Looking for advice on a DIY entertainment center

O

Odb718

Audiophyte
This is my first post. I'm extremely uneducated in almost everything audio.
But that didn't stop me from building a speaker box / entertainment center. The pic below is VERY unfinished. Hopefully when everything works I'll be able to make a full post with build pics and set up.

I just wanted advice on how to hook up the 12 speakers to my receiver.
Each side will have 6,
a 12"
a 10"
a 7"
a 6"
and two 2"

I have the whole installation set in place how I thought it would be best for what I have...

I have a Pioneer VSX-522 K receiver I got for crazy cheap. (it's actually still new in the box waiting)
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-522-K

and 2 Radio Shack 3 way crossovers 40-1299a
http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/doc14/14371.htm

The entertainment center has a top I've built and it will be covered in basic mesh fabric like most speakers.

My question is what order should I connect the speakers to the crossover??? (IF I should)

My original thought was to have the tweeters be one line, and the 6" be "tweeter #2"
the 7" and 10" would be my mids
and the 12" would be the sub

I got ALL of the speakers, and THEN, the crossovers for free. I'm 99% sure the 10" aren't build to be sub-woofers.
Could I use points A & B for my single 12" speaker? Would it receive too much power/electricity??
The receiver has a spot for the sub so should I run it directly to the Pioneer and reorganize the crossover???
If I hook up the 12" to the receiver, does that mean it wont pump out the bass to the crossover so I should just focus on the 4 mid/tweet channels anyway?
I'm not even sure if this crossover would/should be the one to use with these speakers and receiver. Like I said I'm a total noob.

The wood, speakers, all the way up to the receiver cost me $140. I'm just trying to make the best with what I got and hope someone would help me accomplish that. Any help is greatly appreciated!

R

roadrune

Audioholic
What are you trying to achieve here?

Something that just makes sound, or something that actually sounds good?

O

Odb718

Audiophyte
Well hopefully sounds good.As good as it can be for what I've got.

R

roadrune

Audioholic
Then i would have to say that i think this is a deadend.

To get a good result you have to calculate the cabinet for each driver, and also the crossovers, which my guess would be a separate crossoverpoint for each different driver, and also a separate chamber for each driver, isolated from the others.

That said, i am no speaker designer, but what you have started does not look promising to me.

O

Odb718

Audiophyte
I'm just trying to get the best sound I can get out of this set up.
Is there a basic guide to using crossovers?
I mean I dont think twisting up the 6 positive wires and the 6 negatives up and putting them on the receiver's surround channels would be the best way to do things.
I just need the most basic info at this point I guess.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis