Looking for a receiver

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Guys,
I'm building a new HT setup, it will be just for movies and TV, no audio. I'm looking for a decent receiver or preamp processor, as I already have amps for the system. It doesn't have to be super fancy with all of the video switching stuff. I'd like 6.1 or 7.1. I just want something with a good decoder, and quiet preamp section. Oh yeah, I want it cheap. New or used I don't really care. I remember Gene saying that the Yamaha 2500 had a really good preamp in it. I wanted to try and keep the $$$$ under $400 if possible. Again, I am not concerned with the power output, but it must have pre-outs.
Thanks.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
$400 is a tough price bracket. You don't generally get the high quality parts in a new unit, and the older units are generally 5.1 if they are any good. I'd keep an eye on some older HK's on ebay, as well as some B stock Yamaha 1500 or older 5790's.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If a preamp is good, then maybe see if you can find a used Outlaw 950. Unfortunately, they're discontinued due to the release of the new 990.

R

rumble

Audioholic
Pioneer vsx-1015tx. Should be able to pick it up close to your budget. Looks like it will handle your needs and the auto speaker calibration and video up conversion is a bonus.

annunaki

annunaki

MacManNM said:
Guys,
I'm building a new HT setup, it will be just for movies and TV, no audio. I'm looking for a decent receiver or preamp processor, as I already have amps for the system. It doesn't have to be super fancy with all of the video switching stuff. I'd like 6.1 or 7.1. I just want something with a good decoder, and quiet preamp section. Oh yeah, I want it cheap. New or used I don't really care. I remember Gene saying that the Yamaha 2500 had a really good preamp in it. I wanted to try and keep the $$$$ under $400 if possible. Again, I am not concerned with the power output, but it must have pre-outs.
Thanks.

No Audio?!?!?! How will you hear your Movies and TV? :D

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
annunaki said:
No Audio?!?!?! How will you hear your Movies and TV? :D

Ha,Ha, you are such a joker annunaki. Ok poor choice of words. I meant, no Music, or 2 ch audio, just movies and TV.

ARE YOU HAPPY!!!!!!!!! :p

So any advice or are you going to just rip me for my poor writing skills?

A

ArxFatalis

Enthusiast
marantz SR 4500

I recently bought the new marantz SR 4500 high current receiver. Excellent receiver for the price ($400). It sounded so much better than the onkyo, pioneer and some denon budget receivers.

This beast has 80 clean watts , has preouts ;) , also upconverts to S-video + component. Also it sounded great for music, ( my main concern for a receiver as I don´t use it that much for movies)

The only think I dislike are the looks. It seems to plain looking or "spartan" . No flashy lights or blue colored circles (aka Harman Kardon) .
It´s still a very elegant receiver with a brushed metal face plate look.
Best bang for buck ! ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis