to the family room and kitchen. The wall to the left and right of the television (where to left and right speakers will sit) has built-in bookshelf cabinetry with adjustable shelving.
I would like to find speakers that function well for both a 5.1 audiovisual set-up and for quality (and sometimes fairly loud) music enjoyment. I am using a Marantz 6011 AV Receiver to drive the speakers. I understand that since all 3 speakers will be in very close proximity to the wall, the speakers may have to be ported to the front or, possibly, not ported at all. I also understand that I will likely need a subwoofer to handle the lower frequencies for my room arrangement.
I am looking for quality speakers that I can truly enjoy and be proud of their sound and appearance.
My budget for the left, center, and right speakers is $5,000. This is a lot of money for anyone. If I can do it for less, great! But, I am ready to pony up if I need to.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You should be looking at sealed (acoustic suspension) or front ported speakers.

That's big budget, just how good do you really want or need for home theater? Will they be used for music too? Right now you can get KEF Q series bookshelf (Q100 or Q300) for L-R and they are both front ported. The matching Q200c or Q600c center speakers are sealed. All are on sale fairly cheap. Q100 $300 a pair, Q300 $400 a pair, Q200c $400 each, Q600c $500 each. Matching di-pole surrounds and floorstanders also available.

Step up to high end and build in or build sealed boxes for the Ci3160RL-THX ($1800 each) or Ci4160RL-THX ($3,000 each.)

There's one maker, there are plenty more and all over the map of pricing and performance.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
As has been said, any bookshelf speaker will suffer from being closed off in a space like that. That being the case, I would get controlled directivity speakers, they will be less harmed from diffraction from nearby surfaces than other designs. I wouldn't worry about rear porting vs front porting or anything like that unless the enclosure that the speakers are placed in make them a very tight fit. Speakers from KEF using the Uni-Q drivers would be good because of their controlled dispersion. Klipsch speakers might be good. Hsu speakers would be fine. The new ELAC speakers should work relatively well in these situations. As has been said, there is no sense in buying expensive speakers since their sound will be compromised, but that doesn't mean the setup is going to sound terrible, it just means the speakers will not be sounding their best.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The original PSB Alphas were designed to be put on/in bookshelves and their sound improved as such. The good news is that one can easily purchase these speakers used in good condition for relatively cheap.

B

BLars

Audiophyte
Heighth and width are not the issue here. The shelving can be moved to adjust for a speaker of any height.
The maximum width is 19 inches. Not a problem.
The shelving is only 11 inches deep. Here lies the problem.
I greatly appreciate your assistance.

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
I have my asbestos suit ready...

I suggest you try a pair of Klipsch RB-61ii's, currently $330 a pair. Front-ported, 6.5" LF & 1" Ti compression-horn HF, 100W RMS, 95 dB SPL, 8 Ohm. I have their 8" LF driver 'big brother', the RB-81ii's, and they fit - angled inward - on my <12" deep shelves with <2" extreme overhang. The CC speaker, an RC-62ii, is also $330 - and large - containing two front-ported 6.5" LF drivers and a 1" Ti compression horn HF. You can buy a second pair of RB-61ii's for rears and still have 'just' a kilobuck expended - leaving you enough for a sub-woofer. Order them from Klipsch - they have shipping and a 30 day return policy. Note: I have the next size up speakers in bookcases in my office stereo and they sound great - to me - with their clear highs and decent bass, which negated the need for my sub, so I removed it. I drive my RB-81ii's with an Emotiva a-100 mini-X, a 50 WPC amp - added to the high sensitivity/SPL of the Klipsch, that's more than enough for my 11' x 12' x 9' room. BTW, according to Klipsch, the LF rolloff (-3dB) is 45 Hz for the RB-61ii and a whole Hz lower for my larger model - not worth it! Just a suggestion...

B

BLars

Audiophyte
Thanks so much for the recommendations! I have fished all the low voltage wiring and have electrical supply established. I am doing my research on the recommended equipment. I am really looking forward to completing the audio side in the room. Thanks again.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
It’s years late, but I own three of the 770/R. They will not be replaced. With the AMT tweeter, they are breathtaking.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis