Looking for a Power Amp with Analog XLR Inputs and Volume Control

P

panzeroceania

Junior Audioholic
I'm looking for a Power Amp with analog XLR inputs and volume control.

I have a source that uses Analog XLR outs, and I just want to connect them to speakers, it need to go through a reciever pre/pro but I do need some way to control the volume which is why the amp would need a volume control.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
ive seen only one newer reciever with balanced inputs, and was a few thousand dollars. lots of amps use them, but still pricy. i use a pair of Denon poa4400 mono amps that have xlr, a bit older, but i scored them for $400 on craigalist.

nearly all pro amps have them, check crown, behringer, all those at musician stores

P

panzeroceania

Junior Audioholic
and do the amps themselves have volume control? or do they require a preamp

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
The Denons I use have volume control, but preamp is still needed. The output from an MP3 player or Disc player or whatever you are using is not the right voltage or ohm rating for direct input to an amp = sounds like crap.

If you're aiming to save money, I can understand that, but don't expect it to sound very good

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Most if not all Pro amps have xlr inputs and gains on them....

I'm sure thats not what your looking for, but for the greater good amps are amps... for the most part.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Most if not all Pro amps have xlr inputs and gains on them....

I'm sure thats not what your looking for, but for the greater good amps are amps... for the most part.
Thank you for the re-iteration ;)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I think you have your head far to wrapped around this mysterious source component with XLR outputs. Are you hoping for some revolutionary sound difference between the standard unbalanced audio connections and XLRs?

I have a feeling you'll be dissapointed.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
I think you have your head far to wrapped around this mysterious source component with XLR outputs. Are you hoping for some revolutionary sound difference between the standard unbalanced audio connections and XLRs?

I have a feeling you'll be dissapointed.
Maybe he wants to run the cables 400 ft! Then they'll make a difference:D

I always like to keep my audio source at my neighbor's house, 3 doors down and run my amps from that!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe he wants to run the cables 400 ft! Then they'll make a difference:D

I always like to keep my audio source at my neighbor's house, 3 doors down and run my amps from that!
Yeah, beyond that there's not much point.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I have used both RCA and XLR on my system and I did not notice any difference in sound, but than again I can't notice any difference between my $330.00 HDMI from Verastarr compared to my $4.00 HDMI from monoprice. I guess it's just me. Don't take my word on this I might be wrong.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Panzeroceania, does this source have only XLR outputs? If so, I can certainly understand going with an amp with XLR inputs. Then, you won't have to be concerned about grounding issues, which can be a problem when you go from balanced to unbalanced. Pro amps tend to offer great bang for the buck as well.

As for sound, as the others say, there should be no difference...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis