Looking for a good sub for approx $1000

C

cthomp

Junior Audioholic
I was hoping to get suggestions for a good sub for home theater use. Approx $1000 or less.

Room is 25L x 15W x 8H

Receiver is Denon AVR-3806
Mains- Vienna Acoustics Bach
Center- Vienna Acoustics Maestro
Surrounds- Vienna Acoustics Waltz

I have read a lot about HSU VTF-Mk2, Axiom EP500, and Velodyne

Thanks

C

cthomp

Junior Audioholic
Is Two better than one?

Would it be better to go with two 10" subs like the Rocket ULW10 instead
of one 12" sub like the Axiom EP500?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I don't know if the Rockets are the best choice for that size room. I think a ported subwoofer would yeild more output.

Look at the VTF-3, STF-3 if you want to save a few bucks, and some from SVS (PB-12ISD/2, PB-12Plus, and what ever else is near your budget)

SheepStar

C

cthomp

Junior Audioholic
Thanks Sheep

I was begginning to think nobody liked me! 74 views and one response!:eek:

Last edited:
G

ggunnell

Audioholic
cthomp, it's just that this question is answered so many times...

I agree with sheep -- you've got a large volume and not a lot to spend.

The SVS's are the most logical choices here.

If you want a musical system and are willing to piece it together, get an ACI Titan now (a little over your price) and save up for a second one...

C

cthomp

Junior Audioholic
Rocket UFW12

Any opinions on the Rocket UFW12? If I need to spend $1500 or so to get a good sub, I will!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
If your going to spend 1500, get a PB-21Plus/2. oodles of output and extension with relatively low THD.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-plus2.cfm

You could also get 2 VTF-3s which would be really nice.

I read a review on the UFW-12 and they said there wasn't much output below 25Hz.

SheepStar

S

Steve42

Audioholic
If you are considering the Plus/2, take a look at the Earthquake MKV-15 too. Can be had for around $1400 delivered from authorized dealers. Check this post I made yesterday in another thread where I traded emails with a guy who sold his Maestro for a MKV-15:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=169575&postcount=11

One MKV-15 will fill that room easily and take up a lot less floor space too. Plus it will have much better mid-bass response while still going extrememly low.

Good Luck

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I notice that you have some very nice Vienna Acoustics mains. How much music do you listen to on that system? I have personally compared some SVS and Hsu subs and have found that I prefer Hsu units for music. Other people might have an opposite opinion. You might consider a pair of SVS cylinders as well.

http://svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-plpow1.cfm

A pair of Hsu VTF-3 subs would be killer too. brian32672 has a pair and from what he's told me, they rock his room (literally).

SMM

SMM

Audioholic
Steve42 said:
If you are considering the Plus/2, take a look at the Earthquake MKV-15 too. Can be had for around $1400 delivered from authorized dealers. Check this post I made yesterday in another thread where I traded emails with a guy who sold his Maestro for a MKV-15:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=169575&postcount=11

One MKV-15 will fill that room easily and take up a lot less floor space too. Plus it will have much better mid-bass response while still going extrememly low.

Good Luck
Can you pls let me know what dealers have the MKV-15 for $1400 delivered? Thks!

S

Steve42

Audioholic
SMM said:
Can you pls let me know what dealers have the MKV-15 for $1400 delivered? Thks!
Hi,

If you call Earthquake for Custom install dealers in your area you could probably get about the same price of $1299 + shipping (Custom installers will drop ship it to you directly from Earthquake). However, you can use the dealer I used too that's fine, as he drop-ships anywhere in the US. You have a PM with all the info.

Steve

S

simpleHT

Audioholic Intern
I would consider Aperion S-12 with cherry veneer for $599.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
cthomp said:
I was hoping to get suggestions for a good sub for home theater use. Approx $1000 or less.

Room is 25L x 15W x 8H

Receiver is Denon AVR-3806
Mains- Vienna Acoustics Bach
Center- Vienna Acoustics Maestro
Surrounds- Vienna Acoustics Waltz

I have read a lot about HSU VTF-Mk2, Axiom EP500, and Velodyne

Thanks
For HT use, it's hard to beat SVS. The SVS/Plus is only $1000 delivered, and the plus-2 is $1300 delivered. If space isnt an issue, I'd splurge and buy the extra output offered by the plus2, and you'll be assured to have a large grin on your face when it first breathes to life.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis