Looking for a sub for my Audioengine A5+

B

booxcar

Enthusiast
Hello all!

This is my first time posting so excuse me if I seem like a total noob! I've searched around this forum and found a couple other threads that are very similar but they were a little outdated so I wanted to ask again. I own a pair of Audioengine A5+ speakers which I fell in love with immediately. I am now looking for a sub to really kick the sound to the next level. I mainly use my setup for music (listening and recording) and I use my M-Audio Fast Track as an external DAC... I use the Fast Track mainly cause I had it lying around for recording and it seems to work well with the A5+'s. I dunno how much this matters but I listen mainly to metal or deep house and trance. My room is a normal size room with a very high ceiling but I bring the speakers out to the living room (which also has high ceilings) for when we have people over, which is often. I did have a friend that recommended the Yamaha HS10W and I do realize that I will have to modify the connections to get it to work with my system... I am pretty new to audio hardware so in terms of compatibility... I have no idea how sub will work with my speakers! What do you guys think about the Yamaha sub? Does it work with my setup? Also, which other subs would you recommend?

Thanks,
boox

B

booxcar

Enthusiast
just wanted to clarify that by high celings, i mean about 15'... I was looking around local ads and found a SVS PB10 for $375... how is this for my setup (too small?)

Last edited:
J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
I just checked out a review of the pb10-nsd and it didn't have any crossover controls, and neither do your A5s or Fast Track as far as I can tell from a quick scan of their info pages. That would make it difficult to blend the sub with the speakers.

This is the review of the pb10-nsd I found - Product Review

It also states the msrp of $429 back in 2004. So I'm not sure if it's that great a deal. Not sure if that's the exact model of the sub so my info could be wrong.

Can you elaborate on 'normal size'? Also budget for said subwoofer?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What's the definition or normal room? Whats the total volume?
Check our new SVS subs - they do have low-level speakers input and crossover

B

booxcar

Enthusiast
My room is roughly 9' x 15' with a 15' ceiling. Note that it is a loft and there are sections of my room where the wall does not meet the ceiling and is open to the rest of the loft. I have increased my budget to 500-700 dollars and am currently looking at the PB12-nsd and the SB12-nsd.. Not too sure which one would suit my needs better though!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My room is roughly 9' x 15' with a 15' ceiling. Note that it is a loft and there are sections of my room where the wall does not meet the ceiling and is open to the rest of the loft. I have increased my budget to 500-700 dollars and am currently looking at the PB12-nsd and the SB12-nsd.. Not too sure which one would suit my needs better though!
This should give you an idea for Ported vs Sealed:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/909502-post3.html

But going with SVS Sub - you can't go wrong with ether... Sealed sub [SB] will be fine in your 2k cu-ft room, but moving into larger room - you'd want more punch which PB can deliver

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
My room is a normal size room with a very high ceiling but I bring the speakers out to the living room (which also has high ceilings) for when we have people over, which is often.
How important is the portability aspect here? I mean, there's a big difference between the SB12-NSD and say, the LFM1-EX in size and weight.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How important is the portability aspect here? I mean, there's a big difference between the SB12-NSD and say, the LFM1-EX in size and weight.
Yeah, even the PB-10 isn't friendly to moving around a lot. It is by no means small for a 10" sub.

B

booxcar

Enthusiast
I dont need it to be that portable.. I'm used to carrying around a full stack for my guitar and I only plan to move it around once every month or every other month. I decided to just dish out on the budget because I don't see a point in cheaping out on a sub when I have the money.

Going back to sealed vs ported

I have become an SVS fan before owning one and therefore am deciding between the SB12-NSD and the PB12-NSD because I have heard nothing but great things about both. I read over some sealed vs ported but I'm still on the fence of which is better for my application.

Thanks so much for the help so far!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sealed vs ported sort of comes down to this: ported will give you more "rumble" and authority down low. The sealed will sound more accurate but will give up extension to get it. So if you want a bottom dweller, go PB. If you are after a more articulate sound, go SB.

Not trying to steer you away from SVS either with the other recommendations, but there are quite a few excellent subs in your price range. Absolutely don't skimp on the sub if you have the funds, because you will be better off in the long run.

B

booxcar

Enthusiast
Yes, it's not that I don't want to look at other brands, but I just don't know where to start!! Are there any off the top of your head that you could name? Just found out that sonicboomaudio, the official SVS dealer in Canada is local to me so I can go pick it up!! If I go with SVS (which seems likely if I can pick it up locally), I think for party purposes, I may go with PB12 because I feel as though people generally like that bottom dwelling power of a powerful sub.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I think for party purposes, I may go with PB12 because I feel as though people generally like that bottom dwelling power of a powerful sub.
Depending on how deep your music goes, and some synthesized music goes quite deep indeed, I think that's a reasonable choice. And though I may not have a highly refined ear, I always thought well of my PC12-NSD's audio quality.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Didn't see it mentioned you were up north. With you being that close to Sonicboom, SVS is likely to be the easiest option :) These guys also have Canadian distributors: http://www.hsuresearch.com/ I believe Rythmik distributes in Canada via Ascend Acoustics: Subwoofers

kickerofelves

kickerofelves

Enthusiast
I use the Audioengine A5's as well for my computer set up with the Audioengine DAC.

For a couple of years I used the Outlaw M1 (essentially a Hsu STF1 I believe), its nice and enjoyable. I now use an Infinity Classia PSW310, a 10" sub. At its MSRP of $1200 I'd never give it a second look but the price at Vanns is only $299. It's wireless which is nice for placement where you can decrease the clutter and stuff around your desk.

The Infinity goes deeper and fills the room better of course but if I had it to do over again--I suppose I still can--I'd have used two Outlaw M1s they just combined so well with the A5s.

I had a SVS SB12 but never hooked it up to my computer system and ended up upgrading to a PC12 plus for my HT. It might have been an interesting combo but if I spent that money on such a quality sub for a computer I'd upgrade speakers I think.

B

booxcar

Enthusiast
Thanks for everyone`s help!! Ive decided to go with the SVS PB12-NSD. Ordered it today, they get a new shipment in soon and I should have it within a week! I`ll make sure to follow-up if people wanna know how satisfied I am!

-boox

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis