looking for a new projector...

P

parkerbender

Audioholic
i'm looking at a few different projectors which are in my price rance, and i know they're all significantly different, but i was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these guys i foud on ebay...
they are:
mcsi mc-x2500
epson powerlite home 10+
infocus lp530

there's also a sharp notevision pg-m20x that i guess the bulb and fan won't turn on... might that be an easy fix?

the mcsi and the infocus both have burnt bulbs, but are both $100 cheaper than the epson. also a question i have, don't know if anybody will know, how specific are the bulbs, in that, if i have the physical ability to put a different bulb in, would it work, or is it common for different bulb styles to run at different voltages?

finally, if anyone has any other suggestions or has seen anything in the $250-300-ish range as far as a functional projector, that'd be great too!

thanks!

-parker

p.s. sorry to be so cheap on this forum, where it usually is not, i'm just a college kid playing around, instead of sanding drywall in my bathroom like i should be :) maybe if i'm lucky i can get something bought before the girlfriend gets home (that'll teach her to leave me alone all day :) )

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
As a college student I strongly suggest you do some serious reading around and take a look here for reviews as well as projectorreviews.com and projectorcentral.com

Then DO NOT BUY ON EBAY!!!

You didn't list your budget, but the projectors you are listing (mcsi?) don't fall into the range of something that I would ever suggest for a college student, or anyone else.

WHY?

1. "projector doesn't work" means anywhere from a $300 lamp replacement to a $500+ polarizer or other issue. A new projector will have a brand new lamp in it, which is covered by warranty!

2. eBay usually means it is used, which could spell all kinds of issues for the projector beyond those listed. A projector that is listed as 'working perfectly' may only have 100 hour left on the lamp. Sure, you get it for $200, but then a month later you dish out $300 for a new lamp on a projector that is outdated. That's crazy!

3. You say your budget is limited? Then buy new and get a lamp warranty! This is absolutely the best way to get the most out of your projector because you can use if heavily without fear of the lamp costing you anything in the next few years.

Recommendations?

Optoma H31 is available from Visual Apex for $500 then add a 3 year lamp replacement warranty for $100. So, for $600 you will be setup for the next 3 years with no worries at all.

I would more strongly recommend the updated InFocus IN72 which you can get from ProjectorPeople.com for $600 after rebate and $100 for 3 year lamp warranty - so $700.

That's $600 or $700 for a brand new product which is basically guaranteed to get you through the next few years. vs. eBay with no guarantee, and perhaps fully on known issues which will cost you money.

P

parkerbender

Audioholic
thanks for the advice, that's in the upper edge of my budget, but it still might be possible... are there any other deals on projectors in the preferably under or at $500 range? i'm pretty much taking the money out of the grocery fund, but i don't have any dependants, so, i think it's worth it :)

L

lcdguy

Junior Audioholic
i would seriously consider epson, I personally run an epson powerlite s3 and while it's not the most hi-def projector (it maxes out at 720p) it does the job for me. The other reasons are the bulbs are relatively cheap around 250-300 and last about 3000hrs on econo. The only reason you may not want it is that they are all 3 lcd technology not dlp. Finally the warranty is amazing on these projectors, 2 years road side assistence :).

But if i were to replace it i would get something from infocus or optoma.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
thanks for the advice, that's in the upper edge of my budget, but it still might be possible... are there any other deals on projectors in the preferably under or at $500 range? i'm pretty much taking the money out of the grocery fund, but i don't have any dependants, so, i think it's worth it :)
Those are really bottom of the barrel for cost while maintaining a quality that is truly enviable. Have no doubt, these two projectors are not 'cheap' wannabe projectors that will look 'okay'. Despite their lower resolution, they are designed for home theater and have contrast ratios and image processing and color accuracy that most business projectors costing far more, can't touch.

If you have some time and aren't dying to buy this second, then I would definitely keep my eyes out on some of the reputable sites and I would definitely say that the lamp warranty is worth it. I personally ran through my first lamp in 9 months then dropped $250 on a new lamp. Grrrr!!!

So, while you may be able to find a deal on the IN72 or the H31 it is still likely that you will be between 500 and 700 bucks overall. Might need to work a few more hours and wait another month to get that hundred bucks, but in the long run, it is definitely worth it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis