looking for advice on mono channel power amplifiers

P

panzeroceania

Junior Audioholic
what would you guys say are the best mono channel power amps out there?

with the ever increasing amount of channels due to surround, as well as people biamping and the like, it just seems to make more sense to have lots of mono channel amps than to try to pack a bunch of amps into one little box.

Any suggestions?

For now I'm actually going to be using them for a 2 channel hi-fi setup for music.

Any advice helps, thanks.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
It all depends how much money you are willing to spend.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm thinking Bryston, Mark Levinson, McIntosh, Marantz Reference, Krell.:D

If you can't afford those, then Outlaw or Emotiva.:D

I would recommend ATI, but they don't make monoblocks; they only make 2ch or multichannel.:D

You can also get those professional bridgeable stereo amps like the Behringer EP2000, which when bridged gives you 1,000 watts into 8 ohms. Two of those will cost you $600.

Last edited:
P

panzeroceania

Junior Audioholic
It all depends how much money you are willing to spend.
I'm pretty open minded to hear about anything if it's truly good, but right now I'm looking for two monoblocks for $1000-$2000 so about $500-$1000 per block.

I'm very open to hearing about amps above that price range also though as I like to be thourough in research.

I'm also willing to hear about cheaper ones if they are truly great. That's the important part.

EDIT:

The Emotiva XPA-1 is looking good for the stereo hi-fi setup, at $849 a block, the UPA-1 looks better for trying to stack in a multi-channel environment at $299 per block

both of them have balanced inputs which is a must for me, very good stuff.

Last edited:
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
By "truly great", what, precisely, do you have in mind? The ability to drive very low impedances? Very high power? Something that appeals to those who believe in magic in their equipment?

In general, it does not make more sense to buy mono power amps instead of amplifiers with more channels, as it usually costs more for the same level of quality to have all of one's amplifiers in separate boxes. This is due to a couple of factors, one being the economics of scale (basically, the more of a particular amplifier coming off of an assembly line, the cheaper it is per amplifier, as the amount of cost of each amplifier for setting up the assembly line is less due to the setup cost being dividing among them all, plus of course the purchase of the parts to make them [resisters, diodes, whatever] is cheaper per item when done in high bulk). And more power amps are made with 2 channels than there are mono power amps, so this means that you won't have to pay as much for equivalent 2 channel power amps. Another reason is that with mono power amps, one is paying for a box for each channel, instead of one box for more than one channel. The same idea applies to other things, like the power cord, etc. In other words, it takes more resources to make a pair of mono power amplifiers than a 2 channel power amp of the exact same level of quality, and those extra resources are going to add to the cost of the unit.

Additionally, having your equipment in more boxes means that it takes up more space in your home, and for most people, having 7 boxes just for power amplifiers would not be desirable.

Now, if you have money to burn, and consequently a house large enough to accommodate whatever you want to buy to put in it, none of these considerations will matter to you. But it is likely putting extra money into the equipment without getting an actual benefit in the sound quality.

My best power amp (in my opinion; people who believe in magical equipment would pick a different amplifier of mine that is a design that appeals to such people) is a Crown K2, which, unfortunately, is not made anymore. I use it to drive a pair of Apogee Stage speakers. It is more powerful than I need, and it is good with low impedances. If they were still made, I would suggest getting one of them at the price point you are considering.

Getting back to your question as asked, if I were looking for mono amplifiers in your price range, I would seriously consider:

Emotiva Audio XPA-1 Differential Referenceâ„¢ Mono-block Power Amplifier

You can read a review of a lesser 2 channel amplifier from them at this site:

Emotiva XPA-2 Two Channel Amplifier Review — Reviews and News from Audioholics

However, the manufacturer does not recommend them for 2 ohm loads, so whether you would want to consider them or not depends on the speakers you are planning to use with them. For seriously low impedances at your price point, you probably want to be looking at professional amplifiers, particularly if you want a lot of power.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja

EDIT:

The Emotiva XPA-1 is looking good for the stereo hi-fi setup, at $849 a block, the UPA-1 looks better for trying to stack in a multi-channel environment at $299 per block

both of them have balanced inputs which is a must for me, very good stuff.

Instead of a pair of UPA-1 amplifiers, it would be better (at the current sale prices) to get the UPA-2 for only $101 more:

Emotiva Audio XPA-2 Two Channel Power Amplifier

Except, of course, when moving it, as a 75 pound box is harder to deal with than a pair of smaller 26 pound boxes. That, by the way, is one of the reasons for very high end power amps to be mono, as the size and weight would otherwise get out of hand. But with lesser units, the size and weight are still manageable with putting more than one channel into one box, as in this case.

However, if you do not require the additional capabilities of the XPA-2, it would be $101 extra that you do not really need to spend. In most cases, there is really no need to go above the UPA-2, which would save even more money:

Emotiva Audio UPA-2 Two Channel Power Amplifier

And if we were discussing a multichannel setup, decent receivers are adequate for most speakers used in such setups (as in my case; I use different speakers for my surround system than for my main 2 channel system), and so in such cases, most of the time, it is better to not bother with a separate power amplifier at all.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I went with (2)Denon POA-2200 2-channel old-school used amps in a vertical bi-amp configuration. Very pleased. It's all about what's available.

There are two current auctions for Denon POA-4400 mono-blocks at the moment. Old-school POA amps were made in Japan, and they don't make them anymore. Truly exceptional options for the money.

Looks like they are good for 160W@8ohm/250W@4ohm each.

denon poa 4400 | eBay

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis