Looking for an upgrade from Ascend Sierra 1s

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Sierra 2EX isn’t a very large tower how does it compare to bigger ones like chane 703 or Klipch 8000? And wharfadale evo etc
wish I could afford something that nice but probably wouldn’t make a big difference watching tv with its mediocre sound quality.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Sierra 2EX isn’t a very large tower how does it compare to bigger ones like chane 703 or Klipch 8000? And wharfadale evo etc
wish I could afford something that nice but probably wouldn’t make a big difference watching tv with its mediocre sound quality.
2EX is not a tower, it is a larger bookshelf.
Even TV sound improves a lot thru a decent speaker.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for all the suggestions, the Philharmonic BHR is intriguing. I believe I've caught wind of it before but never read in to it. That and the Sierra 2EX are leading the pack for me right now.

Also, sadly the cabinet was the casualty on my Sierra 1s. They're tanks, but if I'm going to upgrade I think I'll just go all in :)
The good news is, both of your choices are excellent. I own Sierra 2s and Sierra ribbon towers and I just love them. However, for the budget I'd have a hard time not choosing the BMR. I can't think of another speaker I've heard so much good about.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd guess the NHT C3 would be more a lateral move....at least it wouldn't tempt me to change my Sierra-1s out.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Would the NHT C3 be considered an upgrade?
Why not spring for the EX upgrade kit? I think the RAAL tweets had a big hand in winning me over. Just wanting to try something different?

M

mdinno

Junior Audioholic
Why not spring for the EX upgrade kit? I think the RAAL tweets had a big hand in winning me over. Just wanting to try something different?
Well, you're talking at least an extra $800 over the C3 for the Domestic cabinets. Pretty big chunk of change. Just saying. Are they that much better?

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Digging up this old thread to say that I've got curved cabinet Philharmonic BMRs on order that should be arriving this week.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I highly recommend Triad Speakers. Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and metal (cat-proof) grills to match the paint on your walls. In addition to InRoom speakers, Triad has In-Wall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for spaces in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company has speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker.

While not a household name, Triad is a favorite of custom installers and has won numerous industry awards. The company is also a prototype partner for Dolby, helping to design speaker systems for immersive audio. Most recently, Triad Gold Monitor speakers won Best of Show at the 2019 CEDIA Expo in Denver.

Take a look at the Silver LCR: https://triadspeakers.com/products/home-cinema/inroom/ir-silver-lcr/

Regards,
Dawn

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Digging up this old thread to say that I've got curved cabinet Philharmonic BMRs on order that should be arriving this week.
Those are likely a step or half-step above the Sierra 1, likely on par and/or a personal preference when compared to the Sierra 2 (I believe the BMR nad the S2 share the same tweeter).

Are these just in-stock at Philharmonic now? Last I looked, they pretty much just sell out as soon (or before) a new shipment arrives.

I have a set of DIY BMRs (and a set of a previous iteration of the Philharmonitor / Alexis Sound BS)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Those are likely a step or half-step above the Sierra 1, likely on par and/or a personal preference when compared to the Sierra 2 (I believe the BMR nad the S2 share the same tweeter).

Are these just in-stock at Philharmonic now? Last I looked, they pretty much just sell out as soon (or before) a new shipment arrives.

I have a set of DIY BMRs (and a set of a previous iteration of the Philharmonitor / Alexis Sound BS)
Dennis doesn’t really order in to hold stick. He and his partner take preorders, though sometimes they end up with a few pairs unsold.
@D Murphy … what’s the word on the upcoming delivery… any extras?

to the other question, the S2 is closer to the BMR, but you are comparing a 2-way in the S2 to a 3-way in the BMR. IIRC, the S2 is tuned higher, also.
On the other hand, comparisons have long been made between the BMRs and the Sierra Towers. In that, the BMR will have the edge on near-perfect wide dispersion, but the ST will play louder.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Dennis doesn’t really order in to hold stick. He and his partner take preorders, though sometimes they end up with a few pairs unsold.

to the other question, the S2 is closer to the BMR, but you are comparing a 2-way in the S2 to a 3-way in the BMR. IIRC, the S2 is tuned higher, also.
On the other hand, comparisons have long been made between the BMRs and the Sierra Towers. In that, the BMR will have the edge on near-perfect wide dispersion, but the ST will play louder.
Fair points on 2 vs. 3-way designs, and 3 way in a BS speaker is fairly rare.

I haven't heard any Ascend speaker yet.

I am also completely sold on the BMR driver. First I heard it was in a Cambridge Aeromax, where it served as both mid and tweet, and I thought it sounded very good in that application. A very modern driver that happens to have a very reasonable price.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I highly recommend Triad Speakers. Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and metal (cat-proof) grills to match the paint on your walls. In addition to InRoom speakers, Triad has In-Wall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for spaces in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company has speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker.

While not a household name, Triad is a favorite of custom installers and has won numerous industry awards. The company is also a prototype partner for Dolby, helping to design speaker systems for immersive audio. Most recently, Triad Gold Monitor speakers won Best of Show at the 2019 CEDIA Expo in Denver.

Take a look at the Silver LCR: https://triadspeakers.com/products/home-cinema/inroom/ir-silver-lcr/

Regards,
Dawn
Eventually I am going to be looking to overhaul the surround sound system too, and those will probably be something I consider.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General

Sheer loudness isn't generally a concern, I fully expect the BMRs to happily play to the levels I find satisfactory in the room and at the distance I'll be seated. Hopefully I'll get to find out very soon though, waiting for that ship notification.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General

As far as stock goes, they don't hold any. I had emailed Dennis months ago and was supposed to be in the April batch, if I recall. I got bumped up to the January group due to a cancellation.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Sheer loudness isn't generally a concern, I fully expect the BMRs to happily play to the levels I find satisfactory in the room and at the distance I'll be seated. Hopefully I'll get to find out very soon though, waiting for that ship notification.
I agree, My Philharmonic Audio experience has been phenomenal, and I haven't found myself wishing I could eek out an extra 3dB anywhere.
Plus, the newer BMRs have the upgraded 64-10x which should allow them a little more headroom than the "classic" 64-10 my older BMRs are sporting.

The BMRs are truly a great Speaker. I found them to easily compete against towers at $6000/pair and then some.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I'm definitely excited for them. Could have gone with towers or something, but practically speaking, and for the price, the BMR 'bookshelf' speakers were too intriguing to pass on.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Eventually I am going to be looking to overhaul the surround sound system too, and those will probably be something I consider.
When you are ready, I'll be happy to help and make recommendations based on your room configuration.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
When you are ready, I'll be happy to help and make recommendations based on your room configuration.
Appreciate it, if I remember that I posted this here and don't just start a new thread in a year or two if I'm unable to make a decision or find answers that I'm happy with. :D

I probably will be a bit more economical with my home theater speaker selection, but time will tell.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis