Looking for a Pre/Pro or Reciever with Analog XLR Inputs

P

panzeroceania

Junior Audioholic
I'm looking for a Pre/Pro or Reciever with Analog XLR Inputs. If it's just a preamp then Analog XLR output to a Power Amp would also be needed.

does anyone know where to find any good ones? It only needs to be Stereo, no video inputs or outputs required.

Kitsum

Junior Audioholic
I would like to buy the same thing with the addition of a couple of digital inputs, please. (A phono input would be great too).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I would like to buy the same thing with the addition of a couple of digital inputs, please. (A phono input would be great too).
I know of no power amp that has a digital input, and certainly not phono either. If you want all that facility you need a preamp as well.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I know of no power amp that has a digital input, and certainly not phono either. If you want all that facility you need a preamp as well.
Preamp, not amp.;)

My question is, why do you feel that you need XLR connections between components? Are the cable runs several yards? Budget components, even like the B&K Ref 50 preamp, are not true "balanced" components.

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
I'm looking for a Pre/Pro or Reciever with Analog XLR Inputs. If it's just a preamp then Analog XLR output to a Power Amp would also be needed.
does anyone know where to find any good ones? It only needs to be Stereo, no video inputs or outputs required.
What specific components are you trying to connect?

P

panzeroceania

Junior Audioholic
The pre-pro I have has XLR in and XLR out. B&K Ref 50 S2.. You do mean balanced XLR in and out? Check page 11.
http://www.bkcomp.com/fileadmin/content_products/manuals/ht_manual/Reference 50_S2_UM_13790_1104.pdf
yes I mean balanced XLR in and out, and thanks

is there anyway to tell if it (the Ref 50) or it's successor the Ref 70, have truly all balanced components, as per this article

http://www.avguide.com/blog/balanced-connection-better

basically he describes that some components will have balanced audio outputs but deal with audio internally, as unbalanced, if components in your set up keep switching between balanced and unbalanced this can be worse than just having unbalanced, unless you are sending things over long distances of cables or you are in an area with lots of EM and or have unshielded cables.

Of course this also means the source player needs to be 100% balanced, as does the amp that's recieving the signal from the pre/pro.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Of course this also means the source player needs to be 100% balanced, as does the amp that's recieving the signal from the pre/pro.
Good luck. You can either spend a ton of money, or forget balanced connections. The cheapest amps that are fully balanced still cost several thousand dollars.

Although, I do seem to remember that Denon made a budget preamp/processor for their professional line recently that had fully balanced outputs.

Edit: http://www.amazon.com/Denon-DN-A7100-Professional-Surround-Preamplifer/dp/B000Z8GUT2

Last edited:
C

class a

Junior Audioholic
Saw a Audio Research LS-22 tube pre/pro for sale at Ensemble for $1000. It has both balanced and RCA inputs. New this was about $4000. Short money for a high end sound. I would loved to have it but it doesn't have a home theater bypass.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis