Looking for advice on a replacement receiver for ailing Denon 4310 CI

J

Jamester23

Enthusiast
My first post on here so take it easy lads and ladies. Been a lurker for many years, lots of amazing people on here with great advice!

I have a Denon 4310 CI (was close to their flagship when I bought it in '05) that has the front right channel going bad (crackles at some frequencies). It's only pushing three speakers but I like to pump up the sound. My speakers are L&R B&W 683 S2s and the matching center. SW is a Velodyne DSL. I don't have rears right now due to a dropped ceiling and the room size (rear channels would overwhelm and the install looks to be a pain in the butt I haven't decided to do yet).

Here is a link to the Denon's specs. 130 watts X7. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-T7RNJwToBwX/p_033AV4310C/Denon-AVR-4310CI.html

I'd like any recommendations for a new receiver with a similar amount of power. Around $1250 is my budget. I use all 6 HDMI ins. I need something with good video processing and can work off wifi for updates and snagging inputs (ideally bluetooth but I don't know if thats a thing).

Any thoughts? Personal brands of preference are Denon and Yamaha but open to anything.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd rather spend few bucks to fix it. I recently spend whole whooping $5 to fix my (even older than yours) Onkyo TX-SR805 avr display issue and about $90 to fix my old Panasonic plasma tv (AVR needed replacement resistors, while TV needed IC chip replacement, so most of cost went for board service by 3rd party)
All the troubleshooting were done from internet forums or youtube videos. I'm not a EE and I'd never figure it out myself, besides obvious stuff like leaky caps or burned parts.

also According to Sterephoole:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/bowers-wilkins-683-s2-loudspeaker-measurements
Your speakers sensitivity is not much - 87db combined with 2.9ohm minimum impedance (I'd call it 4 nominal) and with your occasional desire "to pump up the sound":
I Think you need a external amp, at least a 3 channel one
Make sure it's rated for 2 ohm and have at least 200w clean power or more.

Here's an idea: Get this amp from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Crown-XLS1002-Two-channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B011TI97VE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493150353&sr=8-2&keywords=crown+xls+1502

You'll have 30 days return window - don't worry it's light so return shipping won't kill you.
Use your avr pre-outs to power the mains and see if you like what you hear.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If it is for sure the internal amps going, I'd go with an external amp. If it has any other issues that might indicate something wrong with one of the main boards and I'd probably get a new one for the newer versions of Audessey. Maybe a 3300 or 4300.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How did you determine it was the avr amp making the crackling sound? (Just to be sure)

I like the external amp idea if all else is working for you, altho I'd go to the Crown 1502 model for better snr and a bit more power for few additional $.

J

Jamester23

Enthusiast
How did you determine it was the avr amp making the crackling sound? (Just to be sure)

I like the external amp idea if all else is working for you, altho I'd go to the Crown 1502 model for better snr and a bit more power for few additional $.
Because I replaced the speakers after telling wife they were blown as an excuse to get new ones and the same issue remained still on the right side with the new speakers. It happens on all different sources so the process of elimination says the right channel amp is just going.

I've never run a second amp with a receiver. If I wanted to, what would be the right way to do that? How do I get the amps power to the receiver who then I guess would take the power and send it to speakers?

Ideally, I;d get a new one as tech has changed immensely (video processing, bluetooth, hdmi versions, etc).

J

Jamester23

Enthusiast
Keep in mind, we watch a lot of movies, tv, etc. So whatever I replace the Denon with will need to do well for that. I'll add rears soon so it needs to be a solid AV receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Because I replaced the speakers after telling wife they were blown as an excuse to get new ones and the same issue remained still on the right side with the new speakers. It happens on all different sources so the process of elimination says the right channel amp is just going.

I've never run a second amp with a receiver. If I wanted to, what would be the right way to do that? How do I get the amps power to the receiver who then I guess would take the power and send it to speakers?

Ideally, I;d get a new one as tech has changed immensely (video processing, bluetooth, hdmi versions, etc).
Your avr has a set of pre-outs you'd use with external amps, simply connect some rca cables between the avr and amp, and your speaker wire from amp to your L/R speakers and re-run Audyssey....easy to do.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The easiest way to tell if it is that channel for sure is to switch the wires to the opposite sides. Since new speakers do the same, you have determined it is that side and most likely that channel.

When using an external amp, your receiver's amps are not used. Receiver feeds signal only to the amp and that signal is amplified and fed to the speakers.

J

Jamester23

Enthusiast
Your avr has a set of pre-outs you'd use with external amps, simply connect some rca cables between the avr and amp, and your speaker wire from amp to your L/R speakers and re-run Audyssey....easy to do.
Yeah, I really like the amenities the new receiver would offer. Love the advice but I'll take out the old receiver get it fixed and sell it. What new receiver should I select?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I really like the amenities the new receiver would offer. Love the advice but I'll take out the old receiver get it fixed and sell it. What new receiver should I select?
I'd also look at the Denon 3300/4300 as suggested (and they both have pre-outs to keep your amplification options open).

J

Jamester23

Enthusiast
Anybody have any recommendations on a Marantz, or Yamaha?

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I just replaced my 4310 with a 4300h. Only had it about a week, but everything is going well. I was getting a very load screech from the speakers periodically. For my unit, the senior techs at the local HT store suspected it to be either the processing board or the HDMI board. The challenge being the parts are not readily available to replace if I wanted to get it fixed.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just replaced my 4310 with a 4300h. Only had it about a week, but everything is going well. I was getting a very load screech from the speakers periodically. For my unit, the senior techs at the local HT store suspected it to be either the processing board or the HDMI board. The challenge being the parts are not readily available to replace if I wanted to get it fixed.
Why wouldn't they just give you a new unit? Screw repairs at one week....

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
sorry - was not clear...my 6-yr old 4310 was producing a screech...rather than get it repaired I bought a AVR-X4300h.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
sorry - was not clear...my 6-yr old 4310 was producing a screech...rather than get it repaired I bought a AVR-X4300h.
LOL I coulda scrolled up, too :) The way you wrote it sounded like the new unit was having issues....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The X4300H is actually quite comparable to the Marantz SR7011 for a lot less money if one has no use of the 7.1 analog input that the SR7011 offers. Marantz has the HDAMs, but to me that's doesn't result in audible sound quality improvements. Same DACs, probably very similar preamp, amp section and even the power supplies. The back plate layout similarities indicate potentially a lot of synergy has taken place between the two product lines.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis